BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion on Kristal XL-75 reel, or any recs for a good reel and rod that can be used for tiles and downrigger, or teasers?
Thats for your help fellas.

also, i am a lazy overnight fisherman, does the chum chucker work well?

cant wait until the season starts

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
I use the Krystal 651. I have used them for deep dropping and pulling double and triple dredges and never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
i own an xl 75 by kristal. it is a decent reel but a little bit slow. if you have the money i would go with one of the more powerful ones.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I will never leave home again without my chum chucker!

cant understand why I didnt get it sooner!I used it for the first time all last season and it worked out great!:)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
If you are serious about deep dropping, daytime swordin, or pulling dredges, you need to, at a minimum, consider the Daiwa MP 3000. This reel puts every other electric to shame, period. I have used a few different types of electrics (pulling dredges, kite-fishing, deep dropping), including the Krystals, and to put it bluntly, this reel is not in the same league as the others (downside = it is more expensive).

I have used it fishing out of Stuart and over in the Bahamas and the thing is an absolute BEAST. Not only are backlashes never an issue (regardless of how much iron you drop or how heavy of a dredge you pull), the thing has got the cranking power to winch anything off the bottom (and I mean it!). It counts line (real nice for setting mid-water column baits, and pulling dredges), has manual override, and even stops when approaching the surface (gives you a warning) so you don't suck the guides off your reel if you aren't paying close attention when ripping fish off the bottom.

You by no means need this powerful of a reel for Tiles, but if you have plans to pull gnarly dredges or spend some time, day-timing on the Sword grounds, you should take a look at it.

The only downside of this reel is the pricetag of 3 grand. Good luck which ever route you go...

Brian
Pez Machine Sportfishing
www.pezmachine.com

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
You know we have held multiple tilefish records here in nj when not on conventional for the records we would not think of using anything but a Krystal Great reel used over 100 times no failure smooth thought of using for my anchor! LOL As far as power dont mean to disagree but try a couple of 30 and 40 lbers as a double you'll need all the power you can get!;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Chum Chucker

Can't tell you anything about electric reels but I am not a fan of chumming machine. I used one this summer and you can't start your slick with it. They don't throw enough chunk. They are OK if everyone is sleeping or no one wants to throw out chunks once you get slick going. Also, when you catch a big fish sometimes you have to struggle to unhook it from side of boat because it is in way of gaffing and retrieving fish. I used my friend's rig on his boat and personally, I would not buy one for myself.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Bob, I am not sure if your post was directed at my comment: "You by no means need this powerful of a reel for Tiles," but just in case it was, to make it clear, I was trying to say that for Tile fishing, as well as most deep dropping, an MP 3000 is not necessary...smaller, less expensive electrics will suffice. The MP 3000 was designed for the day-time Sword slayers down here in Florida...

Pulling beefy Groupers from 800'-1100' in the Bahamas was no challenge for this reel.

I was not trying to make it sound like Tile fish don't fight and I appologize if that's the way I came off...I hope to catch a few doubles of 30-40 pound Tiles this summer. Good luck this season

Brian
Pez Machine Sportfishing
www.pezmachine.com

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
We run a couple XL-75s... in fact, I just picked up a Diawa Dendoh deep drop rod over at Tackle Direct last week to try out... cannot believe how inexpensive the rod was....

It is not a custom or even high line stock stick, but will sure handle anything I hook up... rated 80-150#, swivel tip, aluminum bent butt... going to work out just perfect for tiles..

As far as the Krystal being too slow.... it's not too slow for me... ;)

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Capital Gain said:
Can't tell you anything about electric reels but I am not a fan of chumming machine. I used one this summer and you can't start your slick with it. They don't throw enough chunk. They are OK if everyone is sleeping or no one wants to throw out chunks once you get slick going. Also, when you catch a big fish sometimes you have to struggle to unhook it from side of boat because it is in way of gaffing and retrieving fish. I used my friend's rig on his boat and personally, I would not buy one for myself.
Thats the first negative thing I've ever read about the Chumchucker - everyone seems to love them. I am planning on buying one this summer - anyone else not like them?

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
None taken Brian Just meant if your gonna put out the dough might as well be ready for anything We fish the XL 651 on a crowder custom bent butt it rocks This is for the meat 95% of the time we fish for tile records so its no electric all IGFA and a butt woopin for about the 50th doggie on bad days LOL! There are some others on the market I have not tried but this reel came at the reccomendation of Gary Caputi and it has never failed us! Next up a 70lber!:D

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
We are a dealer for both Kristal and Diawa, and both make a fine product. I haven't had the chance to use any of the Daiwa electrics in the field, but have been using the Kristals and selling them for years, and have had no complaints. One plus to the Kristals is that they are HQ'ed in Florida, so dealing with them is simple and they are real nice people to work with. Just my 2 cents:)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I did an overnight on a friends boat and his auto chunker was flawless. Its basically a conveyer belt with an adjustable speed. We dropped 4-5 chunks every 30 sec. and had fish around the boat all night. Just keep the hopper full and forget about it. I think it set him back $400.

E

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all of the help fellas, as for the chum chunking machine, i will only need it on the overnights, very nice to set it and go up top and smoke a couple cigars until the action heats up

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
OffTheHook said:
We are a dealer for both Kristal and Diawa, and both make a fine product. I haven't had the chance to use any of the Daiwa electrics in the field, but have been using the Kristals and selling them for years, and have had no complaints. One plus to the Kristals is that they are HQ'ed in Florida, so dealing with them is simple and they are real nice people to work with. Just my 2 cents:)

CHUCK,

Do you sell or can you get the Chum chucker or similar product in?

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
AngryMate said:
thanks for all of the help fellas, as for the chum chunking machine, i will only need it on the overnights, very nice to set it and go up top and smoke a couple cigars until the action heats up
It's inbetween 3AM and 5AM that they are worth their weight in gold!!!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I have had a chumchucker for 5 years and I do not go offshore without it. If you want to chunk heavier, which is not usually necessary, throw some by hand. It is the best mate I ever had.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts