BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We want to take the kids crabbing tomorrow. Anywhere from LBI to Cape May. Any ideas on where it is good and we can rent a boat? Comments very much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
tides arent best...high water at 6am and 6pm(crab early or late) in manahawkin bay. as you drive over onto the island you'll see a place on your left. go past and do a u-turn on your left.
or head up into barnegat light(northern portion of island) and there are a few boat rentals between 14-8th street on the bayside.
you dont have an email listed...shoot me an email...for some shorebound crabbing.
[email protected]

Nick

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Frank's Boat Rentals in Strathmere, No Bones in Wildwood, and Sterling Harbor in Wildwood all have rental boats. I keep in touch with all of the shops and the crabbing reports have been very good. Some of the reports up in LBI have been unbelievable.
Whatever you decided good luck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
DEPENDS: North Wildwood you got DAD'S on the Ocean Drive , Grassy Sound at foot of the Old North Wildwood Bridge, Canal at 18th & Delaware ave Rio Grande you got Pier 47 Note Canal and Pier 47 have canopy boats

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
I crabbed Manahwkin Creek yesterday morning, and the results were poor.

15 keepers from first light until 3:00 PM from 4 cage style traps and 4 net baskets.

The biggest problem was that there was group of 5 or 6 people camped out there in a big RV, and they had over 80 traps spread out over the entire area.

I arrived before first light, and I was disappointed to see all of the decent access areas were already covered up with their traps that they left in place overnight.

Sadly, when I talked to the offenders, they told me they were approched by the police whom informed them that they were not allowed to overnight camp in the area. However, rather than make them leave, he allowed them to stay ...
doesn't make sense to let them stay if it is not permitted.

They sure "effed it up" for anyone else trying to crab in that area. The only good news was that they had so many traps that their production was limited. In the time, I got my 15, they probably got 30. Most of the time, it took them so long to tend to their traps that plenty of them were already emptied of bait by the time they got around to them.

Also, CO came around & THOROGHLY checked everyone for undersized crabs. I saw him give warnings to at least 3 people, but they were not grossly abusing the law, so he let them slide after releasing the few small ones that were still alive.

The good news was that I got to see a beautiful rainbow at first light, and I caught at least 10 baby black drum in my crab pots.

Good Luck wherever you go.

- Gr8ful

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
I was out for two hours friday, midday. Cost me four bucks for chicken thighs and caught three dozen nice crabs, with at least half in the 6-6 1/2 inch range. Shoot me an e-mail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks guys for all the info. We did not get out yesterday due to rainy weather forecast, but will soon and now we have many options. Thanks again.

Russ

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Next nice day you get, check out South Dock marina at 10th and the bay in North Wildwood. They have brand new pontoon boats with bimini tops. Very nice for those hot and sunny days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts