BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me if the ramp in Chester near the bridge is open yet? I'm trying to find out for a friend -- I don't use it because I don't fish the Delaware. And, any thoughts on whether or not it is "SAFE" to park there during day hours? Thanks for the river info!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes, The gate is closed all you have to do is open it up.There is no sign saying it's closed.We launched our work boat from there twice already.As far as parking during the day I couldn't tell ya,we usually get dropped off.nice ramp though.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I have been told that it is not a place to leave your vehicle at night. On the Jersey side there is a ramp in aboat yard on Racoon Creek, much safer at night. Route 130 south, first right, left at the stop sign, marina is on the left.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I lived in Chester for 4 years. It's relatively safe there during the day assuming you don't leave anything out in the open and don't appear vulnerable. But I'd strongly discourage you from being there after sunset in the summer unless you are well armed.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Quick story for you all. In 1990 or so I used to keep my skiff in the water on Darby creek at a marina. The ramp at the marina was closed one night and my father and I wanted to take the skiff crabbing for a few days, and had to get the boat out of the slip. Well, My father drove the boat to the Chester ramp and I drove the truck. I had a really nice camera with me and at that time my truck was essentially new. I wanted to take pics of the boat while my father drove it over.

Well, he was a bit nervous in the river with the boat and was going really slow, so it started to darken before he got there. I had a bad habit of keeping my keys in my hand and wrapped on my finger. I was trying to direct him into the ramp and.....I am sure you know what is coming next.....PLOP..........I dropped the keys in the drink :eek: Without a thought I slid down between the boat and the dock until I was chin deep. I dunked down in the murky cool water and felt around like a giant dego catfish. On the second dip I came up with the keys! We loaded the boat and never looked back. The "locals" were starting to gather as the sun set and we had a sinking feeling, sorta like Wildebeasts on the African plains with the lions preparing for the hunt and kill.

Well today, my keys are handled in a much different manner!

Be careful down at that ramp........great ramp though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts