BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
according to the way the regulations read , DOD is off limits for the Months of April and May... simply because in that area , Deleware fish and wild life has jurisdiction in that area to the C&D canal only in that area is closed to fishing ... even if you are fishing on land from jersey , its Delaware's waters ... Just some FYI ... not trying to start a big thing but I'd figure I'd share it to those who are not up on the regs..

[ 03-27-2004, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: canyon caster ]

·
Registered
782 Posts
TIDAL FRESHWATER ? The striped bass season will close in all tidal waters of the Nanticoke Watershed, as well as the Delaware River and its tributaries from Reedy Point north ? including the C&D Canal on April 1, so fishermen still have a few days to enjoy the action at hotspots like Battery Park, Dobbinsville Beach, the New Castle Ice Breakers and Cherry Island Flats on the Delaware, and at Phillips Landing on Broad Creek. After the season closes the best bets for fishermen who want to keep a fish or two will be Augustine Beach, Sam Green?s Beach, the Pipes, Fort Dupont, the Yellow Can and the Bullpen ? all located south of Reedy Point. Bloodworms continue to be the most effective bait for the rockfish in the Delaware River, while reports from the Nanticoke show fresh herring to be the bait of choice. White perch are hitting in most of the state?s tidal waters, with fishermen using bloodworms and grass shrimp. Action on big channel cats continues to improve in the state?s tidal waters. Effective baits for the catfish include cut bait, night crawlers, liver and bloodworms.

http://www.dnrec.state.de.us/fw/fishreport.htm

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hmm...tough call for the CO's...personally I would like to see it stopped as the area from the CI flats to the CBB is a prime spawning area (and remember NJ is not a producer State...LOL). Truthfully though....while everyone there is only doing "catch and release" there is a lot of "catch & fillet" going on...just MHO being born and raised in Carney's Point...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Originally posted by birdwatcherus:
Hmm...tough call for the CO's...personally I would like to see it stopped as the area from the CI flats to the CBB is a prime spawning area (and remember NJ is not a producer State...LOL). Truthfully though....while everyone there is only doing "catch and release" there is a lot of "catch & fillet" going on...just MHO being born and raised in Carney's Point...
I AGREE!!!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Why is striped bass season closed in the Delaware river when the Atlantic States Marine Fishery Council declared the Delaware and Hudson river are no longer considered producing areas? The spawning area closures are not required now since NJ lost it's producer status.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Captblock... I am sorry, but are you actually applying logic to fisheries management? You should know better.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Originally posted by fmTuna:
Captblock... I am sorry, but are you actually applying logic to fisheries management? You should know better.
:D Too true.

I think if you look on a map the DE border extends across the river to the NJ shoreline from Marcus Hook to Reedy point.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Spoke to game commisioner yesterday. In Delaware county, fishing for striper is not prohibited during the spawn, however they patrols will be in full force. They are having a problem in and around Hog Island with poached fish due to the Chinese Market selling them for $6/lb. They are often raiding the market and flipping fish, looking for tags. I understand rules are rules, and I agree that fish should not really be disturbed during the spawn, but It disturbed me that the game commisioner said "I would rather see you release a fish and it float away, than find one on your boat." Please be careful not to gut hook or work your fishies to deaths door.

Tight Lines all!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If standing on land at high tide you are in NJ
but stripers must be a bi-catch and not targeted.
Season closed april & may.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Originally posted by Bassin' Large:
It disturbed me that the game commisioner said "I would rather see you release a fish and it float away, than find one on your boat." Please be careful not to gut hook or work your fishies to deaths door.

Tight Lines all!
Hmmm, interesting statement. I wonder if circles will be required in more areas.

=================================================
"An assumed constant 8% mortality rate for released striped bass is incorporated into state and federal management plans to set seasons and limits."

"Overall, 9.1% of the striped bass caught on conventional hooks died whereas only 0.8% of the fish caught on circle hooks died."

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/fishingreport/crsb.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts