BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking about a custom surf rod this spring. im looking for opinions on what type of blank should i start with. what kinds are there? i currently have 2 11ft. ticas. thanx

·
Registered
914 Posts
I'd suggest taking a look at the Century blanks. I've got a 10'6" Slingshot. Give Mike Kulik a call (K&M Custom Rods) he's a barn sponsor. I love my Century. He's got quite a few different models also.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
+1 for taking a look at the stuff Mikes doing. I stopped by his place
to finalize a no frills wrecking rod, and left with ideas for a surf rod
or 19 :D

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
i was thinking about a custom surf rod this spring. im looking for opinions on what type of blank should i start with. what kinds are there?
There are hundreds of different kinds of blanks. One-piece, two-piece, short, long, in the middle, graphite, fiberglass, composite, made in the USA, made in China -- you name it, there's probably a surf blank for it.

If you're a newbie rod builder, blank selection can be one of the most paralyzing things you have to deal with, because there are so many blanks out there, and as a newbie you don't know anything about any of them (I was so flustered when I started that I used to carry the Mudhole catalog in my work bag, and go through the blanks section while I commuted on the train. I figured that the time might make the subject less intimidating to me).

What kind of blank will work for you depends on what you'll be doing with it, how you'll be fishing it, and, to a lesser extent, what reel you'll be using. Your budget will also be a factor, as surf blanks vary from cheap (under $50) to very expensive ($300 and more). Post as much information as you can, and the good fellas here will try to steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
What are we trying to do with said surf rod?? That should help the guys who know alot more about blanks than I ever will point you in the right direction.

RyanF

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i want to be able to throw up 6oz. plus bait. i was thinking shimmano bait runner for a real. thanx again guys.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had the opportunity to cast one of Mikes 10'-6'' Century rods on Saturday at a local show. All I can say is WOW, the rod was sweet and it cast a 2 oz sinker FOREVER. I will be getting Mike to build me one soon.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
well, 6 and bait changes everything. forget all these rated to 2 or 3 oz plugging blanks. i don't have a clue about bait fishing customs (hell i don't know much about plugging customs either)...but i have seem people using lami and breakaway blanks for heavers

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
i want to be able to throw up 6oz. plus bait. i was thinking shimmano bait runner for a real. thanx again guys.
i will be fishing for stripers.
There are plenty of blanks out there that will do this for you. I can think of quite a few off the top of my head.

The two big thing that you have to consider are length and budget. You can get a blank like this for under $100, or you can spend much more. Among the more budget-friendly models, Batson/Rainshadow is pretty hard to beat: these are very, very good surf blanks, and their prices are good. Both the SUR1266, which is 10'6", and the SUR1386, which is 11'6", would likely work for you. They run about $150 and $175, respectively. One of Sea Isle Mike's Century blanks would work very, very well, too, but they're a bit pricier than this.

I will caution you about two things about picking this kind of surf blank:

• Be careful about picking a longer rod. A lot of guys assume that a longer surf rod is automatically better. This is not the case: all other things being equal, longer rods are always heavier than shorter rods, and longer rods give leverage away to fish (there's a reason that tuna guys use 5-foot rods). Moreover, a lot of guys (including me) lack the casting technique to fully load very long surf rods, say 11 or 12 feet and longer, and if this is the case, the extra length won't do anything for you. I personally use 10-footers for surf bait fishing, as anything longer is too heavy and cumbersome for me.
  • When selecting a surf blank, there's a tendency to get caught up in the "modulus wars," and to go for the very lightest, most expensive material out there, which these days is carbon fiber/high-modulus graphite. These are very good materials, but for a lot of guys, they're a poor fit for surf bait rods, because their primary benefit, less weight, gets lost when the rod sits in a sand spike. For surf bait fishermen, particularly ones who are new to the whole custom rod game, I typically recommend a composite glass/graphite blank: these fish very well, are much more durable than the high-tech blanks, and are much, much cheaper than the stuff made from space-age materials. Don't think that you're shorting yourself by picking a less expensive blank: these things fish very, very well, and will beat up, and take the lunch money from, any factory surf rod out there

Feel free to post more questions if you have them.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Good stuff Belmo.

A friend of mine has the Rainshadow SUR1266 as mentioned above and he throws 6+bait with no problem. He's caught stripers up to 40 pounds in the surf. It's a really nice rod for the $$$. I'll be getting one made in the near future.

I use an airwave 11' XH 4-8oz for bait fishing. It's not a custom, but it's a great rod for soaking bait. Check them out if you get a chance.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
try a daiwa saltiga balistic before you go custom; i have a place on the beach and A LOT of surf rods including several super high end customs; i like my balistics best; i tried a tica but gave it away; it was a p. o. s.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Depending on what length you are looking for some good options are the Century Sling Shot 1328(11' rated 3-7oz plus bait) Sling Shot 1449(12' 4-8oz plus bait) and the SPOD 12' 2-6oz + bait. Both the 1328 and 1449 have been designed where 12" can be cut off the butt to modify the length and it will not change the makeup of the rod at all. I would be more than happy to meet up with you and have you test cast some rods.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've never built a surf rod (but have built waaayy too many freshwater, fly, and bottom rods), I like the mhx blanks for casting/spinning rods and if their surf blanks are anything like the freshwater stuff you can't go wrong. The guys at mud hole are also very knowledgable and can help guide you into the right blank/components. I've also used seeker blanks for bottom rods and they are very nice blanks but a little more $$ than mhx (again they make a series of surf blanks).

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Century is a good blank for distance. ( and I dont sell them, so its not a sales pitch). With all of this new nano technology hitting us, I have been looking into alot of different products. As I said, Century was ahead of the game in the surf market with these new rod blanks today. :)

We have 2 lines of the newer blanks and over the last 2 months I have been throwing them in the park, beach, etc.... and the blanks we have that are made as popping blanks are throwing further than my old Breakaway Rods that have always been my favorite rods. :eek: I have adjusted guide spacing, observed the pro's & con"s and found that the blanks I have are offering a wider variety a far as the ratings. ( I can throw 2-10 ozs with one single blank. My old rods are more of a 3-7 oz range and I thought they were good).

So, look into Century, and if you want to compare anything, we have 2 brands in the shop as well. :)

·
Banned
2,974 Posts
Be careful about picking a longer rod. A lot of guys assume that a longer surf rod is automatically better....Moreover, a lot of guys (including me) lack the casting technique to fully load very long surf rods, say 11 or 12 feet and longer, and if this is the case, the extra length won't do anything for you. I personally use 10-footers for surf bait fishing, as anything longer is too heavy and cumbersome for me.
Much wisdom here in Belmo's scribe. Your physical size has some play in this too. I find anything over 10 ft too unwieldy and I think is is an effect of my shorter stature. It's not often I have to use something like "8 and bait" as I can get away with much lighter at my normal haunts. I do have a shorter heaver when the occasion calls for it,but it mostly hangs on the wall in the shop.

My go tos are a pair of older 9 footers built on J. Kennedy Fisher blanks wth Calcutta 400 round reels for most bait situations. The heaver is built on a Lami blank and has a Abu 7000 reel, it's mostly cast then spike the rod as it gets heavy really fast trying to hold it like the 9 footers. :razz:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Much wisdom here in Belmo's scribe. Your physical size has some play in this too. I find anything over 10 ft too unwieldy and I think is is an effect of my shorter stature. It's not often I have to use something like "8 and bait" as I can get away with much lighter at my normal haunts. I do have a shorter heaver when the occasion calls for it,but it mostly hangs on the wall in the shop.

My go tos are a pair of older 9 footers built on J. Kennedy Fisher blanks wth Calcutta 400 round reels for most bait situations. The heaver is built on a Lami blank and has a Abu 7000 reel, it's mostly cast then spike the rod as it gets heavy really fast trying to hold it like the 9 footers. :razz:
Don't sell yourselves short guys! (no pun intended..:)).. my daughter cast rods that size when she was 12 & 13 yrs old! You can handle longer rods; i think Tommy Farmer is kinda a short guy himself...

Aside from greater distance, a longer rod keeps your line at a greater degree as it enters the surf (ever see a googan baiting w a 2 foot spike and a 7 foot rod on the beach, and see his line laying down beach in the wash??). That sharper angle of line into the surf can keep your line out of the suds and waves, and equals less drag on your line= less sinker weight and also = less weed on your line when the weed is there.

Add braid and now it's MUCH less drag and weed, as the profile is so much smaller.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts