BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing from some people how good they were to eat, myself and a couple of the other guys on today's trip decided to take a couple home. I only took one, and decided to do it in a beer batter. If you smother anything in enough stuff and drop it in a deep fryer, it's bound to be good.

I made up a beer batter using a fitting bottle of DOGFISH HEAD 90 minute IPA. Mixed with some lime juice, sriracha, chili powder. Dredged the spiny dog in flour, dunked it in the beer batter, and then in the fryer...

A few minutes later, crispy and golden brown...

Looks good, right? Cut my first fork full and was impressed that it was white and flaky...I closed my eyes, tried not to tense up, and took a bite. It was pretty good, actually. I was surprised. I don't think it was fantastic, but it was decent. The beer batter added a nice flavor. I stripped the beer batter off one piece and tried just the flesh. The flavor was, as best as I can describe it, unique. This fish is definitely more well suited to beer battering, breading, and frying.

All that said, when they're harassing the hell outta ya on the water, it doesn't hurt to kill a couple for the table!

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Man talk about the tale of 2 cites, You went from international T.V star to eating dogfish in less than 24hrs. This can only be described as the meteoric rise and fall of the Snug Harbour Legend!!:D:D

·
Registered
684 Posts
I tried dogfish a couple of years ago and my first bite was awsome! But then there came a bit of an after taste that I was not that fond of. Not saying that I would never try again, but, I would rather stick with my favorite garbage fish the sea robin.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
You just made arthur treachers fish n chips... :D Looks good!

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Man talk about the tale of 2 cites, You went from international T.V star to eating dogfish in less than 24hrs. This can only be described as the meteoric rise and fall of the Snug Harbour Legend!!:D:D
LOL! Now, that's funny! I've seen about 300 of those damn things come over the rail in the last few trips and I felt it good time to kill a few! Plus, Paul who was fishing with us was raving about how great they were an I figured, why not!?

I tried dogfish a couple of years ago and my first bite was awsome! But then there came a bit of an after taste that I was not that fond of. Not saying that I would never try again, but, I would rather stick with my favorite garbage fish the sea robin.
That's exactly what I thought, too. Almost a bitter after taste.

You just made arthur treachers fish n chips... :D Looks good!
Roger that! Long John Silver's right at home!

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get mixed info on the uric acid thing. Had a couple people familiar with eating them say they don't urinate for a couple days. Definitely had a bitter after taste. I ate one piece with beer batter, one without, and finished up with a cheeseburger. :) :D ;)

We'll see what the other test subjects say after they eat them!

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Bled, gutted, and HEAVILY iced the second they hit the deck, at a minimum :thumbsup:

Best thing to do is just filet them out right on the spot and put the meat in zip locks in heavy ice. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Bled, gutted, and HEAVILY iced the second they hit the deck, at a minimum :thumbsup:

Best thing to do is just filet them out right on the spot and put the meat in zip locks in heavy ice. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ditto!
Try them in red tomato sauce with pasta - its really good:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
When we cleaned them there is a vein that runs along the spine that must be removed,or they are worthless to sell. But we never kept the spiny only the smoothes. Often wondered what they tasted like, the meat does look good. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
People Eat Bluefish so you don't have to have much in the way of taste buds for some to eat them. :D

We tried it once, caught it fillet it right away and on ice, we battered it and deep fried it and it was not nasty tasting just not good to someone who is a bit picky about what they eat.

So catch them, filltet them on board and give them to the people who will eat just about anything. Seriously I'd do that rather than return the "endangered" species that are more plentiful then now then I've ever seen them in my life.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hey Adam, Thanks for the taste test info. You just saved me the effort of tyring for myself. I did hear this quick tip recipe from an old timer one time so I will give it to you guys. First when you catch the fish bleed it for 10 minutes. Next gut it, filet it, cut out the blood line put it in a zip lock bag or better yet vacuum seal and put it in the bottom of your cooler under all the ice. Now imediatlly when you get home remove fish from zip lock and prepare this marinade. Wait DO NOT WASH THIS MEAT IN TAP WATER. Ok here we go 1 cup olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika spanish style if you have it 2 squeezed lemons and 1 squeezed lime 2 tsp apple vinagar 3 bay leaves they have to be fresh 2 tsp old bay and one shot of your best wiskey. Now put in fridge and let sit for 2 hours. Remove from fridge and wash all that sh.........t off that it has been soaking in. Pat dry and now bread with egg wash and bread crumbs. Deep fry the hell out of it and let grease drain. Mix up some secret sauce I use 4 tbsp heinz ketchup and 4 tbsp heinz ketchup mix well. Now getcha a nice piece of that doggie dip in sauce and I will be dammed if that sh......t dont taste like CHICKEN.:razz:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
There were a number of guys from India on the bigJ when I was out fishing for stripers last fall that were taking every one of them. They left them all lying on the deck in the sun until they got off the boat when they loaded all of them into a few burlap bags. I can't imagine what those buggers tasted like after that.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't classify it as good, either.

TJ - I'll keep that recipe and give it to someone who wants to try the next one. :)

Bridgeman, that sounds nasty. Maybe they know something we don't.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I havent brung myself to try it yet but as others said I was told that if/when i do try it the best method is to filet and skin ASAP. put in ziploc bag in ice. eat fresh.
either fry it up as you did or use in a chowder.

saw the show on nbc sports as well. VERY good show. very cool.

Nick

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
That bitter aftertaste is uric acid....yum. Next time just kill and release.:D
I had them in Gibraltar, thought it was pretty good. Everyone thinks Thresher sharks are good. Talk about Urine?:thumbsdown:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts