BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me the other day that crabs go into the ocean to mate during the full moon. Is this true? I've never heard that before but it seems to make sense because several weeks ago I had so many crabs I could've had a feast every other night but this past week its been nothing but shorts that crawl out of the traps when I pull them up. Is anyone else getting the same?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have heard that they shed on a full moon but it's not and exact science. These last few days in the Barnegat area it's been the best crabbing so far this year. Today I pulled the traps and had a bushel full of nice crabs with at least 2 dozen being number ones. So go figure.

·
Registered
62,424 Posts
Crabs molt when they're "full," which takes longer between cycles the older they get. There's no way it can line up with the moon cycles, which are consistent.

As for mating, I've caught plenty of "couples" in the lagoons, creeks, and bays, and basically never catch a blue claw out in the inlet or ocean.

And I do occasionally put my crab hotels in the inlet for a tide or two to load up on white leggers. Whites, spiders, calicos, but never Blues.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I know somebody that got 80 nice jimmies this morning up in the Fort area, & my wife & son have gotten a 5 gallon bucket full this afternoon sitting at the dock in Wildwood, just playing around, so I'm guessing the full moon isn't affecting them this time around

·
Registered
76,204 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts