BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a strange year for catching blue crab. In the past, I would catch approximately 85% jimmies, not really big as the biggest ones were about 6.5". This year, I began with a majority of females, then it progressed to favoring jimmies, and in the last week it has been 90% females, and today they were all female.

I do not usually keep the females, as I would rather have them reproduce, unless I have no jimmies.

I am preparing to visit NJ tomorrow, so I pulled my pots and selected the largest dozen of females to cook as I could not throw them back this late in the season. So I decided to try something new for me, so I cleaned them out and steamed them in a covered frying pan.

I placed the bodies and claws in the pan, added about 8-10 cloves of peeled garlic cloves, some crushed red-pepper flakes, some black pepper, and a can of beer, and 3/4 stick of butter. I cranked it up high until it was steaming and turned it down as it was at a boil for eight minutes, and turned off the heat and let it rest for several minutes.

Well we worked on picking and eating crab for about an hour, and it was delicious. Luckily, I found a container of leftover, cooked spaghetti in the refrigerator, so I heated the remained sauce and added the pasta. I finished my meal with the pasta, and it was delicious.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Nice !

Wife likes crabbing, I hate it. Love picking them a time or two during the season and told her we gotta get out. Have a new spot in mind and you inspired me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, I forgot the half a lemon squeezed over the crabs before I cooked them. The only thing I was missing was a crusty Italian bread. But I will fix that, as we visit Freehold, I will go over to Rosario's Deli and buy several loaves of Italian bread from Melone's Bakery in Port Richmond, Staten Island, NY.

Melone's Bakery was a place where my step-father-in-law would go to in the late 1930's and early 1940's to buy bread after going to the movies, before he joined the Sea Bees in 1943.

·
Registered
31,031 Posts
and in the last week it has been 90% females, and today they were all female.
They're zombie crabs. You get a lot of females in the spring as they're coming out from the winter. They spend their summer in deeper water laying eggs when they are mature. After they're done laying eggs they'll move into shallower water, they'll feed until it gets too cold then they die.

This time of year you can keep the mature females, they're only going to die anyway. They only lay eggs for one season

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
They're zombie crabs. You get a lot of females in the spring as they're coming out from the winter. They spend their summer in deeper water laying eggs when they are mature. After they're done laying eggs they'll move into shallower water, they'll feed until it gets too cold then they die.

This time of year you can keep the mature females, they're only going to die anyway. They only lay eggs for one season
I didn’t know this. Another interesting crab fact.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
Oops, I forgot the half a lemon squeezed over the crabs before I cooked them. The only thing I was missing was a crusty Italian bread. But I will fix that, as we visit Freehold, I will go over to Rosario's Deli and buy several loaves of Italian bread from Melone's Bakery in Port Richmond, Staten Island, NY.

Melone's Bakery was a place where my step-father-in-law would go to in the late 1930's and early 1940's to buy bread after going to the movies, before he joined the Sea Bees in 1943.
Funny you are coming this way as I will be going south on Sunday. My next trip south is Oct 9 or 10, not sure which day I will leave but I will let you know.
And the crabs sounded good in the garlic!

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
Nice !

Wife likes crabbing, I hate it. Love picking them a time or two during the season and told her we gotta get out. Have a new spot in mind and you inspired me. :thumbsup:
Make a “romantic” overnight and go down to the Old Mill Crab House in Delmar. Just make a right off 13 on the Delaware Maryland state line. Place is awesome. Call ahead to confirm time. Check it out, you (or Mrs. Cphase) will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
We like the Tap Room In Chesapeake City or if we're in for a ride Watermans in Rockhall. But if I want to steam them myself I go to Master Baiters Tackle shop on Rt 13 A few miles past the airport. They always have high quality crabs.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny you are coming this way as I will be going south on Sunday. My next trip south is Oct 9 or 10, not sure which day I will leave but I will let you know.
And the crabs sounded good in the garlic!
I expect to be here the weekend of Oct 9, look forward to meeting you.

·
Registered
74,340 Posts
We like the Tap Room In Chesapeake City or if we're in for a ride Watermans in Rockhall. But if I want to steam them myself I go to Master Baiters Tackle shop on Rt 13 A few miles past the airport. They always have high quality crabs.
All good choices:thumbsup:
I just tried their chicken necks for our upcoming trips. good quality and better prices than Yanks.
Of topic but you'll appreciate this. Took the kids out yesterday afternoon to wet a line behind Boeing (you know the area :thumbsup:) I'm throwing plugs the kids are bottom fishing. They both pulled in several healthy Blue claws

·
Registered
31,586 Posts
Nice !

I love crabs but grow tired of picking them quickly. My in-laws used to live on the Chesapeake (Deal Island) and we picked crabs every weekend for years. You can actually get tired of it, if you can believe that. :D. I’ll etill pick and eat 3 or 4 if someone brings them to a party. Hard to resist.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
I discovered a new area in Western Cape May County this year that is untapped and mind blowing. I've only hit it once so far by kayak and 4 traps and felt I could have easily filled a bushel basket had I had more traps and been on a boat. The day I went there I did not pull up a single female and only a couple were small. Best pull was 3 keepers. Only ventured a few hundred yards from where I launched and based on Google Maps there is a vast amount of area to explore.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
All good choices:thumbsup:
I just tried their chicken necks for our upcoming trips. good quality and better prices than Yanks.
Of topic but you'll appreciate this. Took the kids out yesterday afternoon to wet a line behind Boeing (you know the area :thumbsup:) I'm throwing plugs the kids are bottom fishing. They both pulled in several healthy Blue claws
Are you talking the Jersey side? Can't get behind Boeing. Or were you in a boat?

·
Registered
74,340 Posts
Are you talking the Jersey side? Can't get behind Boeing. Or were you in a boat?
By boat. the kids like it ther if they are testing helicopters. No such luck so we went down by the CBB and worked our way up to the hole on the jersey side

1 - 14 of 14 Posts