BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stripers Forever - Below we've pasted a copy of a press release from the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA). It addresses a saltwater fishing license proposal in Delaware. SF has taken no formal position on saltwater fishing licenses, though we recognize the benefits that can occur, as evidenced by the strength of the recreational fishing voice in states like Texas. We do think that if a license were to be issued, getting something for it would be a good idea. Giving the striped bass to the recreational community as a game fish would be as good a trade as we can imagine. We urge our Delaware members to contact their legislators, and let them know how they feel. An amendment naming striped bass as a game fish to a license bill seems like a great idea to us. Our members from neighboring states might want to weigh in on this too. While you may not vote in DE, we're sure that many of you spend hard earned recreational dollars in that state. Contact information is available on our website www.stripersforever.org by clicking on the state of DE from the map on the left of the home page.
Brad Burns Stripers Forever

The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) is moving quickly to establish a saltwater fishing license for recreational anglers who fish Delaware marine waters. Specifically, the license would be an ?all waters license", meaning that the license would be valid for both fresh and saltwater fishing. Very few details of the proposal are known at this time besides that DNREC is considering a range of fees from $5 to $8.50 per year for residents and $15 to $20 per year for non-residents. In order for a license to be instituted, a bill would have to be passed by the Delaware legislature and signed into law by the Governor.
Historically, RFA has opposed the implementation of saltwater fishing licenses in states where a license does not currently exist. ?Reasons for this opposition included problems with funds being used inappropriately, flawed data collection systems, and a saltwater license is an unnecessary fee or tax considering that millions of dollars are collected through excise taxes on tackle and marine fuel and purchasing beach access passes," said Jim Donofrio, RFA executive director.
However, RFA recognizes that there are RFA members who support a saltwater license. ?One reason for supporting a license is that the funds generated can be used to improve access, such as the construction of additional fishing piers and boat ramps. Another reason is that the funds could be used for research activities that will improve fisheries management,? said Marvin Kahl, acting chairmen of RFA-DE chapter.
RFA-DE intends to poll all Delaware members for their opinion on the subject. ?We would prefer to have as many details as possible regarding how the license would be implemented in order to best gauge membership reaction for this proposal. Unfortunately, DNREC is being elusive regarding details of the proposal,? said Donofrio.
DNREC has announced a series of public meetings regarding the proposed license. These first meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 7th at the Delaware Technical & Community College, Owens Campus at the Lecture Hall in the William Carter Partnership Center on Route 18 (Seashore Highway) in Georgetown. The second meeting is on Wednesday, Feb. 8th at the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control Auditorium, 89 Kings Highway in Dover. The third meeting is on Thursday, Feb. 9th at the Ommelanden Hunter Education Center, 1205 River Road, New Castle. All meetings begin at 7 p.m.
?We strongly encourage all members to attend one of the meetings, learn more about what DNREC has in mind, and voice their opinion,? said Marvin.

###

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have never known the government to give me a benefit once they take my $. It is just another form of taxation! While I would like to think that there would be some benefit to the recreational fishermen I just feel that once they get their hands in your wallet (meaning you are required to get a license) then whatever noble cause you the license holder aspire to becomes disregarded as a nuisance.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The more I read the more I dislike. The license was "proposed" by DNREC. Why? They want your, my money. Did the DNREC contact the RFA for their input prior to the legislation? I am guessing no. As in the news release the details are nill. (The Devil is in the details!) Just give me the money and don't worry what we will use it for. If this passes it is just a drift away from NJ. And what happens to the Bay fishermen that go from NJ to DE? Would they be required to have the license? Keep the tidal waters free from a "Fishing License"!!! My opinion is NO! Next up will be a special permit to catch Stripers! Stop the Snowball from rolling!!!

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Maryland and Virginia have one already, the good news is the same one covers both states. I keep hearing this lame excuse that they need more information from fisherman/women, well why does that hve to cost us money. Just what are we going to get for our money. I'm against it. One thing you can count on is once they get it there will be steady increases in the " licensing" fees. It's just another name for a tax, plain and simple.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
If you remember last year there was talk of a federal license or registration to get a handle on the numbers of people who participate in saltwater fishing and it that states that had licenses in place could be exempt. Fla. has done a pretty good job with their set up and their fisheries have come back pretty good. We all want good fisheries management and don't want to see the money put into general funds. Dedicated funds seem to work well, especially if it can provide needed accurate data.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think that once the $ gets taken from your pocket nobody knows where it goes! Let the agencies that exist now do their duty to preserving the salt water fisheries. Other wise STAY OUT OF MY POCKET!!!!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I would not be opposed to expanding the existing freshwater license to include saltwater.
A seperate license is absolutely absurb!
I know you Pa. guys won't like it but I need a license if I want to fish in your State!

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EITHER State issues a license OR the FEDS will
Going to happen ,whether we like it or not
WHAT WE CAN DO is e-mail,fax, write ,or call your State and Federal Representative and ENCOUARGE the license WITH ALL MONEY going back into research.law enforecement,ICW/inlet dredging AND not into General Fund
Time to act is NOW as the license is coming
Florida has done a nice job and evidence all over of impact of license money

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think Willie has got it right,it's going to happen whether we like it or not.meanmachine is right to,n.j. will say they need it to.Boundaries in the delaware bay,that's a tough one,delaware is already trying to dictate policy on our side of the river.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I've looked at this a long time and even though it is definately a hot button to a lot of anglers, there is definately going to be a saltwater lisence somewhere in the future.

If we fight it it will be forced down our throats in the manner that the controling bodies want it. !!! HOWEVER!!! If we band together and demand that the state institute a lisence under our terms we have a damn good chance of getting something close to what we want.

The most important thing is to get NJ to institute a "FISHING" Lisence, not fresh, not salt but FISHING. As a member of the sport fishing industry I have seen a great decline in fresh water fishing at least in south Jersey, which I relate to two things. The constantly rising price of freshwater lisences and the improvement in salt water fishing. (Yes I said Improvement and I know I will take some knocks on that one, but I look at a whole lot of customers come thru my door and I feel I have a pretty good handle on this reality.)

The biggest thing that a lisence for all fishermen would do is to send a whole lot of Pittman- Robertson (?) excise tax money our way. That is the 10% you are paying on every piece of tackle you buy that goes back to the individual states according to the amount of lisenced fishermen in the state.

Even if the lisence only cost $2 it would repay us many times over. Of course we know nothing in NJ only costs 2 bucks, so there will be a whole lot of money which we have to define exactly how it would be spent. I'm definately not going into that now.

AS to tourism and non-residents very simple. Make all lisences the same for everybody. And make the paperwork simple! I don't sell freshwater lisences anymore because of all the paperwork. As a mater of fact the state of NJ doesn't even offer freshwater or hunting lisences at the Nacote Creek Enforcement office. And on top of everything else now to sell lisences you have to be responsible if the potential fisherman of hunter owes child support. Much more than I want to deal with.

Seem to be going off track,must be getting too close to cocktail hour. so let's open our minds and see if we cant get some of the best of them together and help design something that will help things out on the saltwater fishing scene.

There are a lot of great minds here on the barn. Unfortunately some of them are kept closed like the wallets of said Barners.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I e-mailed the adminastrator Roy Miller here's the answer.
In regard to your licensing question, the answer is not yet. However, if our proposed licensing legislation passes, then you would need a license to fish on the Delaware side of Delaware Bay. Obviously there is no clear line out there, so our enforcement officers will use discretion and obvious landmarks like the midchannel lighthouses. When you proceed seaward of Brandywine Light, there are no more mid-channel lighthouses, so I can't tell you at this time how enforcement will handle that area. If our license proposal passes, we will have to negotiate a line of demarcation with our neighbor to the east.

Roy W. Miller
Administrator of Fisheries
Division of Fish & Wildlife
89 Kings Highway
Dover, DE 19901
(302)739-9914
fax (302)739-6157

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
just when the striper regs get to be the same on both sides of the del bay. Oh well.. still limited to fishing the jersey side if this passes.. I knew it was too good to last.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just spoke to someone at DNREC who says no time soon. Possibly late 2006 or early 2007. They will post the progress on their website.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This is not meant to be a political statement, but my son , who lives and fishes in Delaware (also works for a marine supply company there) claims that one of their primary interests is to have out of state fishermen purchase their licenses----also, they have commisioned a task force to determine the exact dividing line in Delaware Bay---preliminary reports say that it's on the Jersey side of the shipping lanes.
I agree with you guys that a fair license is ok, but how many "fair" politicions are around ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts