BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new here and would like to know how you like using these flies. heres my first crease fly and what I look like on the water.

I hope the picture posting worked.

·
Registered
315 Posts

you had Http:// twice

maby Brad Buzzi will chime in here he is the crease fly master..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Your crease fly looks OK you should use a larger hook with a larger gap. The gap on your crease fly appears to tight JAY

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Chugger Flies look good to me, possibly more hook gap, & welcome to the barn. Do some more on your profile & possibly someone will be in touch. Again---Welcome. Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for posting the pictures, I need to learn how to do it here. I going to leave a larger gap or get a bigger hook. Good advice! Ive never used these crease flies before. Have any of you fine folks? If so how do you like them?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Chugger,
How do you like the Maritime Skiff, my friend just bought one this winter. Hoping to get some quality time on it with the crease flies.
Rocco

·
Registered
420 Posts
I fish Crease flies on a regular basis, both in Salt and Fresh Water. I guess I tie a modified version of the pattern. I tie mine without the foam hanging over the back of the hook, so the body tapers into the tail. Though I tie some with a the open front, on most I insert a foam plug to fill it up. And the third difference is that I tie mine with a narrow profile, unless I know I'll be running into peanut bunker. I fish them either top water, and the reason I plug the front, subsurface off of a sink tip or sinking line.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Since Brad hasn't replied, I'll post some pics of his flies from a past SJCFA mtg:

I don't use Crease Flies too much, but that's only because I don't really do much topwater fly fishing in the salt. But when I have used them, they work pretty well. They don't give as much of a pop as a popper would, so they are probably better to use with spooky fish or in really calm water conditions. I use them more like sliders than anything.

[ 03-24-2004, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I love the Crease Fly - but suck at decorating them. That's Jodi's job

Fished last Sept will Billy Holblitzell and creamed em' on the crease fly.

When the wind picked up got em on Sluggos and Deadly Dicks.

[ 03-23-2004, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Brian E. Mullaney ]

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Chugger, I agree the gap is alittle small but I think it will work. Give it a try. I haven't used many crease flys. I stick with the poppers. It looks more like a popper from the picture. I hope to use more this year. I watched Brad make some at the SJCFA table at the Atlantic City Show, so I want to makes some and give them a fair shot. Nice boat too! Let us know how you make out this year. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Gentelmen....good points from all, but lets look at the basics.
1) Get the fly in the water, in the conditions that you plan to fish, and closely observe the flys action.
2) Be sure that it keels at rest as you like it to. Sometimes they lay on their side, sometimes they sit butt down. Again, which action do you and the fish desire?
3) The basics of an open hook gape cannot be ignored, as fish will eat it and not become hooked. Be sure to incorportate this concept into each and every fly that you tie, as it is paramount.

Your fly looks very nice. A few tiny changes will have topwater fish exploding on your fly and a bent rod in your hands! The hard part is done, as you have tied your first....Try to hook up with a tier who may be abel to spend a few hours with you to help you shorten the learning curve.
Best of luck with your tying. Enjoy your new boat.Be sure to ask questions and have fun!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Chugger - Your CF looks great. I would try to get a larger gap. If you like the shape of your fly, try to look at other hooks. You might just have to use a longer shank hook like 4x instead of a 2x or 3x. Alternatively, use as different shape hook; for example, look at the shapes of Mustad vs Varivas. If you are using a #1 4X long hook, try a 2/0 2x long hook - the shanks might have the overall same length, but the gap may be bigger. Also if you fly floats to much or sinks to much, try a different hook that might he heaver or lighter or add some led to sink it more of plug it with foam to make it float.

When I get a shape the I think works, I make a bunch with different hooks and sizes. I only do the tail and glue the foam on. I write on the outside of the foam the type of the hook, the type of finish (i.e. 30min epoxy) and the pattern number. I do not color them. Once I do this, I take them to the water and test them out. I will also bring a scissor and a razor to trim and tune.

Keep up the good work. They don?t have to look good, but they have to work.

Brad.

ps. if you need help, let me know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts