BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a Bay fisherman. I now live near the old DOD facility on the river. When can I expect the stripers to become active at this DOD site? Any hints for success once they turn on? Thanks and great site.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I have fished this area alot last year and have done very well. Once the bass are up the river, it is awesome. Water temp. plays a key role. I would look to begin seeing some light action starting about mid to late March and run through Month of April, and into May. My best day on the river was on April 26, 2003. My son and I caught about 40 bass. Boated a 45'on that day. If you're in a boat, get yourself into about 12-14ft water, circle hooks and alot of blood worms. The down side of fishing in the river is alot of small stuff will hit the bloods. But be patient, when a striper hits, look out. Nothing better. Keep in mind that it's all C&R. Anything below C.B.B no license is needed, once you're north of C.B.B. you need a license. Good luck. Ipp

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've been fishin there since 1988 and running
charters there for 2years.There are fish every
where.Bloods and time is all you need.Last year
St.pats day 8 stripers in 3hrs 42degree water.
the sun helps the most in the spring on the flats.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Caught alot of Fish in that area. Just gotta put in the time and be there when the Cows come Home! :D

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I would say about April you will see the bass become plentiful , but like Darrin mentioned "if"the weather pattern stays like this it may be sooner ... I'll be down there as well. Last year was one of my best years down there ..avg size was 34"+... good luck ...the bait of choice was blood worms ... it can get crowded down there fast , parking can be a bear(very tight) especially on nice days during the weekends there are alot of barners that will be fishing down there myself included , check in with the barn or e-mail me and you'll know when the time is right ... Ipp hit the nail on the Head with the lots of bloodworms, the White perch (bait stealers ) will definately be a pain.. once they come around I say pack it up and wiat for the tide change, best time to go get them would be after the first hour of incoming to high then then 2hrs from the start of out going ... [Hint] .. if you arrive at dead low tide most likely the bait stealers (white perch) will me in full force, they bite like croakers , quick and fast , when the stripers start moving in you will see that the bite will shut off like a switch... When I go there i set up , then watch the other guys fishing fo a bit , if the perch bite is hot then I will sit and wait ( save bait, bloods are expensive, then when the perch bite stops then its time for the big boys to play..

If it was anything like last year every cast will produce a bass.. Just keep in mind its catch and release in that area...

[ 03-02-2004, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: canyon caster ]

·
Registered
92 Posts
can someone clarify the catch and release rules for that area. I checked around the NJ fish and game site and could not find specific regulations. I think it's catch and release until 6/1 and you must use in line circles. Is that correct?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Ken,
From the best of my knowledge the Catch and release starts April 1st and continues on until June 1st. Also as for the circle hooks I believe they are NOT required below the CBB because this is considered to be Saltwater at that point. I may not be right on the info so look for a second opinion but that is what the rules and regs were last year and I have not heard of any changes for this season.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Originally posted by fishinphanatic12:
Ken,
From the best of my knowledge the Catch and release starts April 1st and continues on until June 1st. Also as for the circle hooks I believe they are NOT required below the CBB because this is considered to be Saltwater at that point. I may not be right on the info so look for a second opinion but that is what the rules and regs were last year and I have not heard of any changes for this season.
Paul,
You are correct , anything north of the Comm Barry must use circle hooks, cannot be offset, and they cannot be any smaller than a size 2..

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Andy,
Thanks for the confirmation now we have to get out and wet a line together real soon. I am getting the itch real bad now just to make the time to get out....LOL

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Paul,

I'm thinking the same ... I'm itching bad I went to Bauers pond on Monday brought minnies.. nothing happened... I think the minnies got hypothermia...LOL I'm ready

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
LOL.....I talked to a coupl of guys on my way into work this evening and they had one short other then that they said nothing was happening. I will keep you updated I am thinking of maybe possibly trying to get out for a couple of hours on Saturday....We will see

1 - 13 of 13 Posts