BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from Florida, really do not know why i came back as this weather is beyond brutal. Fished with some old friends out of Juipter Fl aboard a dear friend's boat Captain Bill Cornell "MAGIC LADY". We targeted swords deep droping during the day, all bits were on eels (dead ells that is). We dirfted the bank in the gulf strean in 1550-1700 ft. We had 3 bites and lilled one sword on our th and final drop. Not a stud sword but legal and perfect table fare size. Must add that our local mate Steve Diffenbacher was excellent and provided great local knowledge!

Hope to see you at the Sharking Seminar on April 5th at "Off the Hook" bait and tackel. We will be touching on a lot od stuff and more that is featured in Big Game Fishing Journal March/April 2014 addition.:)

F.Stop
Captain Stephen Spagnuola

Attachments

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Looks like a fun trip, definitely should have stayed down there. I'm thinking of heading down myself, and doing the same trip, we're going to give deep dropping another shot during the day up here. We have a 3.5kwatt transducer and it is excellent for spotting fish in the deep, I think we could handle upto a 250 lber or so on the reel we'd use, or I might just use a 70 or 80 and use one of those line spoolers for when we're checking baits or moving. What kind of set-ups did they use on your trip?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We used Lingren and Pitman and Diawa electric reels.....no other way to do it imo. If you need a first class mate w great local knowledge look up Steve Diffenbacher 772 708 7405 (he also brings his own gear tell him Steve Spagnuola gave him the number). 5 days before the full moon in april should be great fishing the swords are real good in April and may.

F.Stop

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I think more guys use the line spooler then the expensive electrics, I saw some charter boats doing it on one of the TV shows. They use they're 70's or 80's , they make a little adaptor that goes on your reel and spins it with a drill , they were made for respooling your reels but guys started using them to reel in heavy weights to check baits or move. I think they were using 130lb test braid with a wind-on flouracarbon set-up. They caught swords on the show, nothing real big, I think they got one that was just legal but they still released it.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I think more guys use the line spooler then the expensive electrics, I saw some charter boats doing it on one of the TV shows. They use they're 70's or 80's , they make a little adaptor that goes on your reel and spins it with a drill , they were made for respooling your reels but guys started using them to reel in heavy weights to check baits or move. I think they were using 130lb test braid with a wind-on flouracarbon set-up. They caught swords on the show, nothing real big, I think they got one that was just legal but they still released it.
Correct. It's called a "reel cranky"

The problem is, all but REALLY high end battery drills will not work. You really need something in the 110v variety. That means you need either a genny or inverter.

Or LOTS of batteries for the cordless drill lol

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Some of the most expensive line winders use this device!!! It does not scratch the handles, it keeps a good center of gravity and although it may seem that its a "cheap way out" it actually spools better than the other style! Best part is.... if it blows up, your not dropping $600 on a motor, but rather $80 on a drill. It works well on the boat for deep water!!!

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
That's the tool, I'm going to order one, I have a 70 and 80 VSX one is spooled with I think 100 lb test, the other mono, I'm might respool that. You can use that winder tool even when tile fishing to check baits or move especially if it's not dead calm out there and you have to use more weight. we have a Heavy Duty inverter on our new boat, and a little Honda 2.5k genny we can mount under the bench seat in the Marlin tower.
With what it cost to run offshore, and to own and maintain a boat todo it, we're just looking for more options to put fish in the box or to C and R them. If the tuna aren't biting, we've got some dredges we're going to use to help draw in more white marlin, and they'll draw up wahoo, mahi and tuna as well. I'm sure a mako or big wahoo will crash the dredge once in awhile, but hopefully it increases our catch enough to make up for it. We picked up a Daiwa T1000 electric reel with our buddy, to use for deep dropping to tile fish, and maybe a swordfish or 2, but I'm going to get one of those line winders and probably use a 70 and 80 to try and deep drop for some day time swords up here. There is a group of guys that have been playing around with it with some success, nothing crazy yet that I've heard of, but it should work. If it's an overnight trip then we hopefully get our swordfish shots thru the night.
I made up some shark trolling lures and high speed wahoo lures to see if we can do anything there, and we always have a couple jigging rods rigged and ready to try that. there's enough different options out there that if you prepare for them you should be able to have more success. Good Luck, can't wait to get out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts