BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently made a evolve style motor for my Outback. It was pretty simple and did not cost much and beats spending $2100 on an evolve unit. I plan on testing it out today in the local lake after work. I'll report tomorrow. More info is on my blog. http://kayakdannj.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Those filler plugs that come with the boat are very weak. The little tabs that fit into the click and go break off easily. I would have replaced the tabs with a spare stainless drive shaft and then filled the entire plug with epoxy resin and ceramic beads or at least chopped glass creating a solid, strong insert with stainless bar to transfer the energy to the boat. Of course you would have to drill the hole down from the top for the motor shaft but epoxy drills easily.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Most guys fill the plug with expanding foam with good luck. Second the stainless rod to replace the nubs. Just made a trolling mount out of pvc for the rod holders. Search Tom Kirkman pvc motor mount for details.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I plan on testing it first and then go from there. I thought about using some kind of SS rod for the latches but want to see how strong the plug really is.

As for the battery, I am going to use a Deep Cycle I sell at the shop, group 24 and 27 and test a few spots on the kayak to find the best location and go from there.

If you check the blog I tried a waterproof marine foam and it did not work inside the plug. Not sure why, but I do plan on doing something still with it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Dan, I use a Group 27 deep cycle marine battery with my 30lb minn kota. Tank well mounted on my PA12. I'm getting about 2 hrs run time on high. Mileage goes up with a lower setting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts