BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALright this may be a dumb question but as I poke through the posts I see people reference the Commercial Striped Bass fishery. I never knew there are netters in NJ, are there??? Or are we talking about charters??

Glad to see the bonus tag get flushed down the ****ter, 3 fish is just too many.

Keep talking to some people invloved in the fishery management down here, another good axample, Snook. One fish 26-34, slot size only. Guides are NOT allowed to count. They close the season a touch longer on the Gulf. They gotta do it with the striper. One fish is plenty, 28-36

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Doc,
The bonus quota is the old commercial quota. That may be the references you see.

Commercial fishing is obviously permitted in other states, using a variety of gears.

Mass. is by rodnreel only. Gillnets are predominate in Chessie. NC is a mix of gillnets and trawls.

Sparse,
Where you live in EHT?

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by egghead:
Doc,
The bonus quota is the old commercial quota. That may be the references you see.

Commercial fishing is obviously permitted in other states, using a variety of gears.

Mass. is by rodnreel only. Gillnets are predominate in Chessie. NC is a mix of gillnets and trawls.

Sparse,
Where you live in EHT?
Thanks Egg. A few posts ago someone referenced netters in NJ or off the waters of NJ. I never knew they existed, do they?? That was the reason for asking.

[ 09-07-2004, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bass ]

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
I think netting for stripers in NJ water was prohibited in the 50's.

The EEZ is closed to all so netting off NJ is prohibited, though there is certainly bycatch, which cannot be landed.

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
NJ has just a few netters
They're not allowed to keep bass but that doesn't mean they don't occasionally get in there. They also don't get counted towards their qouta.

In fact it's just about prime net season now. Another few weeks and the part timers will be in full swing. It's amazing anything can make it down the coast.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Last October I went out striper fishing with my dad and brother in law. On our way out Cape May inlet we passed a commercial boat coming in. Now, he wasn't allowed to catch stripers in his net, and when he got back to the docks, he didn't have any. How do I know? Because there were literally hundreds of severely wounded or dead stripers being tossed into the water behind the boat as it went in. Many of these fish were over 45 inches. (I know because we netted a few)

They did it to avoid fines, but in the end they killed more stripers in one day of hauling than a rec striper fisherman takes in 5 years. I'm all for the commercial guys making their living, but they are hands-down the problem. Slot, or not it doesn't matter to me, but we have to get the real problem addressed now.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Currently, there is no allowed by-catch of stripers.

It is an evil side effect of allowing netters to make a living. Most small guys, if allowed to keep stripers as a by-catch, would target stripers until their catch limit was met and then would target something else.

as for what is commercial??? Anyone, charter captains included, who make a profit is a commercial guy in my book. A captain who sells a mako pay for a trip is a commercial guy. Just my opinion.

It doesn't take a net to make you a commercial fisherman. I know alot of charter boat cappies don't like the thought of being a commercial fisherman, but they are.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I guess that's what the guys were referring to , by catches. I think it was Bob actually, who are these guys, Bob. I only ask because if NJ has no legal commercial guys then who else is gonna get punished then except the recs??

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Dr Bass ya lost me ! I'm 100% comm I use Gillnets and longlines. I buy permits and follow very strict laws and regulations. I do not offset the coast of my Hobie by sellin my catch. I look down my nose at those who live a double standard. I believe that if you sell your catch that makes you commercial and you should be subject to the same laws and reg that I am. That means marking your boat to having the proper permits. Most importantly here in NJ if you are a comm that means NO striped bass for you. Now this is where it gets a little tricky Boat for hire ????????? Thats kinda like a double standard. (very kinda) gray area !!!!!!

As far as by catch is concerned I think that the stats speak for themselves. I can only answer with this I do my damdest to avoid making a bad set. I have done it strictly by mistake. That is why I take the steps that I take to avoid pickin a fish that is worthless to me. At least here in NJ. The funny thing is I just received my bass tags for MD boy Ain't I lucky.

In response to the poster that talked about the bass being thrown over. Do you by chance remember the name of the F/V I fish just about everyday from now until DEC along the beach I don't recall seeing a big fish kill.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't recall the names of the boats. There were two coming in, and we saw one of them tossing them over. Truthfully we didn't think too much about it at the time. My dad was telling me that he's seen it done on numerous ocassions, so I didn't think much of it.

Apparently the boats were coming in from pretty far offshore so they had a long time to toss the stripers. I can only imagine how many were tossed before the mouth of the inlet, but the ones tossed there were all but dead. (most were dead, and some still barely alive). There were four boats gaffing the ones that were still struggling. We pulled a couple into our boat, and we were passing them floating on the surface for a couple miles on our way out to the reef.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
In hopes of not starting a verbal war all I can say about bycatch is I do the best I can to avoid it.
I avoid it for a few reasons the number one thing is I'd rather spend time pickin/makin $$$$$$$$$$ not wasting time on trash. I also work alone thus when I set I want it to be a good one.
For those of you who think we just toss killin machines into the water and count our money you are sadly mistaken. I would like to wait a week or two to make any more comments on this subject. Hopefully buy then one of the BIGGEST posters on the bass barn will have gone pickin with me and he can share his experiences with all of you.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
GIVE EM HELL FISHPICKER,
JUST LIKE THE TUNA EVERY BODY DISLIKES LOMGLINERS AND PURSSAINERS BUT LET THE SPORTS HAVE A GOOD DAY AND THE FIRST THING THEY DO IS TRY TO (SELL THEM) !!!
AND AS FOR ONE SLOT FISH.
KISS MY ROSEY RED AZZ!!.
I GUSS THATS OK IF YOU CAN FISH EVERY DAY.
BUT IF YOU HAVE A REAL JOB AND WORK FOR A LIVING TO SUPPORT THE THE SLACKERS IN THIS WORLD LIKE SCHOOL TEACHERS AND GOVERMENT EMPLOYEES.

YOU DONT HAVE THE TIME TO CATCH THE NUMBER OF FISH IT TAKES FOR YOUR NEEDS.
I LOVE TO EAT FRESH FISH AND A 12 TO 20 POUND BASS DONT LAST LONG FOR ME.
I ALSO HAVE A LOT FRENDS THAT IF NOT FOR WHAT I GIVE THEM WOULD NEVER GET FISH.
THREE FISH IS NOT A LOT AND MOST FISHERMAN WILL NEVER CATCH THAT MANY IN A DAY ANYWAY.
AS FAR AS COMMERCIAL NETTERS THERE ARE NOT THAT MANY OUT THERE. THERE A FAR MORE PART TIME WANNNABES THEN THERE ARE PROS.
LIKE THE PRISION GAURDS WITH THERE SIX WEEKS VACA
THAT GIVES THEM TIME TO BE PART TIME NETTERS. THAT WIPED OUT THE WEAKFISH IN THE 70S&80S
SORRY IF I AM STARTING TO RANT BUT I AM SICK OF THE SELF (RICHEOUTUSNESS? (SPELL CHECK PLEASE)THAT SOME PEOPLE FELL THEY NEED TO MAKE THEM FELL AS IF THEY KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR ALL OF US LIKE THE (DEMACRATS)

DONT BOTHER TELLING ME ABOUT MY SPELLING OR MY
INABILETY (SPELLINGAGAN) TO PUT TO GETHER A PROPER SENTENCE WE AT THE BARN ALL KNOW I SUCK AT THAT!!!

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
COME OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN If ya ever need a fish just ask I give it to ya good buddie.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My only point was that the boat(s) on that day last year killed hundreds of stripers, and dumped them all. I did not make a blanket statement about all commercial guys, nor would I want to. BUT, you have to admit that the volume of fish from that boat was troubling. Perhaps the capt. and crew had a bad set, perhaps they knew what they were doing. I don't know.

But, regardless of where you stand (commercial vs rec), you have to admit that hundreds of dead stripers tossed into the ocean is a waste.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Fishpicker:
Dr Bass ya lost me ! I'm 100% comm I use Gillnets and longlines. I buy permits and follow very strict laws and regulations. I do not offset the coast of my Hobie by sellin my catch. I look down my nose at those who live a double standard. I believe that if you sell your catch that makes you commercial and you should be subject to the same laws and reg that I am. That means marking your boat to having the proper permits. Most importantly here in NJ if you are a comm that means NO striped bass for you. Now this is where it gets a little tricky Boat for hire ????????? Thats kinda like a double standard. (very kinda) gray area !!!!!!

As far as by catch is concerned I think that the stats speak for themselves. I can only answer with this I do my damdest to avoid making a bad set. I have done it strictly by mistake. That is why I take the steps that I take to avoid pickin a fish that is worthless to me. At least here in NJ. The funny thing is I just received my bass tags for MD boy Ain't I lucky.

In response to the poster that talked about the bass being thrown over. Do you by chance remember the name of the F/V I fish just about everyday from now until DEC along the beach I don't recall seeing a big fish kill.
Was not referring to you at all my man. I think I have gone down on record in support of people who make a living on the sea here many times. I have family who have been in the clam buisness for years!!
A few posts ago somebody was referring to a NJ commercial fishery, I never knew one to exist, so I figured I ask, that's all honest man, scouts honor. So the truth is when it comes to NJ and catch amounts it's the rec guys and or charters, not netters. So now we know why the rec guys take all the punishment, we are the only players in NJ.
I am planning a trip back every 2 months, one in October, hope I can fish.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hey Beach. Nobody here will ever bust you for your spelling. Us recs get a little jealous of the comms at times because our fishing time is so limited. I said before that if the recs were able to get $50 a pound for our fluke, we would still go broke in a short time.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i was under the impression this was a site for sportfishermen,not a soapbox for comm's!anybody who can't see that comm's are overfishing the oceans,must be mighty naive.stop the gill netters and long liners and watch the stocks rebound!

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Bass:
So I guess that's what the guys were referring to , by catches. I think it was Bob actually, who are these guys, Bob. I only ask because if NJ has no legal commercial guys then who else is gonna get punished then except the recs??
If NJ is forced to cut back then yes it will be by the recs only since that's all we have. The comm share of NJ's cutback would be out of the bonus fishery since that's the old comm qouta.

Bycatch is a huge problem but there's only so much comm's can do about it. They can't tell bass not to go in their nets. More experienced netters are pretty good at avoiding them and knowing what is what down there. It is a waste of their time and money.

Most of NJ's netting problems come from the part timers. Soon they'll be out for their week or two every year trying to make a quick buck. They have less experience and often are the ones causing the conflicts. Making bad sets, unnecessary bycatch, setting in the middle of rec fleets, setting tight to the beach were people are fishing, ....

NJ had a few proposals on the drawing board to get rid of part timers when they started the limited entry but they didn't have the stones to do it.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.