BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is probably asking way too much, I never fished the Big D before, and would like to give it a try for stripers. I live near Philly, I have a boat, 18.5' Skeeter, If anyone could give me a good spot to start looking for fish, I would really appreciated it. I not asking for your favorite hot spot just a starting point.
Thanks
Joe:confused:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Bridges

Try around the many bridges, flats near creek mouths, etc..... Find structure,bait and the right water temps and you'll find the fish.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Joey, go to Brinkmans tackle shop, get some blood worms then hit the water. Just poke around like you would for any fish, cuts, drops etc and you'll find them. The NJ Angler did a show where they went up to Trenton, caught bait on sabiki (sp) rigs then came down and fished by a bridge. Ask at Brinkmans about the regs. certain hooks can only be used and you'll need your Pa license. Good luck!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yes, inline circles from April 1 to May 30 in the Delaware River

Check the NJ Fish and Wildlife site for the 2008 Freshwater digest.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/digfsh.htm

on page 24:
"To protect spawning striped bass, from the Calhoun Street bridge near Trenton downstream to the Commodore Barry Bridge at Bridgeport, non-offset circle hooks must be used when using bait with a #2 sized hook or larger, from April 1 to May 30."

I'm sure PA has the same regulation on their website.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The circle hook rule was put in place to cut back on the mortality rate of the stripers. A lot of fish were getting gut hooked and dying so using these hooks saves a valuable resource. If you fish the mouths of creeks like the Rancocas or around bridges put your baits along the edges of the channels and you'll hook up. Live lining hearing or chunk herring baits are the best. Don't discard the head. The largest striper I've ever caught was taken several years ago at the mouth of the Rancocas creek on herring head hooked through the nostrils. The striper was over 50 lbs. Good luck:)

·
Registered
546 Posts
There's also a limit to the number of hooks on a sabiki rig. I think it's 3 but double check the regs.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
yes 3 hooks on a sabiki
just cut the hooks, leave the flashy stuff for extra atraction

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sic, that sounds right, I remember cutting some off, just couldn't remember how many.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
obow said:
The circle hook rule was put in place to cut back on the mortality rate of the stripers. A lot of fish were getting gut hooked and dying so using these hooks saves a valuable resource. If you fish the mouths of creeks like the Rancocas or around bridges put your baits along the edges of the channels and you'll hook up. Live lining hearing or chunk herring baits are the best. Don't discard the head. The largest striper I've ever caught was taken several years ago at the mouth of the Rancocas creek on herring head hooked through the nostrils. The striper was over 50 lbs. Good luck:)
Wow. congrats on that fish. How many years ago? That area has always been good for me for numbers, but not really size. Hitting it with the kayak starting later on this week.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Circle hooks are not in the PA requirement, however we still use them # 1 because we want to try to prevent gut hooking and killing spawners, # 2 because there is no "specific" rule about what side your fishing because PA or NJ could board you and start giving a hard time. I like to use circle hooks, even in the salt, let the fish take the bait, then just come down tight and start reeling, doesnt get much easier than that. In about 2 weeks the river is gonna go off, and I hope I am out there to be a part of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You Are Going To Need A Non Res Del Salt Water License For Your Boat $50 The Pa State Line South Down To The South Bank Of The C&d Canal Closed Seaon 4/1-5/31 Also Circle Hooks Min 3/8 '' Gap From Point To Shank Stripers Are Spoty 37" Last Week

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bill
I caught the large striper about 6 yrs. ago. It was a cold very windy afternoon, the wind was blow straight across the river from the Pa side. My son and I were anchored up between the main river buoy and the NJ shore line. We were casting our baits to the edge of the Rancocas creek channel. It was the best day we have ever had fishing the Delaware River. We caught several large striper's and a mess of smaller fish and we also caught a number a very large Channel cats. I guess the old theory to fish the windy side is true. We went out the next day the weather was nice the bit slow. The rig we used was a heavy egg sinker on the main line with a barrel swivel and 3 foot leader.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts