BASS BARN banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hear what happened on the Big J?? I heard that they went offshore caught and kept a massive amount of seabass and when they got back to the dock division of fish and game was waiting at the dock. Did anyone hear about it???:huh:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I heard about a large amount of seabass getting sezied. Didn't know it was the Big J. Any articles or is this all work of mouth?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
word of mouth..a friend of a friend was on the boat...anglers where ticketed 30 a fish. so figure 25 fish that 750 dollars!! i heard some anglers left all there tackle and coolers on the boat got in there cars and left to avoid ticketing!! im assuming they had more than 25 fish and figured it wasnt worth it!! idk why they run offshore trips when a season is closed!! the cod fishing isnt that good and many fish are going to die as by catch!! i dont agree with it at all!! how bout there fleet goes ling fishing a lil further out and doesnt pack there boats with 80 people!!!!! maybe the ling would be bigger than 8 inchs!!!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Running further offshore offers more spots that aren't hit as often and may be loaded with cod pollock. Any day the cod fishing will turn on just like last year it was farely slow around now and than the headboats had a solid week of 200+ keeper cod on the boat and the fishing stayed good from that point. Can't blame the bogans for running the trips gotta make money some how. As for 8 inch ling I don't know if maybe you had a bad trip but I've been fishing all winter and most of the ling I have caught were nice sized ones. I threw back maybe 15-20 ling, if that, that were under 10" out of the i dont know how many i caught and kept.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was on the last Offshore trip on the head boat and can say without a doubt it does not surprise me....There were tons of Porgy and 5 to 7 lb bass kept and People where leaving with not only coolers but burlap bags full of both Which are both closed in federal water.......

I can say the mates did mention to everyone as well as the captain what was legal to keep and what was not. So the blame falls on the fisherman and them only as they are the ones that broke the rules and are the ones that should pay. I can see a couple thousand pounds being the amount confiscated as the porgys were every bit of 2 to 3 lbs on average and the bass where in th 5 to 6 lb range on the trip I was on, And we were BAILING the bass I must have thrown back at least 40 in the 4 to 6 lb range myself.

What the fisherman keep is there problem they all know the rules and regs and the boat has them posted in at least 4 to 5 different locations and before you even board (the do a roll call for the offshore trips) The CAPTAIN MAKES A POINT TO TELL EVERYONE THE REGS.

I only caught 1 leagal ling that day so that is all I kept (i actually gave it to another angler) and people fishing around me where asking me why I was throwing the sea bass and porgies back and when I said the regs state that is the way it is most of them laughed and walked away.......

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was on the j2 and i had 27 ling but the sizes where kinda small. I was personally satisfied. There was only one cod on the entire boat. They didnt leave the shark river reef grounds all day. On a 15 hour trip I kind of expect that they would have went further than 16 miles and fished deeper than they did. As for the big J they went out to the 80 mile wrecks. They in my opinion could have fished closer like say 40 miles to maybe avoid all the seabass. I know its the anglers responsibility to know the rules, however in my opinion they where targeting seabass. If all they where catching is seabass and the season is closed they should move the boat!! :thumbsdown: Last year they sailed when it was closed killed the seabass and didnt get caught. I guess it didnt work out for them this year. There customers paid like 200+ fair and thousands in fines. Shame on the anglers and the boat!!! :naughty: Like I said I was satisfied with my trip.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is the fisherman's responsibility to know and follow the laws. (Even if they suck!) :(
The boat should move the boat. If they are killing seabass by throwing them to the seagulls, move the boat!! Or just go ling fishing so you dont have to pack the J2 with 90 people!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would agree that the captains should only have to post what can and can't be taken, they shouldn't have to act as law enforcement also which is why we have DFW. Also keep in ind that it could tell real ugly and at some point probably would. Don't want mates, captains and other patrons getting caught up in all that at sea. The Fish and Game should make their presence known until the problem stops because it is a shame to see what some guys get away with. Have seen any number of short black fish and fluke kept, sea bass and porgies, it's an every day occurrence and if someone wants to roll the dice they should be prepared to pay the price if caught. Someone earlier posted that 25 sea bass at $30 each or a $750 fine. I can assure you the people keeping fish were not adhering to the in season creel limit either so the fine if caught I'm sure in some cases would have been a lot more than $750. Everyone should and are bound by the same regulations like them or not, I hope the offenders all pay steep fines. Unfortunately the boat in question seems to have it's share of people who don't care and truthfully the DFW should be at the ramp every time that boat docks. Maybe with the money they'd collect the honest fisherman wouldn't be worrying about a salt water license in a few years. I'm actually happy to hear someone did something about it and I hope everyone on board who had their coolers filled with porgies and 4 - 6 lb sea bass are writing big checks this evening.

Dakota

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I think the Captain and Mates should be held accountable! They can not just look the other way when 100's of fish are being taken illegaly. They have a responsibility here since they are charging money to get anglers out in the ocean to fish. They should be stewards of the sea just like anyone else.

Funny how comms get called out because they are in it just for the money. Well any party boat that lets rampant poaching go on is in it just for the money.

If the story turns out to be true whatever boat it was will never see my money ever again!:mad:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think the Captain and Mates should be held accountable! They can not just look the other way when 100's of fish are being taken illegaly. They have a responsibility here since they are charging money to get anglers out in the ocean to fish. They should be stewards of the sea just like anyone else.

Funny how comms get called out because they are in it just for the money. Well any party boat that lets rampant poaching go on is in it just for the money.

If the story turns out to be true whatever boat it was will never see my money ever again!:mad:

I couldnt agree more as according to maritime law the CAPTAIN is responsable for everything that goes on on his boat. Letting people break the law while you turn a blinds eye shows lack of respect for the fisheries in general

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
I couldnt agree more as according to maritime law the CAPTAIN is responsable for everything that goes on on his boat. Letting people break the law while you turn a blinds eye shows lack of respect for the fisheries in general
you are 100% right the captain is responsible for what happens on his boat

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't disagree that the captain has responsibility. My point earlier is what is a captain or mate to do if a fare just completely ignores what they're being told to do. I would hate to see the situation get confrontational and someone get hurt, including other law abiding patrons of the boat.

Unfortunately what seems to be happening on this boat if the reports are accurate is blatant disregard by the people fishing on board as well as by the captain fishing on a wreck loaded with sea bass as I'm guessing very few target species being cod, pollack or ling were caught. If that's true, truthfully the captain should be fined even more but who makes that determination.

I doubt it to be the case but who knows maybe the captain called the Division of Fish and Game to be at the dock when they got back. Doubt it but trying to give the captains the benefit of the doubt. We've all seen some crazy scenes including fights on party boats in our lives and I'd would hate to see someone get hurt over keeping undersize or out of season fish. Let the guys who are responsible for patrolling this this do their jobs. As I said, the captain probably should have called the law himself and who know maybe he did.

Hammer, I have a ton of respect for you and I'm sure you run your 6 pack charters by the book but when there are 80 or 90 people on board and a few decide they're going to do as they please, I think personal safety and safety of your patrons is what's most important. I know you would do the right thing and call the authorities so they could deal with the situation back at the dock. It's a safer alternative with the same outcome. That's what the captain of J should have done and as I said maybe he did.

Dakota

·
Registered
489 Posts
Next step, MPA's coming to NJ. It happened in Cali and North Carolina. With flagrant violations, the next regulatory move will be to ban all fishing deeper than a certain depth during a certain time of year or certain areas. This will eliminate the "We're cod fishing, but these seabass won't leave us alone and they don't release well" excuse.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dakota whay guys need to realise is no matter how many guys there on the boat if they disobey the Captain in anyway that causes anyones safety it is considered an act of mutiny and is a federal offense.
the person in question would have alot bigger problems than a F&G fine.
I have been on boats where the mates would walk around and throw fish that were not legal t be kept immediatly back into the water. I think if more boats did that as a regular basis guys would get the hint very quickly and these type of occurances would start to happen less.

what suprises me is how often captains on many different boats want to say its not their responsability to make sure patrons are adhering to F&G rules as they are not getting paid to do so .
They are being paid to take someone fishing so they are responsable .
Does not matter now how many anglers got ticketed the black eye now is on the boat in Question , shame to now have a black cloud that could have been prevented

1,392 Posts
Hammer you hit it right on the head. The scope if Maritime law is immense to say the least and for anyone to defend the Captns lack of actions is as bad as defending blatant violations. If you disobey the captains orders, raise the anchor and set sail for home, not move so everyone can get thier limit!!!! If this is indeed is what happened then the Captain has to go down w/ the ship and should be fined fish for fish. It's one thing for a patron to slip a short in season fish in the box, and I've seen it where the mate refused to clean a short fish, and an entirely different ball game when you have several hundred illegal fish on board!!!
I fish to feed my family just like this and every other captain/boat owner does, if I/we follow the rules, all must do the same for this thing to work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been on boats where the mates would walk around and throw fish that were not legal t be kept immediatly back into the water. I think if more boats did that as a regular basis guys would get the hint very quickly and these type of occurances would start to happen less.
[/QUOTE]

Can't agree with you more Dan. If this is done by the mates immediately, it sets the tone for who is in charge on the trip.

·
Registered
449 Posts
seabass

They should trow the book at the captain. He fishes enough and new just what he was doing fishing 80 miles off what do you think you are going to catch

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sea bass and other fish limits

This whole discussion shouldn't even be happening. We have been beat down to the point where we are fighting over what the rules are and what the captain and crew told the passengers the rules are. We know what the bleeping rules are and we know how many fish are out there. We know that if you have sensible limits (for everybody) and if you aren't dragging or setting nets on everything there will be a good amount of fish.
The self perpetuating 3rd party intrusion which is constantly growing is what needs to be addressed and held accountable. It goes way beyond fishing. The people need to speak.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.