BASS BARN banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I caught this bass on Tuesday, Jan 31. I caught it on a Rapala Husky Jerk, natural perch color. This bass looks so different than the Largemouths I usually catch. I was told that Largemouths change color. After all the fishing I have done, I never knew that Largemouths change color. I guess this is true? A bass I caught last year at Malaga was really dark. It was in October. This one I caught on Tuesday, though, definitely had lockjaw. As you can see, the body is a lighter color and the eye is definitely brown. The first fish is the one I caught at Malaga Lake last year and the other one is the bass I caught on Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The pigmentation on a bass will often change with their habitat. You'll notice clear water fish have distinct color differences from dirty water fish. They'll also get extremely dark in the summer when hiding under matted vegetation. These are ambush predators and the better they blend in the more effective they are at feeding. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am always learning something new. I thought I knew all there was to know about bass. I guess I was wrong. I appreciate your knowledge. Thanks for enlightening me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts