BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to cut up my decks to replace the fuel tanks, what kind of resins should I use to replace the deck pieces? I am very experianced in fiberglass repair but I would like to hear opinions on materials used ,like MAS epoxy, West system epoxy, or the old standby polyester fibreglass resins? Also should I use a biaxial cloth, or just a heavy roven cloth? Any input would be appreciated, Thank you,

·
Registered
268 Posts
I like RAKA Epoxy, and some roven scrap from ebay, good value, and will outlast the rest of the boat. Get the milled glass fiber for filler,hard to sand but scary strong. MartyD

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I had to do the same about 5 yrs ago. We used polyester resin, heavy woven roving and 1 1/2oz as a topper to smooth it out a bit. No cracks, flex or wear.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Tunachunker said:
Had to cut up my decks to replace the fuel tanks, what kind of resins should I use to replace the deck pieces? I am very experianced in fiberglass repair but I would like to hear opinions on materials used ,like MAS epoxy, West system epoxy, or the old standby polyester fibreglass resins? Also should I use a biaxial cloth, or just a heavy roven cloth? Any input would be appreciated, Thank you,

What make is your boat ???? What type of nonskid is in your cockpit???

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Glassman

Boat is a 1986 Silverton 34 Convertable, decks have nonskid but what kind? Seems to be some type of grit in the gelcoat.By the way, thanks for all the input guys, it is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glassman, I am using the cutout piece. Do you find the vinylester resin to be a better repair? Please explain, Thank you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Most of our repair work entitles gelcoat finish, which can not be applied directly on epoxy. The resins we use also wet out much easier than epoxy, cure in less than an hour, and are not as temperature sensitive as epoxy. We also use chopped strand matt for rebuilding intricate angles on damaged gunwales and epoxy won't allow you to do this without alot of air pocket issues. We do use Epoxy for laminating layers of plywood and fiberglass pre-fab sheets in the rebuilding of transomes, Wave Runner repair ( they are constructed with a type of plastic re-inforced fiberglass that polyester and Vinylester won't adhere to and are painted with a automotive paint at the factory)...... if i was doing your job, I would cover with glass, strips of plywood 5 in. wide. Screw and epoxy them half way under your cut-out all the way around the perimeter. epoxy and screw your cut out piece in place and counter sink all the screws. After the epoxy cures, grind the cut line 4 in. wide and cup it almost down to the wood. Glass the area with matt and vinylester till full. grind, fair and gelcoat. Sand the entire area and roll gelcoat or paint with a sand additive............... I'm not saying that this is the Right way or the only way to do your project, but this is what has worked for us over the years..

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glassman, I thank you for your informative replies. I had planned on the idea of putting glassed over wood under the cutout area, leaving half exposed to give me an area to screw the piece back in place. Your theory of stranded mat makes more sense because i've learned from experiance that the woven mat is tougher to feather around the edges after grinding. One thing that saved me alot of work is that I was able to cut out the one side, remove that tank,then disconnect the other tank and take it out the same hole.Tanks are being made now by S.P. sheetmetal in Toms River as they made the originals and had all the spec's on file. Thanks again, Kraig

·
Banned
303 Posts
hey tunachunker try to rember to bring those carbs down this weekend or call me i will come and get them at your shop thx ted 302-561-0125

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tuna
where is the boat located? when do you plan on doing this? I need to do my deck and would offer some help for the experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts