BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just wanted to remind everyone that this time of year is a great time to help keep our fishing waters clean. Due to the lack of growth around lakes and rivers and the warm temps we have had here it is prime time to pick up a little trash. I have twice so far brought a trash bag with me while fishing around my local lakes and while walking the edge have filled those bags with everything from coffee cups, beer bottles/cans, other plastic bags, food wrappers, styrofoam, plastic water/soda bottles etc etc. If everyone does this once or twice a year we can really make an impact on the unsightly and unhealthy affects it has on our fishing waters. Hope to see some people posting that they did their part.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Great post, it really can make a huge impact. Especially if you are catfishing or carping, or even fishing for stripers! Put a bell on your rod tip and go for a walk with a bag, will definitely keep your patience up while waiting for a bite, and that good karma could be rewarding ;)

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Great idea and I just wanted to add something. If you are going to pick it up you might as well take it with you. A buddy and I picked up about 1/2 a trash bag at one of our favorite spots. It took 5 minutes tops. We figured that we would leave the bag near where an already full can was so others could use it and 1 week later we went back and most of the trash was back on the ground. this time we took it and put it in the dumpster of a convenience store on the way home.

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
Great idea if you fish with kids too. If my son starts to get bored, I send him out with the trash bag. Nice thing about having a pickup, he can toss it right in the back, and we can toss it in the trashcan when we get home

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yes forgot to mention taking it with you or dispose of properly.... great job everyone that does this. Thanks for making a difference. I am in agreement with whomever spoke of good karma also. We as fisherman will take any help we can get....;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just FYI, the South Jersey Bass Club Association created a program, in conjunction with the NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife, in which our member clubs can "adopt" NJ Wildlife Management Area lakes and do shoreline clean-ups a few times a year. So far four lakes have been adopted (Audrey, Rainbow, Maple & Oak). If you're in a club that's a member of the SJBCA, give some thought to participating in this program.

Also, the SJBCA itself will be scheduling a parking lot/shoreline clean-up at Union Lake WMA sometime during the NJ bass closed season. We haven't set the date yet, but I'll try to remember to post a note here in case anyone is interested in helping out. (This one will probably be a huge project.:mad:)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Great post Billy. You're right I'm gonna take a bag with me and spend a little time grabbing as much garbage as possible. I gotta do it now because when it greens up I wear boots and don't touch anything that could have me scratching. 35 years of poison ivy.....I learned :)

-Matt

·
Registered
206 Posts
GOOD CALL! I have my kids grab some of the dog poop bags that state puts out and we fill them....with trash. We walk marsh creek lake which is kept low this time of year. It gives us an opportunity to clean up all the line along the shore as well

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
awesome to hear guys. Ya know every little bit helps and the worst is the seeing the fishing line everywhere because you know it was a fellow angler that left it...:thumbsdown:. When I was out last with my nephew fishing we were at a pond and I saw a Goose with the plastic that holds a six pack wrapped around its neck. I have never seen this in person before but it was very sad to see as it was clearly affected by it as it could not keep up with the flock it was following. I make it a point to rip them up before I throw them away as I have always heard of that happening but never seen it. Wish they would be banned all together now. I mean I can totally see that Goose diving down to feed and that thing getting caught on a branch or something in the water and then drowning! We use and discard things that have an impact on the environment and don't even realize it. I am no tree hugger or activest by any means although this post may sound like it. I prefer to to look at it as i'm getting a little wiser and seeing things in a different light as I grow older. Glad to see so many are taking notice and doing their part also....:thumbsup:. Great job gang....:bow:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.