BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can't remember the last wedding I went to where the couple was not living together before the wedding. After hundreds of years of waiting for the wedding night, or pretending to, cohabitation is the accepted norm before marriage. Got to thinking about it when it was reported that Tim Tebows girlfriend split because he wouldn't sex. Will he ever be able to find a virgin? Is there any such thing a virgin on the wedding day anymore?

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the average age Americans lose their virginities (defined here as vaginal sexual intercourse) is 17.1 for both men and women. The CDC also reports that virgins make up 12.3 percent of females and 14.3 percent of males aged 20 to 24

·
Registered
13,328 Posts
No, it's a good idea to seek adequate counseling and understanding of what you're doing before marriage. Marriage *does not* depend on what happens in bed.

37 years and counting. I know others here have been married longer and I'm sure many of those did so without sleeping together. OK, not sure, but I'd guess that's the case.

Good sex takes imagination. Good marriage takes a commitment to a covenant. Another word most don't understand.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
No, it's a good idea to seek adequate counseling and understanding of what you're doing before marriage. Marriage *does not* depend on what happens in bed.

37 years and counting. I know others here have been married longer and I'm sure many of those did so without sleeping together. OK, not sure, but I'd guess that's the case.

Good sex takes imagination. Good marriage takes a commitment to a covenant. Another word most don't understand.
My wife and I did it(live together for a year) before getting married. It had NOTHING to do with sex, it was just a matter of seeing if we could tolerate each other. lol as for counseling....never been to one for anything and don't see how a complete stranger can help a couple or anyone. never did and still don't understand how people pay a stranger to listen to their potential problem. I got friends and family that i can talk to if i need to bend someones ear.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
I'm sure part of it is that women want independence from home now. So instead of living with thier parents until marriage they shack up. Also, two paying the bills helps too. I'm guilty :)

·
Premium Member
13,514 Posts
My wife and I did it(live together for a year) before getting married. It had NOTHING to do with sex, it was just a matter of seeing if we could tolerate each other.
This is what we did (even 30 years ago). Because my (future) in-laws considered my (future) wife a "good" Catholic girl, we kept the fact that we were living together a secret from them (even still). As LBI SurfRat mentioned, we did it to ensure we could tolerate each other (good thing I was on my best behavior) and for financial reasons. She had just rented a new apartment. I had just moved to the area, and it didn't make financial sense for us both to rent places for the 9 months until we made it official.

·
Administrator
49,998 Posts
My wife and I did it(live together for a year) before getting married. It had NOTHING to do with sex, it was just a matter of seeing if we could tolerate each other.
You too then should be commended along with Tebow for remaining celibate till you could tolerate each other :thumbsup:

·
Registered
796 Posts
My wife and I are friends with a couple that are getting married in April. They have been dating for 5 or so years and have not lived together, they just bought a town home together, which he is moving into in January and she will move into with him after the wedding. The situation seemed weird to me, but both of them are normal people and fun to hangout with. The women's mother wanted the couple to keep it old school and they have respected her wishes.

I, on the other hand lived with my wife for 3 years before we got married. We wanted to see if we were compatible roommates and could devey up expenses before we made a commitment to marriage. I jokingly refer to her as my "roommate" to people in conversation all the time. :D

·
Registered
13,328 Posts
My wife and I did it(live together for a year) before getting married. It had NOTHING to do with sex, it was just a matter of seeing if we could tolerate each other. lol as for counseling....never been to one for anything and don't see how a complete stranger can help a couple or anyone. never did and still don't understand how people pay a stranger to listen to their potential problem. I got friends and family that i can talk to if i need to bend someones ear.
btw, I get the point it's not about the sex... and by "counseling" I'm really not talking about paying for it, per se.

I'm involved in a Christian community that involves church, family, my own personal life etc. There is a L O T of wisdom out there that is available for those who seek it. Involving both people, learning what a commitment is, learning what a covenant to each other is. Learning what giving your own word and making a vow is all about. Things like that.

The old concept of being "betrothed" involved exactly what your talking about, where in those old cultures the husband assumed marriage responsibility for the wife without sex. Today the term "courtship" involves the same thing without having to live together. "Tolerate" carries a lot of meaning, but living together is not necessary if you both approach it right.

·
Registered
22,490 Posts
We didn't (60 yrs) Good Thread!!! It poses a question though, Why is the divorce so high in the country?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts