BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I READ A POST that someone wrote about A number of dead trout belly up in Oak Pond in Winslow? Can anyone confirm this? When it happened, and was anything ever addressed to why or how many trout died? I just read a post that someone wrote on this site......:huh:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not sure y.Sum say pollution/runoff and others say warm water temps at stocking time.Saw a few big ones a few weeks back suspended near the reeds but not alot (and i yaked it twice that day).Ive observed them all summer long in early mornings along the reeds so im not sure i buy the warm temp theory but its possible.I did notice the bass bite shut down after that pseudo-hurricane last year- water got realy stained and remained that way for weeks into stocking day.So the runoff theory may hold some water.Water looks good now and bass r still there.Springtime should be good over there if u dont mind playing bumper boats:D

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I dont know the specifics of the Oak Pond die off but in general trout need cool, well oxygenated, and preferably moving water. Not something we have an abundance of in south jersey, which is why I'd love to see F&G manage north & south jersey differently.

Why is opening day in Apr when the temps are already on their way up? and why put the fall fish in early October when its still too warm? Lately anyway. And when LMB, pickeral, and the dreaded cormorant predation is still way high?

I'd love to see an opening day in mid November. Get the bulk of the trout in Nov & Dec so that we can fish for them all winter. Maybe even ice fish if cold enough. If the fish arent caught they"ll still be there in March/Apr. Maybe put the "grand finale" bigger 2yr old trout in for Apr.

Oh well, just my *****.

·
Registered
523 Posts
How could it be a runoff problem? I don't believe any creeks or drains feed into it, and there is no housing in the area. The expressway would have had to had a major spill on it to work its way down to the water.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Can't speak to anything recent, but I was at Oak Pond a few years ago not long after a fall stocking and there were quite a bit of dead trout. I just figured it was shock from the stocking - maybe there's a bigger issue?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
How could it be a runoff problem? I don't believe any creeks or drains feed into it, and there is no housing in the area. The expressway would have had to had a major spill on it to work its way down to the water.
Not necessarily. Everything drains down and Oak Pond is the lowest point in the area surrounded by sand. It doesn't take a major spill for runoff to create environmental issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.