BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very interesting weekend under the dock lights.

Blues, blues everywhere! man are they quick. Sizes from about 6 in to 1-2 lbs. Same size stripers mixed in with them. Everytime a bait or lure hit the surface about a dozen or so would come to investigate. The stripers and blues would get real active and chase the enormous amounts of peanut bunker and finger mullet traveling through. Neat to watch from above.

Some larger stripers would wander through every once in a while. Looked up to about 30 in. Kept 1 slot Fri. nite and 1 slot Sat nite. Lost several bigguns in the pilings, but that's pretty typical. Depends on which way their first run is. Oh well. Used small storms and swimming shads. Live peanuts too.

Switched to bloodworms on the bottom and started catching the following

(4) Porgy to 11 in.
(7) Scup to 12 in.
(1) Sheepshead?? 13 in.
(2) Sea Bass 4 in and 15 in.
(2) tog both 8 in.
(1) Black Drum! 14 in.
(3) Spot
(2) Fluke 8-9 in.
(1) Oyster Cracker
(1) Sea Robin

Total for two nites. All released except the two slots. Bass and blues top of outgoing. Rest bottom of incoming. Not much sleep this weekend but lots of fun.

Behind Wildwood.

·
Registered
52,619 Posts
DAVE--NOT THAT YOU HAVE TO BUT HAVE YOU EVER CHUMMED AND HAD THE LIGHTS ON.
WEAKIES--HAVE THEY BEEN MISSING,

DAVE--YOU SHOULD ADVERTISE OPEN DOCK FISHING?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jack-

I've thrown clam bellies off the dock (nite and day) on the incoming and caught lots of stripers. but that's about smell not lights. Never really needed to chum under the lights the fish are there without it.

Maybe i'll try it next time when i'm really frustrated because I can't get anything to bite a lure or bait.

You are only right down the street you should stop by one nite.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No weakies this year at all. Last year no blues all weakies with the stripers. Weakies (up to 26 in) showed up mid august and were back every nite for more than a month. This year none. I can't catch a weakfish (anywhere) to save my life. Shame.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Sugar,

Isn't a porgy and a scup the same fish?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I thought so too. but I checked the fish ID book (Petersons Field Guide), and the two fish were different. The porgy was more silvery with no bands and the scup was browner with several darker vertical bands. Whatever I was looking at there was a distinct difference between the two.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
soooooo where is this dock? Ill give it a shot

hey, aint much to do in villas except troll for ho's!!!

:D :D :D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts