BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a ride past the beach and saw some guys digging worms. We get these long wite tapeworms up here in the RARTAN BAY. If you can keep them on the hook boy are they killer. How many of you dig your own???

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sure do- I noticed them one day when clamming. If you find a good spot you can easily get a dozen, but I usually find the blood worms not the tapes. Nasty little buggers though

·
Registered
212 Posts
I find tons of sandworms when i flip over sod pieces while waiting to get minnows...dont use them but they look just like blood worms, minus the blood

·
Registered
375 Posts
Blynch,

Try Dog Beach, low tide, dig w/ pitchfork there, you are looking for the black muck, thats where they live, or try flipping rocks over closer to the inlet promenade.

Amphibian (Tom)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just get some type of digging tool and go at low tide. Find a nice exposed flat or some exposed muddy sandy sod type soil and start digging, if you don't find any in the first minute of digging in one spot move a little to another. Keep moving till you find one and then you will probably find more.

I usually find a two different types, blood worms, and some type of thinner worm that I assume is the sand or tape worm others are talking about.

You can grab some damp sea weed from the shore to store them in and they last a while in that. Good luck

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Laurence Harbor

Or any beach on the Raritan you just follow the tideline.Whats a dozen sand worms cost this year?

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
fishy said:
I just took a ride past the beach and saw some guys digging worms. We get these long wite tapeworms up here in the RARTAN BAY. If you can keep them on the hook boy are they killer. How many of you dig your own???
have an old-timer friend who used to dig ALL the time, but his health has prevented him from getting out. I haven't fished bait that much, but know there are several types of worms available in the r. bay. All work.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My buddy digs them off Sandy Hook somewhere. He won't tell me where though. Doesn't matter, he always digs them and brings enough for the two of us, so I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
AJ168 said:
My buddy digs them off Sandy Hook somewhere. He won't tell me where though. Doesn't matter, he always digs them and brings enough for the two of us, so I'm not complaining.
he better not tell you because digging them there is illegal. :cool:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'd never heard that before. I thought it was only shellfish.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
rob said:
he better not tell you because digging them there is illegal. :cool:
had a friend get "busted"... an older gent, so they only warned him.
but it is a 'no no' there

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tuna

I'm sure tou can find them whereever you can find some sand at low tide. I know that is not tomany places there make the ride a bit north

1 - 15 of 15 Posts