BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well . . as mentioned many times now . . hopefully the big Croakers show up later this summer to fill the void left by weakfish. Believe me I am easily entertained catching bluefish but Croakers have become one of my favorite species. I use a nice light 6'6" Shimano Clarus with a Diawa 1300 Tournament SS and ultra-sharp Gamakatsu Octopus hooks. To me, there are few fish out there more fun to catch then Croakers. Okay . . they may not get gigantic but they are aggressive and easy for my wife to catch, tasty on the grill . . . mmmm . . . love fresh Croaker . . and unbelievably numerous when they are around. We've travelled to Chincoteage late in the summer the last few years and fish them right from the pier in the campground. Last year we were down there the week after labor day. It rained cats and dogs most of the week but the fish didn't care. And I caught the biggest Croakers I've ever seen in my life. I didn't weight them but they were big and fat. It is hard to beat rollling out of the sleeping bag at 5:30 and carrying your coffee cup to the pier and having a bucket full of big Croakers within an hour.

Sorry I'm waxing poetic on Croakers . . but hey . . these days they are one of the few fish around that doesn't seem to be in trouble and they are so easy to catch. Hmmm . . . gotta go check my late-summer vacation schedule.

· Registered
6,122 Posts
A bend in the rod is a bend in the rod . Great for people that dont fish a lot , here is hoping they are here as an option .

They haven't been around in the waters I fish for like 5 yrs, but when they were You couldnt keep them off your clam baited hook. Is there a catch limit on Croakers?..or Kingfish?

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aren't they bony ? How do you cook them on the grille ?
They are a little bony . . but if you know that going in you aren't stuffing a whole fillet in your mouth at a time. I fillet them. I fillet everything. This, by default, reduces the boniness. I discovered my favorite recipe by happy accident. We were camping in Chincoteague and caught a nice mess of Croakers from the pier in front of the campsite. As a rule, we don't cook seafood in the RV just because of the smell so if it has gills or scales it gets cooked outside on the grill. The only thing I had handy to cook them in was some poppy seed dressing. Well . . let me tell you . . what dumb luck that was! I just put a piece of foil on the grill, put the fillets on and poured some poppy seed dressing over them. I have also marinated them in Lowry's Lemmon Pepper marinade. Also good.

· Registered
1,219 Posts
Reading some of the posts on this site you will note that some guys don't like croakers. I for one absolutely love them. They are great to catch and good to eat in a lot of ways. I love to make fish cakes out of them. For those who don't know, they are in the weakfish family. There were some big ones around two years ago. I didn't get any last year for the exception of a few and they were small and went back. I have caught these fish up to 15" - 16" in length and FAT. They put up one hell of a fight on light tackle. I can almost guarantee that if they come in like they did a few years ago (not counting last year) many of you guys will be changing your mind since weakfish is out of the question this year and hopefully for a few years to come. You might not eat them, but catching them will keep you busy all day. It's definitely a good day to have the kids out. BRING THEM ON!!!

· Registered
4,773 Posts
Croakers are awesome! I had 4 of them at 5 lbs each offa LBI in september, blast to catch. The little ones are supposedly good striper bait livelined..... Or medium sized ones for sharks, now thats a good time :p

· Registered
2,707 Posts
I LOVE croakers. Fun to catch. We did not get to the Delaware Bay much last summer, but before that, seems that was our catch of the day. They are boney, I think, like trout. You have to work for the meat. It is nice and flaky. I bought Tilapia and Salmon at the Acme the other day. I saw they had Croakers and asked the women how often do they have them and she said all year. I'll go back and get some because the Tilapia was a disappointment. Where does Acme get them at this time of year????

· Registered
2,664 Posts
Kids & Croakers

Kids & croakers...... What a great way to spend a day on the water teaching the next generation the sport of fisihng. For those who don't like catching croakers, I can give you some numbers where they aren't. :D

· Registered
3,527 Posts
Reading some of the posts on this site you will note that some guys don't like croakers. I for one absolutely love them. They are great to catch and good to eat in a lot of ways. I love to make fish cakes out of them. For those who don't know, they are in the weakfish family. There were some big ones around two years ago. I didn't get any last year for the exception of a few and they were small and went back. I have caught these fish up to 15" - 16" in length and FAT. They put up one hell of a fight on light tackle. I can almost guarantee that if they come in like they did a few years ago (not counting last year) many of you guys will be changing your mind since weakfish is out of the question this year and hopefully for a few years to come. You might not eat them, but catching them will keep you busy all day. It's definitely a good day to have the kids out. BRING THEM ON!!!
i thought they were in the drum family? :huh:

same family? :eek:

· Banned users
6,340 Posts
love catching croakers, great fun on light tackle especially when the fishing is slow, do not care to eat them but do every once in a while, always keep a few for strip baits

· Registered
1,219 Posts
Ryan, now that you mention it???????? I'm curious now. I forget who and when someone told me that. Maybe someone who actually knows can tell us. One thing I know for sure is that they are great to catch and good to eat.

· Registered
3,228 Posts
Lots of fun to catch and deccent for the table . If the do come back in big schools , take one and bloody it up under a ballon . I recommend at least a tld 25 , big school means big shark :D . Dont worry by May they will be on a protected/overfished/shut down fishery list .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.