BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be fishing in an area known for croakers. I don't see much about targeting Croakers on the fly. I am new to the flyrod and want to fish for what's around. Through my own experience, I haven't seen much w/ croakers on conventional gear using arti's either.
Any suggestions??
Thanks and be nice to the new guy!

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Longshanks Welcome to the board & I hope you enjoy your stay. As to flying for croakers, I have no knowledge but I'm sure some of our "deep" flyers will have some imput. Again welcome. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I've caught seabass on the fly, which are just about the same thing (bottom and bait-wise, that is). Just use a heavy sinking line to get to the bottom, and throw on a flashy clouser or jiggy. They'll hit it, especially if there are lots of them in the area. If you're fishing offshore in 60' of water, then I wouldn't recommend bringing the fly rod (more hassle than it's worth). But if they're in 20 ft of water or less with little current, a 350-550 grain sinking line is all you need to hit bottom. When you hit bottom, just jig the fly in and back (eg. let the fly settle to the bottom, then strip once, and let the line slide back out the rod, and repeat until you want to move), so you don't have to keep retrieving and casting all day.

[ 08-07-2004, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I know that Green Machine and I have both caught croakers on the fly. We don't target them but they are a by-product of the area that we fish.

They hit anything on or near the bottom but the fly has to be small.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
The biggest croaker I've ever caught was on a bucktail deceiver off a jetty at night. I thought at first it was a weakie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts