1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Toyota donates $20M to Audubon

Associated Press

DETROIT -- Toyota Motor Corp. is giving the National Audubon Society $20 million for conservation projects and training of environmental leaders.
The Audubon Society said today the grant is the largest in its 103-year history. The grant will fund the TogetherGreen program for five years.
Toyota says it also will encourage its 36,000 U.S. employees to volunteer for the Audubon Society.

The donation could help Toyota burnish its green credentials after facing criticism last fall from the Natural Resources Defense Council and other environmental groups. They were angry Toyota didn't support a measure to increase U.S. fuel economy standards to 35 miles per gallon by 2020.
The New York-based Audubon Society was not one of the groups criticizing Toyota.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Audobon Soc. is one of the groups that are trying to close the beaches to Rv's down Hatteras.That 20 million will keep them funded for a long time.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why doesn't the RFA or the Save the Flounder organizations crit Toyota for not doing more too.. Maybe they can get a $20 million dollar donation. Funding beach buggy access would do alot to help keep up the sales of 4x4's. Better gas milage on a 4x4 would be great too. I figure I get about 13 mpg for my 8 cycl. Dakota. As gas prices get higher it will pay for us to create a fund to pave the beaches. Won't that get the enironmentalist on our side. We would be saving gas...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
All companies talk out of both sides of thier mouth. They are no different than politicians. Last time I check everytime I watch a fishing show it is sponsered by Toyota Tundra. I'm by now way defending their decisions (just to let you know I have a Tundra) but it's big business and we are not:mad: .

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
It sounds like we need to let Toyota know that they are cutting the feet out from underneath their truck market.

Toyota’s customer service email and 800 phone number are below along with the letter I sent them. Let’s flood them with calls and emails. Send this to everyone you know - fisherman, hunters, off-roaders, dirtbikers, etc. and tell them post this on the internet sites they visit. We want to make Toyota either back out of the donation or make an even bigger donation to our various groups or sportsmen will boycott Toyota trucks.

*** Since Toyota pays for the 1-800 calls, maybe it best to call!

Toyota customer service email page:
http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/ask_intercept.php

Phone and snail mail info.
Phone: 800-331-4331
Fax: 310-468-7814
Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PST
Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PST

Mr. Yukitoshi Funo, Chairman and CEO
Toyota Motor North America, Inc.
9 W. 57th St., Ste. 4900
New York, NY 10019-2701

212-223-0303
Fax 212-759-7670

Dear Mr. Funo,

I recently became aware that Toyota has agreed to give $20 million to Audubon. I find it very unfortunate that Toyota fell at the feet of environmental groups. Audubon is one of the many environmental groups trying to end 4x4 access, fishing, hunting, off-roading, trail bike riding, etc. at state and federal parks, public lands, waterways and oceans across the entire country. The word of the huge mistake by Toyota is spending rapidly across the 4x4 truck, fishing, hunting, off-roading, trail bike riding, etc. internet communities. Unless you take immediate action to either repeal this misconceived donation or announce an even larger donation to user groups such as the Recreational Fishermen’s Association, I would not be surprised to see the sales of Toyota trucks crash in the very near future. We consider it a complete slap in the face that Toyota would try to make money off outdoors sports minded individuals by sponsoring events, yet be a participating and funding member of the various groups that are trying to end our past times, livings and culture. We are in the early stages of calling for a complete boycott of all Toyota vehicles and products. Personally, I was going to replace my Ford Explorer with a Tacoma - that will not be happening now.

Sincerely,
Greg Reinert

·
Registered
938 Posts
biggest problem i have noticed with fisherman/women in general, is there lack of ability to get organized. i am sure, the audubon is now licking there chops, knowing, that the we simply can't get our act together and fight back.:eek:
i would hope, that the RFA takes a much more agressive approach in there fund raising and marketing. ( i think the NRA has a pretty good template to start with.) so that they could do battle with thease groups and at LEAST bloody there nose's a little bit.

LONEWOLF856

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Homer said:
Well, then you might as well ditch the Fords too, and probably all the others, because I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they all contribute. I know Ford does:http://media.ford.com/NEWSROOM/release_display.cfm?release=7423
Ok - here is Fords contact info. Same letter, change $20 million to $5 million.

Board of Directors
Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 685
Dearborn, MI 48126-0685
U.S.A.
https://secure.ford.com/footer/contact-ford/contact-us-email?contactMainTopic=CommunityEnvironment

Here's my edited letter to Ford:

William Clay Ford, Jr.
Executive Chairman
Mr. William Clay Ford, Jr., Chairman and CEO
Ford Motor Company

Dear Mr. Ford,

As a member of the various fishermen’s groups, I recently became aware that Toyota agreed to give $20 million to Audubon. In discussing plans for a sportsmen boycott of Toyota, we found out that Ford has indeed donated $5 million to Audubon. I find it very unfortunate that Ford fell at the feet of environmental groups. Audubon is one of the many environmental groups trying to end 4x4 access, fishing, hunting, off-roading, trail bike riding, etc. at state and federal parks, public lands, waterways and oceans across the entire country. The word of the huge mistake by Toyota & Ford is spreading rapidly across the 4x4 truck, fishing, hunting, off-roading, trail bike riding, etc. internet communities. Unless you take immediate action to either repeal this misconceived donation or announce an even larger donation to user groups such as the Recreational Fishermen’s Association, I would not be surprised to see the sales of both Ford and Toyota trucks crash in the very near future. We consider it a complete slap in the face that Ford would attempt to make money off outdoor sports minded individuals through sponsored events and customized advertising, yet be a participating and funding member of the various groups that are trying to end our past times, livings and culture. We are in the early stages of calling for a complete boycott of all Toyota and Ford vehicles and products. Personally, I own three Ford trucks and my prior four vehicles were Fords. As it stands now, we will not purchase another Ford vehicle, ever!

Sincerely,
Greg Reinert

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
LONEWOLF856 said:
biggest problem i have noticed with fisherman/women in general, is there lack of ability to get organized. i am sure, the audubon is now licking there chops, knowing, that the we simply can't get our act together and fight back.:eek:
i would hope, that the RFA takes a much more agressive approach in there fund raising and marketing. ( i think the NRA has a pretty good template to start with.) so that they could do battle with thease groups and at LEAST bloody there nose's a little bit.

LONEWOLF856.
I agree. My question is this, why are we just hearing about this through the member of the Barn? Why are we not organized enough to get an action alert on very serious threats to our freedoms?

·
Registered
938 Posts
RhinoScores said:
I agree. My question is this, why are we just hearing about this through the member of the Barn? Why are we not organized enough to get an action alert on very serious threats to our freedoms?
well, again, this is a great place for the RFA to take a stand and fight, yet, they do nothing. i can only asume they do not have the funds to do so.

also, this is why i mentioned the NRA. every other month or so they would send out a letter stateing which battles they were fighting. which ones they won, which ones were coming up, and then they would take it a few steps farther.
they would ask, which of these upcoming battles is more important to you? (you had a say in where the dollars should be focused on.)
they would ask, can you donate towards any of these upcoming fights.
then they would go on to say, heres the list of congress people you need to write to, heres the list of e-mails to send to, and heres there phone number so you can personnely complain to. (i think thats a pretty slick set up!)
again, the NRA is not perfect, but it is a good format to follow.
plus this, for the most part nobody really wants to go "head to head"
with the NRA becouse they know they will get there nose's bloodied.

ps. on a side note, i know this sounds really silly, but maybe, just maybe,
there should be a constitional amenment that says " THE RIGHT TO FISH "
(no fine print added to that, just that.) so, the next time they try to close another beach becouse of this DAM PLOVER, it will violate our "RIGHT TO FISH"

ok, you can call me certafiably nuts now!

·
Registered
91 Posts
FYI-
RFA = Recreational Fishing Alliance, not Association.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RhinoScores said:
Good point. Here's an idea for someone. My wife is a member of an email group called Care2. They use that site for web based emails (like hotmail). But they also get alerts when they log in. They also get emails regarding environmental issues. SO maybe we need a hunting/fishing recreational email site as a common point of communications. Seems like we all are checking our emails at least once per day and probably more...

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Cardshop said:
Good point. Here's an idea for someone. My wife is a member of an email group called Care2. They use that site for web based emails (like hotmail). But they also get alerts when they log in. They also get emails regarding environmental issues. SO maybe we need a hunting/fishing recreational email site as a common point of communications. Seems like we all are checking our emails at least once per day and probably more...
I was thinking along the same lines. If someone was a computer geek and knew how to set up such a system it would be great.

By the way, here is an email I sent to RFA and thier response to me. 1st my quick email to RFA;

"Toyota has announced a $20 million donation over 5 years to Audubon. Ford has donated $5 million to the group. Why hasn't RFA called for a complete boycott of the two companies? Here is the letter I sent to Toyota. It's time to start acting like the NRA."

RFA Response;

I'd love to see the response. The problem we deal with is as a group recreational fishermen are so fractionated that our ability to bring pressure on large corporations in instances like these usually falls on deaf ears. Audubon has millions of members, RFA has tens of thousands. Audubon has huge name recognition and RFA does not. It forces us to pick our battles wisely and bring what pressure we can to bare where we have the greatest chance of affecting change. Right now that is in the legislative process where there are real problems that could negatively affect our ability to fish in the future.

I am not trying to discourage you from writing and voicing your strong opinion. The more who do it the greater the chance these corporations might re-examine the motives of some of the groups they are donating to.

Regards,
Gary Caputi

Here's my last resonse to RFA;

I agree with you regarding the RFA's relative small size compared to Audubon. That's why it's imperative that all sportsmen's groups from all walks of life (fishing, hunting, off-roading, etc.), such as RFA, NRA, American Motorcycle Assoc, etc, band together to demand equal funding by the corporate world. I believe the numbers amassed by all such groups would force the corporate world to fear us. It's going to take a group such RFA to get out front on this and try to build such a coalition. I believe the saying goes something like; United We Stand and Divided We Fall.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I nominate RhinoScores to be the leader and get this movement off the ground.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Pirate said:
I nominate RhinoScores to be the leader and get this movement off the ground.
I wish I was the right person to do this. It will take someone who at least well known in the fishing community. And it wouldn't hurt if the person has connections to many other types of groups - hunting/guns, dirtbike/atv, 4x4, snowmobile and other interested groups that use state and federal parks. I would be happy to help such a person. I'm not a big fan of RFA (mostly because they choose fights on a national level, not local), but they are what is needed to reach out to the groups such as the American Motorcycle Assoc and hunting groups to get organized.

I also believe there is a big part to be played by the BassBarn and other sites like it. Combined, these Internet fishing communities have email addresses for more than a million people from across the country. These lists could be used for emergency alerts or calls to action, not to mention politicians and corporations would be scared to death at the prospect of 1 million + people receiving an alert to boycott their product or to support their opponent.

Sorry if it seems as though I'm venting, but it just seems so easy to do yet no one is doing it. RFA wants our few dollars for membership, while it neglects to go after Toyota for 25% of what the company gave Audubon, which would be equal to the paid annual membership of 142,857 fishermen. :confused:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
No Rhino, it's good to vent! I've been trying to get anybody who would listen, to do whatever they could to help our fellow fishing bros to the south{OBX}. Keep venting and voice your opion:cool:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts