BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there that can work, or know someone that can work on a 87 30 hp evinrude outboard so that I can go fishing. Carb needs to be cleaned. I'm in shawcrest but can bring motor to you. Sick to my stomach watching everyone catch my fish.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If all you need is the carb to be cleaned, get a can of seafoam, mix it with 3/4 gallon of gasoline (dont forget to mix oil if you premix your fuel). put the gas line right in that and run it about 15-20 minutes. you will see some smoke, dont worry, that is the gunk burning off. you may have to play with the choke, or give it some gas while it burns off to keep it running. Then you should be good to go. cleans the carb good as new. Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hey I had the exact problem today. I got out at 7am and as I'm leaving the dock to Thorpe up it just starts dieing real quick. Keeps happening. RatherBfishin thank you I'm going to go get that stuff and try it

·
Registered
21 Posts
BaconBits, I had trouble with my carb on a 20 hp Tohatsu from day one. In my third fishing season, I read that tip and tried it, havent had an issue since.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Is there anyone out there that can work, or know someone that can work on a 87 30 hp evinrude outboard so that I can go fishing. Carb needs to be cleaned. I'm in shawcrest but can bring motor to you. Sick to my stomach watching everyone catch my fish.
buddy of mine lives in shaw crest. Names mike dannenhauer im sure hed take a look at it for u!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Seafoam is good stuff but I don't know how to put it into an outboard... in cars you just pull a vac line and suck half a can up and shut it off. I usually let it sit for a few hours then enjoy the smoke show. Mixing 2 ounces to a gallon won't do anything but treat the fuel and may be a good idea every few tanks.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I been using the stuff for years and it does work, if thats whats wrong with your engine. I would add about 1/3 can to a gal of fuel and start the engine to get into the carb. Shut the engine off and let it sit till tomorrow. Start it up again and let it run for a few mins again, it might run better, it might not. Let it sit another night and then do the same thing again, start it up and let it run for a few mins. If it runs better fill the tank the rest of the way with fuel and see what happens. They also make Seaform in a spray can, it used to be called Deep Creep, but I think they changed the name.

·
Registered
694 Posts
dump the whole bottle in. 1 bottle to 1 gallon at the 1st startup. change your plugs. If all you need to do is a carb clean, it's pretty easy to do yourself. Especially on those older models.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
dump the whole bottle in. 1 bottle to 1 gallon at the 1st startup. change your plugs. If all you need to do is a carb clean, it's pretty easy to do yourself. Especially on those older models.
there is zero reason to change plugs since you are in the process of decarbing them

·
Registered
289 Posts
i ended up cleaning the carb, figures i had to take off the starter which was a pain just to reach one carb bolt. it was my first time ever breaking into a motor, sprayed the hell out of the carb with carbcleaner and put it all back together, runs full throttle now but now im loosing fuel pressure or fuel prime ( I made a new thread any help would be great)

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
gO SEE JOE at Barnacle bills in Delmont, he is the best on Evinrudes

·
Registered
21 Posts
try changing the primer bulb on your fuel line now. Air may be getting in. They are cheap, can get them at Walmart. You can even get the who line with the bulb included. If that doesn't work, then it's time for a mechanic. There is a very nice guy at What Creek marina who works on outboards, give him a call.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Bought a new fuel line kit with bulb, I connected it from gas tank straight to engine then ran it in the river with no problems. so first problem was fixed by the carb, second problem fixed by the bulb. however I have a filter that hooks up between the gas tank and engine. now I'll hook up the new line and bulb to that and if i have a problem again i know for sure its something with the filter tube (filter has already been changed)

thank you guys for the help!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
jeff gousa -atlantic marine in seaville

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.