BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gearing up for the one and only time per year I go Shark fishing, I wanted to reline a 2 Penn international 50's.

I said I was heading down to put new dacron line on these reels specifically to use for sharks. One of my fishing buddys said to just put on mono and that I was an old school / old fart. (Which I am)!

WHAT IS EVERYONES OPINON ON THIS DACRON vs MONO FOR SHARKS ARGUMENT?

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
I was taught by old farts I mean salts ad they say dacron but I found mono easier to use. For a 1 time trip I would go with mono. Braid is no fun sharking but if you want fiber go with a good braid and top shot of mono. We also used mono shark rigs with great success. Much easier to handle at the boat and the mind is a bit eased without wire wrapped in your hand. It hurts less when holding on. :D

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
use your bluefish rods with mono. You will have a much better time. Don't need big guns for sharks. If yoreally want to use the 50's then I would spool with mono as you can use the rods for trolling also.

The dacron defintly gets more rod action and sets hooks better though. Problem is what else r u going to use the dacron for?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Dacron - Mono

Dacron on 50's would allow you to put on more line, then lets say 50 / 60# mono.
Diameter wise 80# dac could be used in place of 50# mono probably close to same capacity. Dacron has mutiple uses great for trolling, chunking, jigging etc. Fish control on dacron is superior to mono if a big one is hooked ,the elasticity of mono in some instances is not a plus. Dacron on the other hand stretches about as much as braid.
One caviat' always splice in mono top shot that way depending on what your fishing for today you adjust ld sans particular required rig. This mono TS can be looped to loop for easy change or finger cuffed both are simple to finish . If you go the loop route always use cats paw, connection in case a big guy takes the bait.
Going this route you forward rig ld length is minimized and boat side fish control is easier, you may be able on occcassion step back in the cockpit and bring fish along side w/o wire man if need be.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
My favorite set up for sharking is 130lb hollow core spectra (dacron would be fine) with an end loop spliced in .. when sharking , I put a 25 ft top shot with 530lb Momoi extra hard mono with a 500lb Aussie swivel crimped to the end. Fron there I can attatch a 5-6 foot wire leader or mono depending upon what I want to fish. When sharking is over for the season, I can take the 25ft windon off and top shot the reel with 100 yards of 100lb mono for canyon fishing .. its a very versitile set up and the lack of stretch on the shark set up makes for great hook sets and has been very efficient for us . The short wire leader allows the angler to wind the fish to the boat where it can be gaffed or released easily .. the only downside for this is the need to use rods with wind on guides ..

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My favorite set up for sharking is 130lb hollow core spectra (dacron would be fine) with an end loop spliced in .. when sharking , I put a 25 ft top shot with 530lb Momoi extra hard mono with a 500lb Aussie swivel crimped to the end. Fron there I can attatch a 5-6 foot wire leader or mono depending upon what I want to fish. When sharking is over for the season, I can take the 25ft windon off and top shot the reel with 100 yards of 100lb mono for canyon fishing .. its a very versitile set up and the lack of stretch on the shark set up makes for great hook sets and has been very efficient for us . The short wire leader allows the angler to wind the fish to the boat where it can be gaffed or released easily .. the only downside for this is the need to use rods with wind on guides ..

NICE ---- I LIKE IT :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.