BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
4,256 Posts
There is heavy mercury contamination in all SJ ponds. I would advise against eating too many non-freshly stocked fish.

For crappie, try the larger ponds/lakes. Mostly all ponds have them, but they are usually tiny. The bigger lakes have bigger crappies, usually.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,256 Posts
Mercury doesn't make you glow at night. It sits in your system and slowly kills you, kinda like lead or arsenic poisoning. Eating a few of the fish once a year won't kill you, though. If you ate 20 of them every week for your entire life you might notice something, though. Eating freshly stocked trout is fine, since they aren't in the water long enough to accumulate a lot of mercury.

I ate a lot of freshwater fish too when I was younger. It hasn't affected me or my family too much yet.....

 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,256 Posts
With all due respect, what do you base this on? Can you name one person in New Jersey who has been effected by mercury poison from eating fish?
I base this on exactly what Rob posted, and some other NJDEP internal reports.

You can do what you want. Like I said, I have eaten plenty of pond fish in the past, but I don't do it anymore. That works for me, but it may not be for you. I'm just passing on what I've researched and read over the years about our local waters. Take it for what you want.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top