BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have caught fluke with what looks like baby lobsters in their belly.

Are they baby lobster or mantis shrimp(do they come this far north?)or something else?

Either way they sure look like large crawfish.

So has anybody ever tried to use big crawfish for fluke in the bay?

I tried to buy a few big crawdads late last summer(damn they cost more than buying lobster to eat)to no luck on size.

This spring I am going to go up north and catch my own just to satisfy my curiosity and try them out.Before anybody trys to warn me that they will not live in salt.I don't care as I might freeze them instead of trying to baby sit them anyway.I just want them fresh and fishable.

Ok now that I have said that I am going to try them.

We need to look at ways to fish them.You can tip a jig/bucktail and hop it along.Fish it plain just fish finder and plain hook.

Any other ideas something off the wall or just curios things that come up now and then.Sometime its the crazy sh!t that works pretty good.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Here is a Mantis shrimp

Here is a Ghost shrimp, sounds like what you are seeing..I find these in fluke as well..

And here is Gulps answer for the Ghost shrimp..they come in different colors...ive used them and caught....hope this helped...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get the mantis in new jersey?
If so bay or ocean not that I want to spot burn.:D
Some of the things we pull out of stomach is not the freshest you know.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
the "lobster/crawfish" looking ghost shrimp in both NJ backwater and in the D bay...im not expert on those critters but their is a time where you see more fluke puking them up..im guessing they make themselves more visible for a reason, molting or breeding...just a guess here, im sure someone knows....

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Find a lot of Mantis Shrimp in flounder. They live in holes and crevices on the bottom or along sod banks. Powerful weapons in their front legs that can crack a crab shell wide open and even shatter glass. I'm guessing that a stalking flounder can see the movement at the opening of their den and just move in for the kill. When an unsuspecting Mantis comes out the flounder just inhales it so guickly that the Mantis never has the chance or room to cock it's front leg to defend itself.

We usually find a lot of Mantis Shrimp in stripers for about a week during late fall. As long as a Matis stays in or near it's hole it's pretty much protected. I'm again guessing but when we see lots in stripers I figure that the Mantis must be migrating and they swim to either deeper water or maybe out to the ocean. When they are swimming they are a much easier target and stripers can just BIGGESTJACK them down.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mantis shrimp are some bada$$ little creatures. There's been a lot of reports of guys getting their fingers split to the bone by mantis's. Do a quick google search.

I had one in a fish tank for a few days, I had to lose it when I woke up one morning and the corner of the tank was shattered and the water was on the floor

I've caught them while drifting in barnegat bay and raritan bay, but I think I've only caught about 4. Used to get them all the time when I was doing research with noaa

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Two front legs have evolved into deadly hammers. They cock them and are able to store enough energy in them so that when they release they can shatter a crabs shell and even glass. One video shows a crab in a large glass jar. The Mantis attacked and took a minute to figure out it wasn't getting to the crab so it hammed the jar. It shattered like you wacked it with a hammer. Saw another video where one killed a crab. Out of nowhere comes this small octopus and it chased the Mantis off. Mantis came right back and jumped on top of the octopus and hammered it's head. Octo jetted ink and left in a hurry.

I caught two one day and had them in my aquarium. Didn't even know what they were. One was about nine inches and the big boy was fourteen inches long. At first they looked like an easy meal and figured they wouldn't last long. Next day and I had dead fish including bluefish on the bottom. Some where ripped in half. Sat there wondering what the hell happened when a mullet swam by. Mantis just reached out like a praying mantis and killed it then chewed it in half. Called the Camden Aquarium and they came down the next day with their tank truck. Guy was amazed at the size of the big one with the bad attitude. He had never seen one that big and the book I had said they only reach twelve inches. They took it and about a week later called me. Said they put in in their local back bay display but it quickly killed everything so they moved it to their troubled tank where they put things that didn't get along with their neighbors. A few days later it had killed them off. When he called me he told me to watch the one I had kept because they have enough power to break a persons finger and should be kept in acrylic aquariums because they can shatter glass with one blow.Calling this thing a shrimp may just piss it off. :D

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
They don't just hammer with the front mandibles; they can stab with them too. :eek:

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I was fishing CM beach two years ago and foul hooked two of them the same day. Never caught one before or since, maybe I'll google to see if they do migrate like Fred was thinking. Used one for bait gave the other away, wished I had froze it to use later. I did read they supposed to be tasty.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
No way. That thing is sick!! Never seen one... how big are they guys???

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Mantis shrimp live in burrows. The tend to leave their burrows in low light conditions and night time to search for food. Stripers will commonly move into those areas at night to forage on the creatures when they are more vulnerable to predation out of their burrows. Stripers will crush them before swallowing them with their pharyngeal teeth. I guess the stomach acid of fluke and other predators that eat them must disable the mantis shrimp before they tear the predators stomach to shreds.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but anyone ever use crayfish for tog?

I've got a spot by my house loaded with crayfish and have always thought about giving them a try.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work, but why are you guys trying to waste these delicious crawdads? ill trade you a bushel of crabs for a bushel of crawfish.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Rumor is the mantis hits with the power of a .22 caliber bullet.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Eh, dirty creek in pa vs bayous of Louisiana. Boil them with some old bay, potatos, corn and sausage and I don't think there'll be too much of a difference

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but anyone ever use crayfish for tog?

I've got a spot by my house loaded with crayfish and have always thought about giving them a try.
Yep thats on the try this season list too.
Hey when season rolls around can you let me know one of these secret spots for crawfish like to come up and catch a few.Just for research of course.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts