BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious and wanted to ask a question of the group here.

I live in the city and I guy I see every day says he is fishing down by the airport and he is catching stripers already.

Can anybody tell me if you think this guy is truthful or full of sh**!!

I want to get out with my son and get the lines wet but I am not reading too much on the board here about anything this far north, and can you really get decent stripers by the airport?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Normally a little later, but they spwan between Trenton and Bristol. I know guys whom have picked up several cows there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have seen a few caught on the opposite side of the river as far North as the airport but they were not very big and they were few and far between. I would follow the guy who knows maybe he stumbled onto a hot spot. Good luck

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Set the Hook said:
I was just curious and wanted to ask a question of the group here.

I live in the city and I guy I see every day says he is fishing down by the airport and he is catching stripers already.

Can anybody tell me if you think this guy is truthful or full of sh**!!

I want to get out with my son and get the lines wet but I am not reading too much on the board here about anything this far north, and can you really get decent stripers by the airport?
he is not lying nor is he full of it.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it too early in the season for these to be showing up down at this end by the airport?

And what in the world would one use for bait? I really have never tried for stripers in the DR near the airport!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Set the Hook said:
Is it too early in the season for these to be showing up down at this end by the airport?

And what in the world would one use for bait? I really have never tried for stripers in the DR near the airport!
Bloodworms before herring arrive

·
Registered
628 Posts
It's a little early but some can't wait and it can pay off but the bulk of the fish in that area and others are going to be caught when the water temp warms to 50's.But that is a good section of the river with many big fish I would try bloodworms eary in season then surf clams and herring as they become available...Good luck

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me just say that I appreciate all the help you folks have given me!

I really think I will now go and try my hand at this. I actually am excited to try this out!! I hope my 5yr old can handle it, not good with sitting still, but what 5yr old is?

Thanks!!
Chris

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've been hitting the river a little south of the airport on the jersey side for the past few weeks...and so far i have a handful of shorts to 24'' as well as one 28'' and one 36'' just the other day. pics in the freshwater thread ;)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rob, just saw the picture in the freshwater forum!!!
Sweet catch!! It looks like I will be out to find some blood worms!!
Would love to see my 5yr old land one that big!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
yeah they are starting to show up...its should only get better from here on out.im headin out the door right now for some!.best of luck to you and your son :D

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DA, thanks for the help as well!! My 5yr old loves to see catfish and to pull one out and onto land, I think he might just crap himself!!

I'm noticing a pattern, anything with some sort of blood content?

I remember a friend of mine and myself hit Cooper river years ago with steak and we caught all kinds of catfish. Biggest one was about 14lbs.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Set the hook

He's probably behind the UPS facility.....go at low tide and get the lay-of-the-land before you actually fish, it might suprise you.
Two keepers were caught at the point yesterday....no one will tell you where that is but it's pretty obvious......very competitive down there so be careful.

Remember the season is over 3/31 in the Tidal Delaware until June.

·
Registered
870 Posts
He is probably catching schoolies that are here year round. Little early for the big ones yet, although a couple have been reported, the bulk of the cows are on there way. I have fished off of the UPS terminal in my boat and mapped it with my Lowrance and there are lots of deep holes along that bank where they dug out of the river to build up the bulkhead. Makes for some nice little rips in there and I have caught fish there.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
lots of sweet spots on the river, in just a few short weeks it will be on fire. I cant wait, and as usual I will have reports and pics to follow. Some have been lucky enough to have been invited into our spots.....Where you at Joe? George, you coming up to play in a few weeks, Ken and I will get you hooked up. I love the river this time of year, there are resident fish getting active, and the spawners and schoolies are on there way, and LOTS of plus size catties to be had too.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Stop it, both George(Take One) and Joe(DeesNuts) have there own rigs that will be out there, I am just curious if we are gonna be fishing the same times so we can spread out and mug em up! You and Jr. are first on Ken's list, btw, he wants to hit the flats in about 2 weeks or so, I will be in touch. Watch out for Skippy, he has a sweet incentive to launch some treble hooks at you.:p

·
Registered
225 Posts
I used to fish for stripers out of Yardley, PA...there's a nice ramp there...we'd show up around 7-8pm as all the water crafts are getting off the water and motor down to a few spots we knew well...we'd always catch a few each night...my buddy ended up pulling up a nice 39" striper out of that area in the late 80's, when the stripers were in decline...we always did well using bomber plugs...then I got stupid and got a bigger boat that I couldn't launch for there...one day I'm going to pick up a 14' aluminum boat for that area again, very productive, stripers, small mouth, catfish, etc...had a ball...

Good luck...

DaveS

1 - 20 of 20 Posts