BASS BARN banner

Delaware River Fishing Striper Fishing

7K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  chot55 
#1 ·
I never fished the river for stripers but hear it is good fishing in the spring ? I live across from Philly and would like to know where to fish and is there any head boats ? Thanks in advance for any info.

#4 ·
Are you fishing from a boat or shoreline?

From shore, National Park, end of the road at Racoon Creek, Pennsville.

From a boat: from the Barry bridge south on the NJ side.
Check the Delaware license regs as the Delaware line is the low tide line on the NJ side.

#5 ·
They only go as far as the PA Turnpike bridge, so don't even think about going further north....:D :D

#10 ·
To clarify some of the previous responses. In 2012, an angler MUST return any herring they catch and cannot use them for bait. Stripers migrate north in the river to above Philipsburg. That's a long way above the turnpike bridge.
SSSSSSHhhhhhh!!!!!!! :please:

#13 ·
READYJETTGO "They only go as far as the PA Turnpike bridge, so don't even think about going further north.... "

This is is incorrect stripers run all the way up to the Trenton Makes Bridge well north of the Turnpike Bridge. It's one of the Best spots because the river narrows in this area...

try ry eels live or plastic. Ava jigs etc,,,, and of course bunker cut

and yes tons of people fish from the shoreline here too

good luck

#17 ·
water temp rose above 40 on Saturday! back down in upper 30's today. Saw a few fishing/freezing from the river in Pennsville. a few shorts and cats to show for the effort. C'mon warmer weather.

#18 ·
April is the best month by far. I dialed that fishery in a few years back when i was living in Blackwood for school. Just need to put your time in and find out what tide they wanna bite on. once you do....you can come back the same time the next day and have em dialed. Clean water (relatively clean for DE River standards at least) is key also.
I caught a lot of BIG fish. Ultimately I got bored with that fishery. It's not all that challenging. And I felt guilty tiring out these big females full of eggs and then releasing them hoping for the best. Saw a lot of knuckleheads catching fish and taking pics for 2 minutes then wondering why the fish didn't swim away all that fast or not even reviving them. Don't forget, these big fish only swim up that polluted river for one reason...and that's to spawn. I say leave em be.

End of March and you can catch some shorts for sure.
Have fun

Regards
Chot55
32 Proline Express "REAPER"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.