BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Yo Capt Len,

How did the winter treat you? - I am really looking forward to getting back on the edge this summer.

Captn Joe

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Captn Joe said:
Yo Capt Len,

How did the winter treat you? - I am really looking forward to getting back on the edge this summer.

Captn Joe
Capt. Joe,
Trying to stay warm. Hope this water is a sign of good thiings to come. The fuel prices are really scaring me. Going to be a lot less guys on the edge this year if something doesn't change.

Len

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Captain Len said:
Capt. Joe,
Trying to stay warm. Hope this water is a sign of good thiings to come. The fuel prices are really scaring me. Going to be a lot less guys on the edge this year if something doesn't change.

Len
Or a lot more guys in each boat!

I enjoyed your water temp breakout in Long Island last week, I learned a lot.

Thanks again,

Sean

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sean Manni said:
Or a lot more guys in each boat!

I enjoyed your water temp breakout in Long Island last week, I learned a lot.

Thanks again,

Sean
Thank you Sean. I wish I had more time but Adam has a big hook to yank me out of the room if I go over the allotted time. There is so much we have learned about the ocean in the past 20 years and there will be more technology coming that can aid us in being more productive offshore. With the fuel prices where they are today we can't run around spending time in potentially unproductive waters. "Don't fish were there is no fish."

Len

·
Registered
881 Posts
Capt Len- looking forward to another year of great service from OSS. After reading the last issue of BGJ I have my pressure cooker all ready to go for jarring tuna.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FishingLuhrs said:
Capt Len- looking forward to another year of great service from OSS. After reading the last issue of BGJ I have my pressure cooker all ready to go for jarring tuna.
Best tuna salad you'll ever eat providing you get out all the blood. You'll never go back to "pieces parts" from sunkist. I still have about 40 jars left from last year.

Len

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Captain Len said:
Best tuna salad you'll ever eat providing you get out all the blood. You'll never go back to "pieces parts" from sunkist. I still have about 40 jars left from last year.

Len
We jarred all the longfin we got last year. Absolutely awesome. By far the best canned tuna I ever had.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Captain Len said:

Len
capt len---when you jar it how long can you keep it??

·
Registered
788 Posts
Have you seen water like that this early before?

Len,
Have you ever seen this before? How long will it likely last before it cools down to the surrounding temps?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
BIGGESTJACK said:
capt len---when you jar it how long can you keep it??
Jack
I've had them for 2 years but I know they can last longer than that. Just test the jars by pushing down on the lids with your finger. If they clink in and out---TOSS IT!
Also give every jar the "sniff" test. If it smells bad---TOSS IT!

Len

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mulldogg said:
Len,
Have you ever seen this before? How long will it likely last before it cools down to the surrounding temps?
This warm water was part of the Gulf Stream. Lots of clouds out there this time of year and when I got a clear image on 4-3 you can clearly see it is an eddy. It must have formed it that position and that is a rarity. This eddy will move normally southbound along the shelf. For how long I'm not sure. It is in an area where most eddies start to be absorbed back into the stream. It could start the process tomorrow and be gone in 7 to 10 days or it could move south and get absorbed at the Poormans area a week or two from now. This water will not just mix with the surrounding waters--it will be absorbed back into the stream.

Len

·
Registered
927 Posts
Captain Len said:
This warm water was part of the Gulf Stream. Lots of clouds out there this time of year and when I got a clear image on 4-3 you can clearly see it is an eddy. It must have formed it that position and that is a rarity. This eddy will move normally southbound along the shelf. For how long I'm not sure. It is in an area where most eddies start to be absorbed back into the stream. It could start the process tomorrow and be gone in 7 to 10 days or it could move south and get absorbed at the Poormans area a week or two from now. This water will not just mix with the surrounding waters--it will be absorbed back into the stream.

Len
Len based on your last shot do you think it's worth a shot Wednesday? We are ready to run on Wednesday into Thursday. Your thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
View attachment 7686 View attachment 7684 [/ATTACH]
Olivia Grace said:
Len based on your last shot do you think it's worth a shot Wednesday? We are ready to run on Wednesday into Thursday. Your thoughts? Thanks
View attachment 7685

Ive included the 4-5 Rutgers image with notations. I've also included an OSS image from the same pass. Far too many clouds to obatin accurate readings of temperature, but I can say with certainty the eddy remains in approx the same location--It's just highly affected by clouds and mositure because of its close proxity to the approaching weather front.

Eddies do not disappear in two days. It will be there on Wed but hope for a clear image of the area before you leave. It may move south along the shelf.

Len

·
Registered
927 Posts
Captain Len said:
Give me a minute. Taking a look at the last image available on the 5th.

Len
Thanks Len and it looks like we may be able to get out there Wed into Thurs. I appreciate your help and hope to post some pictures of Tuna hitting the deck of the Olivia Grace on April 9th. Were going to stay overnight with the hopes of a nice Mako. Worst case we fish for tiles and seabass in the morning and head home for the barn.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Olivia Grace said:
Thanks Len and it looks like we may be able to get out there Wed into Thurs. I appreciate your help and hope to post some pictures of Tuna hitting the deck of the Olivia Grace on April 9th. Were going to stay overnight with the hopes of a nice Mako. Worst case we fish for tiles and seabass in the morning and head home for the barn.
If I get a clear image of the area Tues I'll post it here. Check this thread before you head out.

Len

1 - 20 of 125 Posts