BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need suggestions for the best depth finder setup for a Hobie Outback. What is the approx cost range and is it easy to install? Thank you for the advise!

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
I'm just starting the kayak ownership myself here, so I'm a novice with the finder idea. But, I do have this bit of info for you. The kayak I just purchased their doing the transducer inside the hull as a shoot thru. They make a kit to do this yourself, this way you don't have a exposed transducer to worry about on the exterior.

I purchased the lowrance x-4

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Here's a few photo's of a few ways we have rigged them up to give you some ideas:

This is the Hobie Full Size FF install kit. Approx. cost is $100 for all the rigging materials. Super easy to install.

Here's a set up using a dry box for the battery. Cost is probably anywhere from $50-100 depending on brand, etc.

The costs do not include the price of the Sounder or RAM mount.
I'll try to find some photo's of Outbacks we've done and post them for ya.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I live in Williamstown, so I might stop up to Sportsman's Outpost today. Do you sell the depth finders and rigging at the store?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I've got a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100. I put a Hummingbird 190C in it. Wired it to a cabelas battery in a dry box. The box is attached with velcro to the hull. I attached the transducer using plumbers putty to shoot thru the hull. It works great. Cheap, easy install.

·
Registered
191 Posts
depth finder help

from what i understand before you use the puddy to install the transducer, you have to sand down the hull where you plan to mount it. 2 questions.1 doesnt that weakin the hull? 2. doesnt that mess up the water temperature {inaccurate temp reading} ?:wave:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I live in Williamstown, so I might stop up to Sportsman's Outpost today. Do you sell the depth finders and rigging at the store?
We have the Hobie Full Size FF install kit and the Hobie Compact FF install kit at the Outpost right now. Mike can show you both methods, and also lead you in the right direction as far running the wires, etc. Will be getting the 7 amp batteries, chargers, and dry boxes in too, once our spring orders start arriving. There are a few depth finders there as well.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
from what i understand before you use the puddy to install the transducer, you have to sand down the hull where you plan to mount it. 2 questions.1 doesnt that weakin the hull? 2. doesnt that mess up the water temperature {inaccurate temp reading} ?:wave:
You can very LIGHTLY sand the hull with a fine grade sandpaper (for a little better adhesion), then wipe the area with rubbing alcohol to remove any residues, grit, etc. and allow to dry. It will not weaken the hull or affect temp reading. The electricians putty has been working pretty well for us here, for mounting the transducer.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Wire Cap

I like using this Wire Cap to run my wire(s) out through the hull. You can get them at West Marine. (or it's included with the Hobie Full Size kit.)
Of course this is on a Pro Angler... on the Outback I place it in the tray area. (Still can't find my Outback FF photo's... sorry.)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Fuse

You also should use a 3 amp fuse in a Marine Grade fuse holder as well when you do your install. The Lowrance FF come with the fuse and fuse holder. The Humminbirds, you will need to purchase these items. Also, I have been using these water proof wire nuts lately instead of soddering... you can get them at Lowes. (The one I got at Lowes is the blue one.) Twist them on, make sure your FF powers up, then lastly you can dab some Marine Goop on the ends to keep moisture out. If you use the drybox/battery method, it is best to have the fuse holder inside the drybox.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I used a rubber stopper, like $.075 from home depot.....in the hardware drawers.....Drill a hole for each wire and cut through the holes so you can slide your wires in. Leave one section attached so it'll stay together.....if that makes any sense. jam it into the hole with the two wires, totally waterproof and almost free.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

I sanded with 220 until the shine was gone. Worked the putty until it was a warm pliable ball and flattened it to about 1/4" thinck and slightly larger then the transducer. Press the transducer into the putty and you're done. The water temp won't respond as quickly since it's being taken thru the plastic. The plastic warms to the water temp and transfers the temp to the putty and transducer. I can't say how accurate it is. It def changes so i'm sure it's working.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I asked barrell about the temp reading...he said within a degree or so after a few minutes... i would think there are install factors that would alter that as well. take a thermometer and see what your setup tells you...

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I asked barrell about the temp reading...he said within a degree or so after a few minutes... i would think there are install factors that would alter that as well. take a thermometer and see what your setup tells you...
After about 1/2 hour temp is within one degree. We do a very simple install that has been problem free. The less hardware and connectors you use the better. Less things to fail.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
can anyone tell me what kind of battery they use?? im thinking of doing my kayak, and where to get the foam to keep the battery stationary??
The 7.5 ah batteries everyone talks about are designed for use mostly in fire exit signs. I think they're ideal, they're not too big or heavy and they wll give you very good life.

I built a box out of a cutting board, minus the top and front to hold mine. Wire tied it to the sail mast in my hobie. couple screws in the box for a little bungee cord to attach to holds the battery in place. I had the box totally sealed before and it was a hassle to charge the battery so I took off the top and front and don't have any corosion problems.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I used the battery from cabelas. It comes with the charger and works great (8 ah). I put it in a pelican case that I got from the llbean factory store for 25 bux. Drilled a hole for the wires and sealed it it's lexel. Nice and waterproof.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
can anyone tell me what kind of battery they use?? im thinking of doing my kayak, and where to get the foam to keep the battery stationary??
The larger sealed batteries are nice because they last awhile with a small black and whiteFF. But many guys still use a 8 or 10 aa battery pack which is small light and cheap ($6). The 8aa will last for about 5 or 6 daylight fishing tripe or 2or 3 nightime trips using the backlight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.