BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post on the BassBarn.
This also being the first time I fished for stripers on the river.
My son and his girlfriend joined me. We fished about an hour for bait fish, just below the train bridge early Sunday afternoon filling the live well with 30-40 Herring. As soon as the tide was up high enough we moved up river to anchor and live line for Stripers. We arrived at the same time with another boat in a nice looking spot. They were fishing about 40 yards below us and picked up 3 nice Stripers 15-30 lbs. in 2.5 hours. My son?s girlfriend got our only hookup of the day, it stripped off 100 yards of braided 30lb test as it powered up river and snapped the line as it reached the end. The expression on her face was priceless. It was a great day on the water. I can't wait to try it again later this week. Next time I?ll be prepared.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She just yelled to my son, hey babe! Hey babe!! She was really in shock I think, the only fish she ever caught before this day was a sunny. All I could do is watch from where I was in the boat. My son grabbed the rod as quickly as he could and tightened down the drag to try and turn him but it was too late.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Originally posted by OneLastCast:
She just yelled to my son, hey babe! Hey babe!! She was really in shock I think, the only fish she ever caught before this day was a sunny. All I could do is watch from where I was in the boat. My son grabbed the rod as quickly as he could and tightened down the drag to try and turn him but it was too late.
That sucks, those runoffs always seem to happen when you're not sitting there looking at the rod

I dropped & spilled a perfectly good gatorade the other week when I had one. Nothing beats that feeling of exitement when your rod starts going nuts though.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Originally posted by mch:
Nothing beats that feeling of exitement when your rod starts going nuts though.
Except when striper smashes your top water plug. :cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great Story,
How did you catch your herring, gold hooks or sabaki rigs??? Did you catch them on the boat or did you fish for them from the shore

I am looking to take my neighbor out this week,

Thanks in advance.

keo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure of the maker but it was a herring rig with 6-8 gold hooks. I used a 3 oz weight in front to get to the bottom quickly and jig from the boat. You can go with a lighter weight on a light rig but the herring were all over the river and can be caught from the bank as well, but they seem to like the channels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
herring are in pretty thick now. got 30 in about an hour on saturday. sabaki rigs seem to work best. you are only allowed to use 3 hooks so you must cut the rest off if you buy a 6 hook rig.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My dad and I fished the Delaware River near the train bridge in Trenton on Friday 4/28 and we managed to put 20 herring in the boat before heading a half mile upriver to fish for Stripers. We put two lines in the water with live herring on 8/0 Circle hooks and within a few minutes my father spotted a bump in my rod. I decided to leave it in the water to soak. 5 minutes later I started to reel it in to check the condition of my bait. On the way in, bam, the fish starts to strip off line like no tomorrow. I started to worry that other boats would cross my line. After about 5 minutes of running, I started to see a letup, so I began retrieving, and 15 minutes later we netted a 38" striper. Beautiful fish, a shame to let it go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i thought i would tell last cast that any herron set up can only have 3 hooks ,baware of fish commmission they will fine you,and only 35 herron per person in pennas. i don't know if it same in jersey.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not to throw water on the at fish that got away. looks like the reason he broke off is he comitted the cardinal sin of tighimg the drag on a fish that had run off a lot of line. The best thing you could do is check your drags with a scale and keep as little a 5 pounds of drag. I have never lost a fish to broken line if the drags is in proper working order. This is a good tip. Next time the fish won't get away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info; I must have missed the three hook limit in the regulations. Speaking of regulations I did see State Police cruising around checking boat stickers and such. It was a shame they were not around later when I saw three adults and a baby in an 8ft. rectangle plastic pond boat out there. I could not believe how ignorant some people can be. The two guys were actually standing in the back lifting the front completely out of the water. These guys should have been locked up for endangering a child. At least they had enough sense to put a life jacket on the baby.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Originally posted by TSStriper:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tucker:
Beautiful fish, a shame to let it go.
The beautiful thing that happened was the that you let it go!! ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Agreed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Talking about letting go. Today my son Jason pulled the boat out bright and early this morning before I was even up for work. Put in at Trenton and had 12 herring in the livewell in 15 minutes. He went back up river above Trenton and was anchored by rushour. As the tide was going out he managed 1 runnoff 3 misses and boated 4 in a span of about 1 hour. Fish were all nice size, 26", 2x28",and a 32". All released in good health. They seem to turn off as quick as they turned on. I can't wait to get out there Sunday again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts