BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering two different express fishing boats 38 feet weighing 18,000 to 24,000 pounds. Each have two different engine options. I am looking for some feedback regarding my thoughts.

Boat A - 480hp Volvo's or 450hp Cat 3126 - years 2002 - 2004
  • I think the Volvo's are great engines except that service is limited in areas. In spite of that, I would take my chances rather than go with the 3126 Cats. I do my own routine service.
Boat B - 450ph Cat 3126 - 465hp Yanmars - 450hp Cat C-7 - 510hp Cat C-9 - 480 and 540 Cummins years 2002 - 2006
  • I would prefer in this order, Cummins, C-9 Cats, 465 Yanmars, C-7 Cats and last the 3126 Cats.
  • Given I have choices, I don't think I would buy the 3126 Cats.
  • As far as the others, I think that they are all reliable enough that I would allow other factors such as age, hours, etc to strongly effect my decision.
Feedback would be appreciated!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Captain Steve, a friend has had Cats, Cummins, and Yanmars in several different boats. He really likes the Yanmars. I talked with him today and he seems to agree with my list of preference except that I think he would put the Yanmars ahead, especially my application.

Thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
I do not know if the 3126 is any different or better in a boat, but I hate the one I have in my big truck. As far as the Cummins go they cannot be beat, I am talking in trucks still.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.