BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone paddled from Jake's Landing out to the D-Bay? I 'm interested in trying it in the next couple of weeks. Any input would be helpful! Is anyone interested in joining the paddle out there? :cool:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
John,

Fly-Ty-R (Dave), might be able to help you on this one. That was once his neck of the woods and I know he yakked most of the waterways in that area at one time or another.

Shoot him an email. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
JohnG,

I've done it. Just plan your trip around the tide and keep an ear out for boats as they crank that creek pretty hard and can be on you before you know it. You could also put in at Stimpson's Island RD. It's a nice easy paddle to the bay and if you have a nice day you could paddle down to East creek or Dennis.

It's 3mi. from Jakes to mouth. It's 3/4 mi to bay from Stimpson's and about 1.4 down the bay to the mouth of Dennis. Hope this helps.

[ 03-28-2006, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: CAPTKIRK ]

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
That's a long way to paddle has to be at least 3-4 miles to the bay. But I'm not a yakker so maybe thats not too bad. Like captkirk says plan your trip aound the tide. I would hate to have to paddle all the way back against the tide.

[ 03-28-2006, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: DRIFTER1 ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
John:
First off, WATCH YOUR TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stress that enough on Del Bay Creeks. There is MUCH more current and tidal drop than you are used to in Brig. I think it's about a 7-8ft drop in this area, depending on moon and wind.

Just watch yourself on Dennis. It's a tougher stream to yak than you may first realize. The distance out to the Bay is about 3 miles. And the current rips through there on the outgoing. You won't want to have to paddle upstream against it, because you might not go anywhere... Like CaptKirk said, it gets wind-whipped pretty well around the mouth because it's an east-west facing stream.

The other creeks in the area are pretty good to yak, though. Like Steve said, I used to live right on West Creek. Like CaptKirk said, West Creek has an access at the end of Stimpson Island Rd on the PSEG property. It's a switchback type ramp, so you can only launch car toppers and yaks there. Just watch the mud and the tide, as it is really really bad at low tide. You can also launch on West Creek at the Rt 47 bridge, though it's about 7 winding miles out to the Bay from there. It's a small, tight winding creek up there. Again, watch the mud at the launch. East Creek is tough to launch in because it's all private land. You can launch on the side of the Rt 47 bridge if you're daring enough, though. I know some duck hunters who do it. You can also launch at the Maurice River Twp PSEG property, on the road to Thompsons Beach. Those are some creeks that PSEG created when they rehabed the area. They make a big "D" out to the Bay, one on each side of the launch. Again, and I can't understate it enough, WATCH YOUR TIDE!!!!!! It rips out of there so fast, you can literally stand there and watch it retreat. I've been stuck in the mud there more than once, and it's not mud you can walk on. Del Bay mud is much siltier and weaker than Atlantic Coast mud. I'd also suggest that you take an aerial map of the creeks (Thompsons Beach and West Creek). The new channels don't show up on the topos as they are too new. You'll need at least the 2002 aerials from Google Earth or another source. The old 1995 aerials don't show them either. You can get lost pretty easily if you don't know where you're going. I've done that too... ;)

Good luck out there, and please let someone know if you're yakking out on those creeks. More than likely you'll be the only person around for miles... For that reason they are good to yak.

[ 03-28-2006, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Jack,

Dave has been known to pick a few decent stripers from those creeks....I'll let him fill you in. ;)

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Umm, yes, but then I'd be spilling secret spots all over the deck of the Barn, and that's a no-no... :D

Yes, there are stripers in there (mostly larger fish, not shorts), but you have to have either a skiff or yak to get into them and fish them effectively. No deep-V boats are getting into the good spots, that's for sure. You also kind of have to know what you are doing, or else you'll never catch anything. ;)

[ 03-28-2006, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Like Fly Ty R said those creeks empty like someone pulled a plug. If you are even thinking of Thompson's beach area I would recommend the right side facing the bay as you have a better chance of getting back if you wait too long on the outgoing. The bottom is not as bad on that side and it holds water a little longer. If you try the left side make sure you have no sharp objects with you as you will probably slit your wrist if things go sour. If you get stuck on that side you are screwed as that mud has no bottom.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I would be timing the tide, and staying away from the mud! Been stuck at low tide in the South river before, no fun! Does the creek get dry at low tide with full or new moon? or just really low? Thanks JG

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Shouldn't have trouble with the creeks drying at Dennis or even west as the channel cuts pretty close to the launch area. Thompson's creeks go dry every day it's just a matter of when.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yeah, Dennis and West don't dry up at all at the launch spots. Just at West watch the mud at the launches, that's all. It's really slippery and gooey and you'll end up on your back or in the water in no time!!

Thompson's does dry up completely at the launch. It is gooey mud that goes over your head. I've had the pleasure of being muddied up there several times because I was about 15 minutes too late getting back to the launch. Yes, the right side at the launch does hold water slightly longer than the left side, but not much longer. You pretty much HAVE TO get out of there at around 2 hours past high, or else you'll be stuck for the long haul, unless you'd like a smelly mud bath :eek: .

[ 03-29-2006, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I duck hunt that area quite a bit and I agree with all of the above.

Watch the tide and it does rip out of there.

JACK - yes there are bass in there

[ 03-31-2006, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: mako ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.