BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what if any, will be the effect on the bay in general and the DB fishery specifically from all of the cold, fresh water runoff into the Delaware river from New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, dumping into the bay. Its been quite a snow / rain year, and I ant help but think that there has to be some kind of effect. Thinking back on previous years of heavy snow fall, i recall the net effect was not good for fishing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
21,667 Posts
Runoff and the 13 miles of dredging that allegedly started yesterday are two things to take a look at.

The runoff pushes things back, I like that.

Plus there is a El-Nino thing going on too.

I didn't even get a bite in the lower bay last year in the spring, they were all up the bay by the time my boat was in the water.

I'm more worried by the dredging.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
This winter wasn't that cold, when compared to other winters, when the maurice River, creeks and bay froze solid. The saltiness of the bay has been deluted. In '09, we had about 61 inches of rain, the third most in history, behind 62 inches in '58 and the record 67 in '48. This had an adverse on crabbing in '09 but it didn't seem to affect fishing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.