BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now is the time to go crabbing,if you have any plans to go, do it now. the crabs are big and they are plentiful.not going to say where i was today but the big crabs aer now here. we caught our first loaded bushel in an hour . we crabbed slack tide and the beginning of the incoming tide. our best action was in less than 2 feet of water, when the water got to 3 feet we had to move closer to shore because the bite would stop. must of caught 30 blowfish in our traps. ended up with just over 2 jammed bushels of big full meaty crabs.all on chicken. used my new force 9.9 i got from catch22 on the barn and she purred like a kitten.she pushed that boat much faster than my 6 hp i was using. so go get them guys the crabs are here for the next month and then they will start to disappear. bb

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
BB,

We went on Saturday, late start and wrong tide and still managed 5 dozen, none less than 5 inches..............No traps, handlines only :D ;)

We didn't get any blowfish but did net and eel! :eek: about 20 inches long you should a seen that action in a dipnet with a bunkerhead and a crab in it too. :cool:

You have it right, now is the time. My crabbibng season usually ends in early OCT.............stripers you know :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
i caught the biggest crabs i have ever caught last fall while striper fishing in the middle of the bay!!! while chunking!!! those crab were huge, many 7"ers

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Yeah Kevin, they were huge! Can't wait to get some more with you this year. (Oh, and a striper for you!) ;) :D

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bawugna, juggin the tide does not matter much, we move to the crabs. every time we pull the trap , the least it gets moved is 6 or 7 feet. we go after the crabs , not wait for them to come to us.the crabbin is hot now so go get them. have enough bait for two more trips, not sure if im gonna buy some for a fe wmore trips. see if the stripers start early, have plenty in the frfeezer fo rtrhe winter. bb

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Originally posted by brown bob:
bawugna, juggin the tide does not matter much, we move to the crabs. every time we pull the trap , the least it gets moved is 6 or 7 feet. we go after the crabs , not wait for them to come to us.the crabbin is hot now so go get them. have enough bait for two more trips, not sure if im gonna buy some for a fe wmore trips. see if the stripers start early, have plenty in the frfeezer fo rtrhe winter. bb
BB, You are doing your best to get me to buy like 35 traps aren't ya
We move all over the place too. We only stay in an area till the crabbing slows a bit or we start to pull mostly smaller stuff. Then we move over to another location. Years ago I used to scout spots but as of recent I have been using spots I know from those scouting ventures. I know what you mean though about those who just sit in one spot and think the crabs are marching toward them. We like the last 2 of the outgoing and the first 3 of the incoming. We will settle for the whole outgoing too. The idea is that we like to get them as they move to the shallows and then once they are holed up in the last remaining water in the cuts, we go nuts!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no bawunga, there is nothing wrong with your way, ive done it that way before,and many others do it that way. different strokes for diffrent folks. i just like to hit it hard and be done in 3 or 4 hours, usually. the wife and i sit down at eat 3 or 4 dozen in a blink of an eye so i need alot of crabs . last night 3 1/2 and tonight prob 2 or so. bb

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
BB, Wow! you guys are crab eatin machines!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts