BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im going to be taking the family out for a weekend crabbing trip this upcoming weekend. The last time i went crabbing though was 10 years ago and we used to go out of manahawkin bridge area all the time. Where are some good spots to catch um up at? I heard the crabbing has been fun and i have a bunch of neises and nephews who will have a ball with it. but if im giving up an offshore weekend then i wanna get up to date on the crabbing info! I used to normally have freezers full of herring now, but i tend to stay out in the saltwater these days in the salt water as much as possible. Besides location i could also use some recommendations on where to grab some frozen bait from. Thanks guys, I can basically launch anywhere from the beach haven area down to cape may and anywhere in between. Thank again
Phil

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I couln't keep the crabs off my bait at Graveling Point so I would suggest somewhere in the Mullica River area would be good. Bring bug spray because the gnats are out. Chestnut Neck or Great Bay marina for launch, position yourself near a feeder creek near the bay. Chicken or bunker for bait. Scotts B&T or the Marinas for bait or a grocery store for chicken.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so great bay then seems to be one of the best shots these days? Any other suggestions?
phil

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so great bay then seems to be one of the best shots these days? Any other suggestions?
phil

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Originally posted by the love from below:
I've had good luck in skinny waters, and a tip from a friend... crab goes good with weakies..
thats wherwe i get 95 % of my crabs, 3 ft and less. bb

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all u guys in the great bay, im still considering manahawking for this weekend just cause im more familiar with those bay water than great bay.. but if everyone is killing them in great bay then i might have to try there!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think that might be the play, but i checked the crabbing section on scotts bt webstie and it doesnt look like anyone is crabbing yet. Who knows, still deciding...the fluking looks like its starting to turn on so mebbe i will change up the plans..i dont like the reports from scotts to spend a good fishing day crabbing if its not really on yet!
phil

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
It's a shame you're staying local, Schnaitmens in MD is a good spot to get crabs but it's a 2 hour drive.

Keep the bait small, chicken necks seem to be the favorites and make sure you do not get any bug spray or sun screen on the bait, that will keep em away for sure.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Phil, it is still a little early for excellent crabbing but it is picking up. Barnegat Bay just warmed up into the low 70's so you should be able to get some action in Manahawkin. I threw over one of my Maryland style pots Monday next to my boat slip (usually not the best location) and pulled it last night. I had 6 barely keepers. The crabs were sweet but not full of meat. It is going to take a few weeks for most of them to fatten up.

You should be able to get bunker form the boat rental place. If not Tony's in Manahawkin or Fisherman Headquarter in Ship Bottom will have what you need.

Fluking up my end of the bay had been slow.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Alex,
Still up in the air as to what im going to do this weekend. I want to get out there and try and snag some nice crabs for a little crab bake action but still not sure. This weekend weather is looking questionable too for taking little kids out. Who knows, thanks again for the info
phil

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Ive had the pots off the dock at the end of the street all week and got about a dozen keepers all week. This dock always seems to be loaded with spiders and green crabs and never really gets alot of blueclaws for some reason.

Anyway, water is still a little cold for the crabs. They have been thick in deeper water when fishing bait and probably will get very active on the mud flats in the afternoon. Let us know how you make out. I usually dont devote time to crabbing until July and August.

Good luck,

RyanF

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Boy I could have used those greenies on Thursday. Went to every B&T shop in Tuckerton Weast Creek and Mystic and no one had them. Luckily I let some guy tie up to my boat over a wreck and he had some to share.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts