BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was checking out Deepwater Reef on line. Seems to sit above the Varanger. Has anybody fished this reef on the bottom for big fluke, tog or seabass. Any pelagics here?? Thanks

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
We've stopped there a couple of times on the way back from sharking at the 28 mile wreck. Excellent sea bassin.

·
Registered
195 Posts
is this the same reef that they are going to sink the big navy ship i dont remenber the name:huh:
Gilhop,

No. The Ex-Radford (563') is scheduled to be reefed on the JerseyDelLand reef site. About 26 miles south of Cape May and about the same distance off of Indian River Inlet, Delaware.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Very cool. Is this an area that you can drift over or do you have to anchor on the wrecks?
With only a couple of wrecks on the reef and not much in the way of rubble, anchoring up over one of the wrecks is best, but we did catch some hovering before setting the anchor.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
We are still waiting for the Navy to sign over the title and will then tow the USS Radford to a commercial pier to be cleaned and stripped down to the wheelhouse. Then towed and scuttled some time, hopefully in June.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
i was checking out Deepwater Reef on line. Seems to sit above the Varanger. Has anybody fished this reef on the bottom for big fluke, tog or seabass. Any pelagics here?? Thanks
There are 4 sunken wrecks (THEBASSBARN Reef #1, http://www.thebassbarn.com/reef.htm Capt Walt Hendee tanker barge, and 2 tugs) plus 25 to 50 redbird rail cars. Yes you can drift it. Mainly caught seabass and doggies. Never tried it in the summer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
No fish there!!

;) one of the best holes for summer & fall bottom fishing off ge/townsends inlets, no doubt. Generally light crowds and plenty of seabass, though you tend to kill a bunch crankin' 'em up from 120' depths. In recent years the size of the sebass has been a great deal smaller than in years past..... I try to crank em up slow & easy so that they may make it back down to the bottom....we have also got plenty of big ling and a few random pollock there as well.

Decent shark and mahi action through much of the summer, and i would assume some wahoo furthur down on the pots, but have never got one there....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Forgot the flatties....

Yes, they are there too, but the masses seem to show up at those depths late in the summer, typically mid-sept. Can be quite frustrating pulling up good sized fish while bassing, but they are there (in smaller numbers) in july/august too.

A few renegade four spot flouders show up every now & again, and are always a treat in the frying pan....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.