BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a new color fishfinder . Want recommendations on Furuno, Ray marine, garmin etc.

I want it to work also in shallow water 2' . I had a Furuno FCV 600L which was a very good sounder, however I could not get it to plot in less that 3' of water.

Opions, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
I have the same issue with my Furuno FCV600L in shallow water. Factory techs told me to put in manual mode and turn off gain. Never did seem to work too well for me though. Otherwise it has been a good unit that has always worked. I'd definitely consider the new Raymarine digital units. Great colors and can be seen in any type of lighting condition. Hope to replace mine some day with a Raymarine unit. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
The only way from my experience to get rid of the shallow water dead zone (that is caused by pulse width I believe) is to go with a fully digital machine like the Raymarine ones. Maybe others can do it now but I haven't personally seen their performance.

Supposedly the digital Raymarines are far and away the best..but hte actual units have had issues that really have turned some off...other with no problems love them and every company has had issues with machines at one time or another.

Remember the transducer and the mounting can make or break a machine too....

·
Registered
705 Posts
Furuno 585

We just installed a new Furuno 585 with a 1kw bronze thru hull flush mount transducer. The clarity on the unit is incredible, it is has the new digital technology. Always had luck with the Furuno stuff myself. Joe/Dave, Manasquan Inlet, NJ

·
Registered
275 Posts
Garmin

Long Point said:
Looking to purchase a new color fishfinder . Want recommendations on Furuno, Ray marine, garmin etc.

I want it to work also in shallow water 2' . I had a Furuno FCV 600L which was a very good sounder, however I could not get it to plot in less that 3' of water.

Opions, thanks in advance.
I have the Garmin 4212 on my 27' Amberjack and have no problem in shallow water.

I have been out to the Canyons on boats that use the Ray C and E series and loved the machines, but when it came down to cost the Garmin won and the features where better.

Mike

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
If your trying to read depth in West Creek at low tide I'm not sure any machine will read. I think the bottom is real soft and I've seen several machines lose bottom in there. I'm going to go with Raymarine A60 when I buy.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vitalsigns said:
If your trying to read depth in West Creek at low tide I'm not sure any machine will read. I think the bottom is real soft and I've seen several machines lose bottom in there. I'm going to go with Raymarine A60 when I buy.
I am not talking about west creek, there is 5' of silt in there.
I do alot of night fishing, and skinny water getting to some of my haunts.:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Used a Garmin 178 on 23' Steiger it worked well in shallow water. Replaced it this winter with a Garmin 478.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts