BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 years ago which was before I started fishing for stripers I was down on the Chesepeak in Calvert county MD doing some fossil hunting. As I was walking the beach I started noticing dead stripers all along the beach. This was actually the first time I saw a striper. There must have been a couple hundred dead along a 2 mile stretch. These were pretty big fish too. Some going over 35" easily. What do think could cause something like this? I know the power plant is pretty close by but I never heard of one killing mature fish. It bothers me even more to this day thinking about all those dead bass.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Time of year? I was coming in from striper fishing the clam boats, in the fall, a few years back off Wildwood, and got behind a comm. trawler. About every 10-20 ft., there was a dead striper floating? Didn't count them all, but we passed about 80 fish! They were behind us too! These were all about 30".

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
These fish may have been caught in nets and were not legual to keep. Sad but true!!!! They get rolled up in the nets and die and the comm. guys have to throw them back to rot. I have family that commercial fish the Elk and North East river in MD and tell me about this all the time.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Every year this time the gillnetters are working the beaches for everything-not uncommon to find the by-catch dead on the surf line. Guys from Margate Public Works Dept used to show up at the marina w/pick ups full of bass that they cleaned off the beach-I don't remember 1 of them being less than 20#s

·
Banned
2,405 Posts
another classic example of why commercial fishing ought to be illegal or done in a way that doesn't rape the population.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Originally posted by Timmy T:
another classic example of why commercial fishing ought to be illegal or done in a way that doesn't rape the population.
Timmy,
Can you explain a little more?

Since the gillnetters in NJ, whom are trying to get the recreational guy, bunker for stripers are not allowed to keep any by-catch of striped bass, they must throw them back into the water. Dead or alive.

I wonder how many pissed of recreational guys there would be if they were not able to walk into a bait shop and get herring, shad or bunker for bait.

The recreational fishing industry would be brought to their knees.

The by-catch is not intentional, but where there are bunker, there are bass. Even when the netters are using the proper mesh size, the stripers still get caught and the perish.

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
Originally posted by Timmy T:
another idiotic quote from someone that has no idea about fishing,there are alot of other reasons for a striper kill,most of the time stripers get caught in nets they are lip hung on the net because the mesh is too small for them to get caught in the gills and are still alive but some do get killed and thats why there should be a limited bycatch quota,so timmyt next time you shoot your mouth off make sure you know what you are talking about

·
Registered
527 Posts
thanks jason and waterman you kept me from goin off on timmy tantrum get the facts strait before you start making claims :mad:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
coulda been depleted o2 levels in the water too...happens alot in the chesapeake in the summer.....not a biologist don't know the reason for it but there's many dead/sick fish to go along with it..crabs too, see em gulping air sometimes

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Originally posted by SHOOTER:
thanks jason and waterman you kept me from goin off on timmy tantrum get the facts strait before you start making claims :mad:
:D

I am slowly learning not to just haul off and smack the stupid people upside the head.

Shooter,
Do you remember the whole "Ban the Gill Netters" thing back in the 80's because everyone thought the gill netters were catching to many weakies?

All the while, The recreational guys with rods and reels were catching 100's of lbs per day and selling them to Jack King for as little as 25 cents when the market was flooded?

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
waterman, You know as well as I do if you let netters sell bycatch then they will target the bycatch. And if they can sell bass that will open up a can of worms as the rod and reel poachers will start selling bass at the backdoor of every bar and restaurant.

·
Registered
275 Posts
People wound'nt get the idea that comm. fishing is a problem with stripped Bass if it were'nt for the few that abuse the environment. I feel that stripers should be a sport fish! That would help both the rec and comm guys by improving the act of fishing verses feeding.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Originally posted by barrell:
waterman, You know as well as I do if you let netters sell bycatch then they will target the bycatch. And if they can sell bass that will open up a can of worms as the rod and reel poachers will start selling bass at the backdoor of every bar and restaurant.
So the fish should just sit and rot in the water instead of allowing a by-catch?

Because recreational rod and reel poachers are also an issue, the commercial guy should suffer?

The reason NJ has a trophy tag is because they don't allow commercial guys to keep any. Surely doesn't seem fair to me.

I would trade off my trophy tag for stripers to reduce the commercial quotas of other species that are starting to drop off.

The ocean is a vast resource that requires both the recreational and commercial guys to work together.

Just remember, without commercial guys, most people would be throwing wood plugs in the Delaware Bay instead of chunking for stripers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know I'm in the minority but the last part of Timmy's statement does have some truth that maybe some of us don't want to hear.

History Lesson:

Whalers! Needed but went a little far.

Dolphin bycatch by tuna nets. Aggressively fought but simple solution in the end.

Logging industry until mid 1900's. Imagine cut a tree plant a tree concept, remember that fight. Dirve through Carolina's on 95 or 20 what do you think it would be like without replanting.

Near shore dumping of waste. This was a good one, these guys need to make a livin also.

And many others.

History shows us that better ways can be found for almost any practice. If you guys can honestly say that things have not improved in the above examples I welcome my beating and may I have another.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here's another great one. Who is pro cutting shark fins as a aphrodisiac? Maybe this is beyond what some may consider useful, maybe not.

[ 05-02-2006, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: joekerins ]

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
If the comercial guys realy care about wasted bass, and not the money, then push for a plan that allows the bycatch to be donated for free to homless shelters and food banks.Wouldnt that eliminate the anxiety of dead bass going to waiste?

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
Originally posted by CURIUS GEORGE:
Use a cast net! Walk the beach for clams, put a minnow trap under your slip! It all works.
You have got to be truly kidding me,your trying to tell me you never buy bait that every time you need clams you walk the beach wake up pal i live on the beach and there are barely enough washed up to even surf fish with i haven't seen a whole surf clam on the beach in awhile but hey things could be different over on them cherry hill beaches,I can see you catching minnows but i grew up cast netting mullet as a kid in my hometown and i sold them to some of the local bait shops and your going to tell me that you cast net all your bunker you are so full of $%&t you eyes are brown thats why they gill net them they are crafty and outrun most castnets unless you have a custom one with extra weight,so i am not gonna buy your crap about catching your own bait because anybody that knows about fishing realizes you are living in a dream world

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
Originally posted by barrell:
If the comercial guys realy care about wasted bass, and not the money, then push for a plan that allows the bycatch to be donated for free to homless shelters and food banks.Wouldnt that eliminate the anxiety of dead bass going to waiste?
thats actually a really good idea but they should get a little bit of a fuel grant or get a tax break for doing it

1 - 20 of 74 Posts