BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
The are out in great force. If you have a spot you like to go, now is the time.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I've been getting tons of them lately but most are small keeper size, which I don't bother with. Anyone getting any decent sized ones yet?

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
I've been getting tons of them lately but most are small keeper size, which I don't bother with. Anyone getting any decent sized ones yet?
That is what I am getting. A great many that are between 4.75"-5.0", but very little to none over that. They're legal, but that is a LOT of picking for not that much meat.

The traps are out, but not in full force, and I'm not keeping any yet. Just monitoring daily so that when it does pick up, I'm ready to carpet bomb the area.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
checked a pot at my dock at bayway and only had small males in it

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oc md

last weekend soaked 3 pots for 48 hrs with a bait change at 24 hrs and came up with nothing! A couple of small (3-4") males and that was it. Usually at this time of year I'll catch anywhere from 12-20 keepers at my dock over that same soak time. Hope it improves as the water temps warm up, but so far in MD crabbing has been a disaster ($100+ for 1 dozen Jumbos; $300+ for a bushel!)

·
Registered
378 Posts
You guys have got me pumped! I've been busying looking for stripers, unsuccessfully I might add, but I'm going to toss a pot in this week to see if anything is hanging out in my spots!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I have gotten a few 6" males in the SP area and put make twice that number of smaller keeper females. I talked to a comm crabber who said his pots are not getting a lot of males.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just pulled my two pots. Pictures to follow. Pot one - 1 male. Pot 2 - 2 males, 1 fatty blowfish who I considered eating but let him swin free. 24 hour soak with bunker. Not ready yet in middle Barnegat Bay.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
For what it's worth, it's not you. Got some friends of friends in BB Bay; not hearing good crabbing reports out of there yet.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I did not get going last year until late June so we will see. All in all, middle bay sucks. We are in the middle of MI and BI so less freshly oxygenated water. Lots of brown algae from the fertilizer run off. Lots of boat traffic. If that inlet in Mantoloking stayed open after Sandy, it would be a different ball game. ALSO, I truly believe the blowfish explosion is decimating the crab pop in BB. Speaking of which, if I grab a small one, I'll bring it down for your tank JZ, if you want it. My chew everything up though.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
2 pots baited with chicken backs and mystery meat from the bottom of freezer on a 24 hr soak. Not a damn thing. 2 white perch that was it. Creek mouth in 4-6' of water. New gretna area. Won't be back! Crabbing has sucked here all season last few years. It's not what it used to be that's for sure!

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
.......... Speaking of which, if I grab a small one, I'll bring it down for your tank JZ, if you want it. My chew everything up though.
We are currently accepting donations of baby "anything." :thumbsup:

Anything the size of an index finger or smaller will be happily added to the "guest" house.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts