BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering how you guys set your reel when dead sticking clams in the surf. I use a 30lb 3 1/2ft fluro shock leader w/ fish finder(palmor knot on hook & line end of barrel swivel,improved clinch on leader end of barrel swivel), 40lb braid, and use about 3lbs of drag. I use a light drag in hope that when a large fish hits none of my gear will fail and the fish will be able to take line but that never seems to happen , my rod just doubles over and bounces heavy but if it take me long to get to my rod something in the leader or line will fail. Why doesn't my line strip, my reels drag are smooth? I feel I have lost some nice fish do to this. I usually don't catch large fish while clamming, 5-15lb range, so it usually not an issue. what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I was wondering how you guys set your reel when dead sticking clams in the surf. I use a 30lb 3 1/2ft fluro shock leader w/ fish finder(palmor knot on hook & line end of barrel swivel,improved clinch on leader end of barrel swivel), 40lb braid, and use about 3lbs of drag. I use a light drag in hope that when a large fish hits none of my gear will fail and the fish will be able to take line but that never seems to happen , my rod just doubles over and bounces heavy but if it take me long to get to my rod something in the leader or line will fail. Why doesn't my line strip, my reels drag are smooth? I feel I have lost some nice fish do to this. I usually don't catch large fish while clamming, 5-15lb range, so it usually not an issue. what am I doing wrong?
My opinion is that if you are deadsticking clam, you should be using circle hooks. For a circle hook to set there can't really be much give, so you really really need a decent spike and set the drag so the hook will set.....

You shouldn't be worried that your gear will fail with a bass pulling from a spiked rod, christ what is gonna happen if you are lucky enough to have a cow in the wash??

RyanF

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I use aluminum angle spikes 4 ' long and shimano Bt's. Drag set to just enough to hold against wave action. The main drag is set enough for a good hookset after the line comes tight and the BT feature has been dis engaged manually, and that's with J hooks anywhere from 6.0 - 8.0. Bigger bass rarely mouth a clam bait unless its really cold water they just suck it and go. The bouncing rod tip could be from violent head shakes. Especially from schoolie fish trying to loose the weight .

·
Registered
477 Posts
Circle hooks!!! Enough said! Fish hook themselves with circle hooks dead sticking with clams. Jus enough drag to let te fish run around while u make it back to the rod. I dead stick clams and bunker with bait runners plenty times I walk 100 yards plugging or throwin metal notice the rod bouncing from a distance and the fish is still there when I make it back almost 90% of the time. I've had fish actually tire themselves out before I made it back to the rod I been so far away and they jus come right into the beach when I start reeling in. I always dead stick but I'm jus so addicted to catching bass on swimmers and metal it's really a whole nother type of experience to feel the bass slam a swimmer rod in hand so I always wind up aways from the dead sticks and came back to a fish waitin for me. Lol 50 lb braid 25lb mono backing and 25-30lb leader fishfinder rig and circle hook plus I'm
Usually chucking 8-10oz for good measure and because I don't want my baits moving while I'm down the beach somewhere plugging.
And not sure if this matters or not when it comes to deadsticking and fish remaining on rod while away but my baits for the most part are usually more than 100yards from where they r staked.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Big circle hooks and a rubber mallet.

No kidding, you need a backhoe to get my sandspikes out after I put them in... :D

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Circle hooks!!! Enough said!
And make sure to use inline (i.e. non-offset) circle hooks. You may have to look a little harder to find them, but they work better than offset circle hooks, which, in my experiences, are not much better than J-hooks in terms of gut-hooking fish. If you have the drag set correctly, and you use big (8/0) inline circle hooks, you should be fine.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I use a penn slammer liveliner on a 10.5' tica with #50 (on sale) Suffix Perforance braid and the rods are placed in the long AOK sand spikes. When throwing clam I rarely engage the liveliner feature; only used if I'm walking away plugging. My drag is usually set as needed to fight a bigger bass, fairly tight. If throwing a noggin or big chunk on a fishfinder rig I will use the secondary drag feature so the fish can mouth the bait, but I use only about 18" length of leader for the slide section. As far as hooks go, I gave up one the Gami circles and went with VMC circles which virtually eliminated the "hit and miss" that I suffered with the gami.

·
Banned
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I used circle hooks for years than switched back 7/0 oct gami. I logged my hook up ratio, 60% on circle and about 90% on offset j's, I never gut hook a fish. so, it would be hard to sell me on circle hooks again. The real question was on how to set my reel and rod that a fish will be able to take drag but still have a solid hook set (wasn't sure if there is certain angel that the rod should be at to allow drag to be pulled)? I hammer my spike in with my foot pretty solid, i learned my lesson w/ that as I have chased my rod into the water a couple times:D I never have a problem w/ my gear for normal fish but I think I will lose every fish over twenty lbs if she can't take any drag.

·
Registered
364 Posts
striper35, have you tried spiking the rod parallel with the surf and walking some line down the beach and pull by hand? It may take some time but you can test the drag settings that way.:huh:

·
Banned
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
striper35, have you tried spiking the rod parallel with the surf and walking some line down the beach and pull by hand? It may take some time but you can test the drag settings that way.:huh:
I did as I was typing the last post but i don't think that will correctly immitate a violent strike of a large bass. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
The real question was on how to set my reel and rod that a fish will be able to take drag but still have a solid hook set (wasn't sure if there is certain angel that the rod should be at to allow drag to be pulled)?
It takes no more than10lbs to set a J hook. IMHO - I put a rod in on a very slight angle, but that is so the tip sets the circle hook. 10 lbs of pressure on the drag, measured on the line at whatever angle your line is to the rod, is 10lbs so it shouldn't matter. One question though, are you saying that you have improved you hook ups using a J Oct hook while deadsticking? if so, you were using gami circles. The VMC with a wide gap are netting me over 90%.

·
Banned
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The real question was on how to set my reel and rod that a fish will be able to take drag but still have a solid hook set (wasn't sure if there is certain angel that the rod should be at to allow drag to be pulled)?
It takes no more than10lbs to set a J hook. IMHO - I put a rod in on a very slight angle, but that is so the tip sets the circle hook. 10 lbs of pressure on the drag, measured on the line at whatever angle your line is to the rod, is 10lbs so it shouldn't matter. One question though, are you saying that you have improved you hook ups using a J Oct hook while deadsticking? if so, you were using gami circles. The VMC with a wide gap are netting me over 90%.
Yes I hook almost every fish with gami oct j hooks and yes i was using 7/0 gami circle when i gave up on them. your the third person to mention the vmc's though so maybe ill fish them on one rod and one with j's and see what happens, which one do you use?:rolleyes: What do you mean by 10lbs of pressure,drag?

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
For me the key part of dead sticking is to make sure my spike stays put. I custom made my own out of aluminum angle and aluminum pipe. I make them to accommodate the rod that will be used with it. This way I can get the rod out super fast with 1 hand. They are about 4.5 feet long and have a 45 degree cut on the pointed end. This helps to get them in the sand but until I started to sharpen the points like a knife blade they were hard to set. I'm not saying to sharpen them to a razor like edge but when they are some what sharp they go in a whole lot easier. Mine are buried enough so that there is no way a cow is pulling my gear in. I have had bass to 40# on these spikes and they did not fail. I do have to sharpen them every year as they get dull after only 1 season.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
but if it take me long to get to my rod something in the leader or line will fail.

i dont think anyone address this. unless your drag is locked down, your leader or line should not fail. especially with 30 lb leader and 40 lb braid. most reels don't put out 20-30 lbs of drag

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I also build my own Spikes,Fully adjustable for all my rods butt lengths. Has a foot peg for setting, works well! no need to rock it side to side to set. I have never had to chase my rods. Use Shimano Baitrunners and now own two Black Diawa Regal B-Rs. Leaders are 8-24" long 80# test Momoi Diamond Mono (no need for Fluro) using mostly Gami 8/0 circles for Clams and Gami 9/0 J's for Bunker Chunks

·
Registered
196 Posts
don't deadstick....... always hold your rod. no lost fish that way. if you must dead stick circles are good. and invest in a shimano baitrunner or some other bait runner style reel. penn, okuma, quantum all make options. though I feel shimano is far and away the best one.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
........if it take me long to get to my rod something in the leader or line will fail.........
Curious what you mean by this. If you are using 40/30 braid/fluoro, a big fish should grab your bait, take off, double the rod over, and being peeling line till you get to it.

Are you referring to the fish getting unhooked before you get to it, or are you referring to a physical line/equipment failure?

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
don't deadstick....... always hold your rod.
Theres no better feeling than right after that first tap and all other thoughts go out the window...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
6' of 50lb. floro dropper loop in center. Barrel on top and coastal lock on bottom, no swivel for the sputnik sinker. 8/0 or 9/0 circle on dropper loop. I use 30lb. Power Pro on Daiwa Saltiga reels. Extra tall spikes 6&7' so they can be set deep into the sand or out on a bar and keep the rod out of the wash. I've thrown more bait than I care to admit but very successful. After casting I set the drag loose, just enough that line doesn't come off due to current. The hook set comes from the combination of the drag and the pressure required to break the sinker loose. When the fish picks up and runs and I get to the rod I wait til the line stops running out and turn the drag two half turns and reel. I'll add more drag if needed. The break offs you are talking about IMO may be spiny dogs or sands that get wrapped up in the line and chaffe it leading to the failure. It could also be blue fish. The fish below I caught dead sticking clam and was talking to friends two trucks away from my rods and they said "Hey who's rod is that?" I would like to have seen the hit but was very happy with the end result!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts