BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the site and i'm hoping someone can help me out. I spent a lot of last summer soaking clams and bunker at night for stripers and sharks. I just got a new surf pole (for plugs) for my bday and i'm hoping to get started. Is it worth my time to fish plugs during the day or should i just stick to blurple bombers with teasers at night? Any colors that work well in the day? Does Blurple work during the day? Thanks a lot.

John

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
John,
Your best chance for stripers is in the early AM when the sun is coming up or in the early evening asthe sun is going down. I would use light colored plugs. Yellow is a great color. Bomber makes a Yellow over white pattern in pretty much all there styles. You can't go wrong with some Andrus bucktails ( 1/2 oz to 1 oz )as well with a pork rind trailer.

The general rule of thumb is light colored plugs in the day light and darker plugs in the night. Don't hold fast to this rule though. Experiment on your own. Yellow is a fish catcher day or night.

Check out the book by Zeno Hromin called The Art of Surfcasting with Lures. You will learn a ton from it.

Good luck,

GSBB

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would second gsbb- stick with the basics. Yellow & white during the day, blurple & black at night. I like to have a pink stripe or light pink sometimes in my white but solid white works. I have found that the basic colors are more consistent- but basically it's your presentation more than it is the color in most cases, not all, but most.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I say profile and retrieve over color anyday, but color can make a difference.

RyanF

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
During the daytime color can be important if you stick with white and yellow you should have success, and i could not agree more with RyanF as far as matching the hatch is concerned find out what bait is present in the location you are going to fish and match the size as closley as you can and make sure you fish a teaser rig when plugging it will always give you an advantage, as far as Nightime goes color does not matter in most cases if a bright moon is present fish the same colors as you would during the daytime.

·
Registered
839 Posts
along w/ above info,, learn to really feel connected to the plug you are using,,as in you can feel the action of the plug as it moves thru the water,, my suggestion would be using braided line with a leader giving you the best connected feeling, seeing & doing this during the day will give you the greatest understanding of your plugs movement ,, slow retrieve is a key along with sometimes not retrieving just allowing the waters movement to wobble your plug while you feel connected,, good luck.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Being confident in the plug you are using also helps put fish on the beach. I have an Old gibbs swimming plug, That no one thinks would ever catch fish but, its my GO TO lure when things are tough, I have made many a fellow Beach pounder change their mind between fishing chunk bait and clams by catching fish right in the wash in front of them with this lure and a Match the Hatch teaser. Hope to see you on the beach. GOOD LUCK!!

Liv 2 Fish
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
schuylkilljohn said:
Hey guys, I'm new to the site and i'm hoping someone can help me out. I spent a lot of last summer soaking clams and bunker at night for stripers and sharks. I just got a new surf pole (for plugs) for my bday and i'm hoping to get started. Is it worth my time to fish plugs during the day or should i just stick to blurple bombers with teasers at night? Any colors that work well in the day? Does Blurple work during the day? Thanks a lot.

John
There is never a time when fishing is "not worth it". But you will probably catch more at the sunset and rise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts