BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found probably the worst pic of the recent cold snap. Taken in the Vero Beach area. Supposedly the FWC is involved with these idiots.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'd have to believe those snook were the unfortunate result of the cold snap. IE. found dead, not caught. Notice, all those guys, not a rod in sight.
you know something, you could be right. didnt think of the no rod in sight. at first your eye goes right to the bunch of dead snook, but some of them also look like they could of been dead for a while. only the people in the photo probably know for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes dead & floating. FYI Most are way over slot size. 28" - 32", 1 per person per day. (Gulf side 28 - 33) snook permit required in addition to license.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Can someone answer me a question: if the fish died because of the drop in the water temperature, and these guys found them floating, what's the big deal? What's wrong if they didn't kill a single fish?

I know that the regulations prohibit this, but I can'tget all worked up on guys collecting and eating fish that were already dead. Does this make me a meanie?

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Can someone answer me a question: if the fish died because of the drop in the water temperature, and these guys found them floating, what's the big deal? What's wrong if they didn't kill a single fish?

I know that the regulations prohibit this, but I can'tget all worked up on guys collecting and eating fish that were already dead. Does this make me a meanie?
Personaly, I agree, it's a shame the Snook took a hit but what the hell, collect the floaters and enjoy.
However, remember that in fact they did take a serious hit and drasticaly reduce your take when it is, legal. We, I'm sure, all realize the problem is the less than scrupulous anglers taking advantage of an unfortunate circumstance. :(

·
Registered
931 Posts
As a side not I wonder how snook taste, anyone ever eat them? On my last trip to florida I had pompano, redfish and another small fish I cant remember. Caught one snook but it was closed season so it was promptly and carefully released.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can't take the floaters, it's still poaching. Reason being that people would start using this as an excuse when they had over the limit catches...Sorry officer, we found these 4 extra fish , dead and floating, so we kept them...

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Its illegal to pick up roadkill here. I could care less though that they did this. It's better than them floating up under your private dock and rotting in the nice daytime sunshine.

Sure they are dopes for filling up their boat with dead snook but who knows maybe they were paid to do it by the game commission down there for research??? Key here is we don't know....:cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow....those are much larger than the ones I saw dead on the west coast. The west coast does have some springs offshore that pump out 72 degree water year round where the larger ones will congregate to avoid the cold. Can't imagine the number of good sized snook that were "float and release" by these guys...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dad sent me the same picture in a clipping from one of the treasure coast newspapers. These guys were actually helping with the clean-up effort. The snook were taken to a local tree farm to be used as fertilizer. The FWC has temporarily suspended harvest regulations on species that died due to the cold snap.

Details can be found here:
http://www.myfwc.com/NEWSROOM/10/statewide/News_10_X_ColdWeatherSaltFishKills3.htm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.