BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hooked in to a 10 to 12 lb blue and the dam thing broke my pole.
med heavy ugly stik 7' snap. still got the fish in. got to love that power braid.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I thought this might be helpful.
The following is from the Shakespeare web site...

Limited Warranty II
For seven years (for Freshwater Ugly Stiks) and/or five years (for all other Ugly Stik models) from the date of purchase, the Shakespeare® Company will replace your Ugly Stik Series rod at no charge if it breaks snaps or cracks while you are fishing.

Shakespeare Warranty & Service Web Page

·
Registered
690 Posts
So far I have had two ugly stiks break. Both I realized were my fault. I was casting out a 2-piece that wasn't fully seated and it the lower end broke and the second I fell on while it was in the gunwale holder and busted the handle when my feet slipped as I was leaning over trying to tie off to a mooring. I swear, the name of my boat should be the "Miss-Hap, Not the Miss Adrienne.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
I never seen one break either!!

I fish a few ugly stix for fluke...They are one of the most reliable poles you can buy for the money...IMO

·
Registered
31,158 Posts
A 10-12lb fish of any kind shouldn't break a rod, especially not an ugly stick. Did you get the tip up too high?

[ 05-09-2006, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Bob ECT ]

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
May have nicked it somewhere along the way & the pressure popped it. Broke 2, 1 an ultralite when I slipped on some rocks & the other in a car door.

Other than that, you can't kill them, nor can you beat them for the money.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
They may be hard to brake but they have very little action and are not good for much other then dead sticking. Maybe the newer ones are better i have one that is about 8 yrs old. I let my wife use it and I use eather a St Crox tiderunner or a Med light Star Rod.

[ 05-09-2006, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: DRIFTER1 ]

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
I have caught 15lb stripers on my 6lb class ugly stick that i use for trout fishing! They are awesome, rugged rods for little $$$.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Could have been a defect...maybe, maybe not.

Every year I read of guys losing fish, breaking tackle, breaking rod/reels...

Been fishing with the inexpensive stuff ...the best I have is 15 year old Penn SS series on the same vintage Ugly Sticks or even older cheaper stuff.....

Been on or near the water my whole life and have had boats all my adult life...not a 5 day a week fisherman...but I get my use out of the tackle and I fish for MUCH bigger than most on most of my tackle....rom Alaska to Florida to NJ...and a lot of points in between.

The recurring problem I think is most really don't use the reel drag to their advantage....it is the first piece of gear that should feel the pressure...NOTHING...but NOTHING should ever break unless it is a defect or line that gets hung up/nicked. That's what the drag is for...it starts slipping BEFORE anything else gives....with even minimal pressure (ask any flyfisherman) and ample line and fishing room....GIANTS can be landed on almost any tackle....

Now I understand for structure fishing those rules go out the window....but the drag should still be lower than the braking strength of either a rod or reel...

Of course I'm not saying it happened in the initial posters case...but after another season of broken tackle stories...I'll bet it is true a lot of the time that it's setting the drag is the real (maybe reel) problem...

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
those rods are pretty indistructable- I let my friends use them

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
after reading the posts i come to thik of it i had a snag before it and did tightin the drag to get free and did not re ste it. but i do recall the drag screaming when the fish was on.

eather way time for a new 1 lol

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
after reading the posts i come to thik of it i had a snag before it and did tightin the drag to get free and did not re ste it. but i do recall the drag screaming when the fish was on.

eather way time for a new 1 lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
yo im looking to catch some blues from shore any body point me in right way,, me and my son love to strap on the waders and catch snappers all day!!!!

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
ugly sticks do break. Got one for Christmas one year and bent into a U shape like they do on the commercials and snap. Never got to use it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
ugly sticks do break. Got one for Christmas one year and bent into a U shape like they do on the commercials and snap.
Did the same thing at a Dick's Sporting Goods store. Tried the commercial thing and it broke in half. I Could'nt beleive it! I put the 2 pieces back into the rod rack display and slowly exited the store as if nothing happened.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts