BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
3rd week in march is about when u can start betting on few migratory fish will
Be tere and willing to chomp. I've fishes the spring run here for last 5 years and I go out more than most cause it's so close I'm usually on river before sunup and fish til time for work then all day on 2 days off and I start first week of march records indicate water temp is major factor but usually by third week of march theres a slow steady pick of nice bass up around ranacokas river and more so down river near the hook. Fishfinders high lows drop shots thy all work. Bloods early then cut baits in late April til it ends eels work but here's a secret...... Live creek chubs(trust me)(this my good deed for the season) as big as u can find r a pretty solid bait especially since herring is closed.
This year I'm actually only using lures I never have on the river so it's gone be alot of hit and miss for me til I find them few patterns etc they will take on.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Live White Perch are deadly as well. It's amazing that anything can eat then with their sharp gill plates and dorsal spines.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
if youre gonna go from shore heres a tip if in tidal water. find youreself a spot that you will b able to casr from at high tide!!!.lol. we used to go to dod and would run out of fishing room when tide came up. reeds and bushes behind you will make it imposssible to cast unless u have waders. also bring xtra tackle there r snags in that river also. oh and if u find a place to get on beach with truck be careful . seen trucks get swamped because they got stuck and tide came in.lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
Live White Perch are deadly as well. It's amazing that anything can eat then with their sharp gill plates and dorsal spines.
In my experience the only time white perch are taken by striped bass is when they r injured or very small. But u can use pair of scissors and cut the dorsal fin off and liveline them. But overall not the best choice because the Stripers in the river r not actively feedin on white perch. Here's the peckin list in good order......shad, herring, eels, shedder crab. These r the main forage for the spawning striped bass in Delaware river. Bloods work tho they r not naturally found in the river but Stripers can't resist them early on when they r so easily digested and provide the fish with ample energy. Another great live bait (maybe not legal) is trout live lined and chunked and chumed especially near where they could be found like feeder creeks tht have trout stockings along the river. But as I've said before hands down and it's been tried and tested even against bloodworms after herring large creek chubs live or cut will out produce any other bait u can use on the big D. I log 30-40 hours a week on the river in the spring most years I'm giving up a gem here. CREEK CHUBS.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
The white perch used to eat our bloodworms so we brought big hooks with us and showed them who's boss. Stripers love them..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3rd week in march is about when u can start betting on few migratory fish will
Be tere and willing to chomp. I've fishes the spring run here for last 5 years and I go out more than most cause it's so close I'm usually on river before sunup and fish til time for work then all day on 2 days off and I start first week of march records indicate water temp is major factor but usually by third week of march theres a slow steady pick of nice bass up around ranacokas river and more so down river near the hook. Fishfinders high lows drop shots thy all work. Bloods early then cut baits in late April til it ends eels work but here's a secret...... Live creek chubs(trust me)(this my good deed for the season) as big as u can find r a pretty solid bait especially since herring is closed.
This year I'm actually only using lures I never have on the river so it's gone be alot of hit and miss for me til I find them few patterns etc they will take on.
Ok Mu fish thanks for the info! Where do I get those chubs pleae!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Where to get creek chubs???? Ummm well I have a Drainage ditch tht has a creek running off into the neshaminy Creek I personally catch mine with tiny hook and Lil piece of earth worm. All u need is a minnow bucket with air stone and u can pack em in as tight as u like they will live. I catch them in less than a foot of water most times. I can load up about 100 in 2 hours easily but usually I jus grab wht I need each trip. Almost all small creek have them they r a very spooky bait fish once they know ur there they will Stop feeding and u have to move on to next pocket. This creek is like my own personal stock of chubs. I check on them Through the winter even jus to make sure I'm not taking to many and they r reproducing in sufficient numbers to last my spring season. This season as I've said Im fishing only lures unless they don't get the bite going the way I hope then it will be back to chubs, eels, & trout.
One year I did find a few companies up north that sell creek chubs u can google it. I have to find the invoice but I ordered from them some 4 years ago after I totally crushed my Lil creek and left it almost bare so I had no chubs so had to order them. I'll c if I can find them. Brinkman's bait and tackle may also be able to help us out this year maybe I can convince him to order a few shipments and see if ppl like using them. The bigger the better I usually use ones from 4-6" some years I get lucky and I get a bunch of 6-8" and two are truly the best bait after herring. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
:thumbsup:MuFish you definitely have a knack for getting creek chubs. I'm impressed by the fact you were trying to spread your catching out so you didn't crush your bait source. I kind of did the same thing when I trapped minnows and used live bait a lot for FW and SW. I would hit different creeks in rotation so as not to cut down too much on the overall supply.

I used to catch chubs/suckers in the minnow traps by enlarging the holes. Got them in smaller feeder creeks where the water is quieter. Would get 1 or 2 every time...the only drawback is you will get some giant eels as well. If you can use em that's fine, but some of the eels that I would get were over 2', not the best for fishing from an inlet or rip, so I would just throw them back.

Some good advice here.

·
Registered
477 Posts
2' eels? Man the bigger the better when u think they r too big jus chunk them up too. Nothing disperses scent throughout the water column better than an eel. I'd throw them 2footers til they lifeless then chunk the slimy buggers up. Chunk eels r a great river bait also forgot to mention tht one Tks.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Ahhh creek chubs, hearty and frisky......just a tip for you guys trying to get the mambo 6+" chubs, a size 10 hook, a small piece of worm and a big splitshot.....the reason for the big splitshot is to get the bait to the bottom as fast as possible.....if there are sunnies in the hole a slow sinking piece of worm will never make it to the bottom where the chubs feed....once it hits the bottom let the small chub meat ball develop......there will be 10 3" long chubs fighting over your piece of worm.....that draws the big chubs out, pull the bait from the little ones and the big ones hammer it every time.

Up until last year I would sooner share my woman than divulge any of my chub spots, when we were catfishing a few times a week.....being able to put 2 dozen big chubs in the bucket consistently was a chore, switch up holes....once you hammer a hole it takes a few weeks for it to come back. Since I didnt even get a fresh water license last year I took a buddy down to a few holes to help him bait up for a catfish tourney, he could not get past the small bass bait sized chubs.......while I filled his bucket with 20 or so 5-8" chubs.......and yes I do get them consistently to 8", you just have to get off the beaten path. Most of my good holes have one thing in common....submerged wood, the big ones are tight to it every time.....get close to it and the little ones swarm......that is what draws the big ones out, chub fishing is a sight fishing game.....if you want the big ones anyway.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Boy that brings back memories.

Back in the 70's all I needed was a couple of small earth worms to pick a bucket full of chubs and redfins. I haven't seen any redfins since then. Tactics were always pick worms in garden(1-2 minutes), hit the creek(15-20 minutes), then on to musky fishing.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Don't underestimate chicken livers as a striper bait. Just a pain in the neck to cast with from shore. Couple guys I know will use surf clam in the river too, and seem to do well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts