BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Know a few spots to catch them but there are food advisories against eating them at all. I dont mind eating big bluegills and pumpkinseeds as well.

can anybody point me in the right direction to catch(AND EAT) crappies.
Im in burlington county.

Not sure if posting specific areas here is allowed so email me if you want to be discreet.
[email protected]

Nick

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
There is heavy mercury contamination in all SJ ponds. I would advise against eating too many non-freshly stocked fish.

For crappie, try the larger ponds/lakes. Mostly all ponds have them, but they are usually tiny. The bigger lakes have bigger crappies, usually.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is heavy mercury contamination in all SJ ponds. I would advise against eating too many non-freshly stocked fish.

For crappie, try the larger ponds/lakes. Mostly all ponds have them, but they are usually tiny. The bigger lakes have bigger crappies, usually.
Yeah I agree. Just lookin to grab a few for a mini fish fry with my 5 year old son.

George, got your email thanx.

Makes me wonder about me.....I lived on bluegills, pickerel, and bass when i was younger..... last time I checked Im not glowing at night. :D

My concern is for my son. only thing I have let him eat out of freshwater has been the stocked trout.

Nick

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Mercury doesn't make you glow at night. It sits in your system and slowly kills you, kinda like lead or arsenic poisoning. Eating a few of the fish once a year won't kill you, though. If you ate 20 of them every week for your entire life you might notice something, though. Eating freshly stocked trout is fine, since they aren't in the water long enough to accumulate a lot of mercury.

I ate a lot of freshwater fish too when I was younger. It hasn't affected me or my family too much yet.....

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Mercury doesn't make you glow at night. It sits in your system and slowly kills you, kinda like lead or arsenic poisoning. Eating a few of the fish once a year won't kill you, though. If you ate 20 of them every week for your entire life you might notice something, though. Eating freshly stocked trout is fine, since they aren't in the water long enough to accumulate a lot of mercury.

I ate a lot of freshwater fish too when I was younger. It hasn't affected me or my family too much yet.....

With all due respect, what do you base this on? Can you name one person in New Jersey who has been effected by mercury poison from eating fish?

·
Registered
14,020 Posts

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
With all due respect, what do you base this on? Can you name one person in New Jersey who has been effected by mercury poison from eating fish?
I base this on exactly what Rob posted, and some other NJDEP internal reports.

You can do what you want. Like I said, I have eaten plenty of pond fish in the past, but I don't do it anymore. That works for me, but it may not be for you. I'm just passing on what I've researched and read over the years about our local waters. Take it for what you want.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Don't let those warnings scare you away from eating some crappies. As long as you don't eat them on a regular basis (in fact, no other food is good for you on a regular basis ;)). You can do a few things to lessen any contaminants:

1. The older the fish the more likely it may have higher concentrations of toxins. Therefore, keep the younger ones. With crappie, throw back unusually large specimens and keep some of the average size.

2. A lot of toxins are stored in fatty tissue. Discard the skin and filet the fish if you can. Cook the fish so the fat drips off (bake or broil on a rack).

If you occasionally eat crappie (every few months) and follow the above I don't think you will have anything to worry about.

If you read even further into fish contamination warnings you will find that almost every species (fresh and salt water) have some kind of consumption warnings. But our government has purposefully left out any warnings on commercial farm raised fish. Read up on those. The water conditions are horrendous and they sometimes feed the fish contaminated food. If I was going to have one fish meal every two months I would rather eat a locally caught crappie than a farm raised tilapia or farmed raised salmon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.